Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 12:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Importance of undergrad GPA 6-7 years after university

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Importance of undergrad GPA 6-7 years after university [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 14:20
Hi everyone,

I graduated from my undergrad in 2007, and unfortunately had a less than stellar GPA throughout my four years.

I've read a number of times that undergrad GPA becomes 'less important' to the admissions committee the farther away you are from undergrad. Since it's been 6 years since I graduated (7 years at matriculation for 2014 intake), will this be considered 'far enough away' from graduation that adcoms will be a bit more lenient on my GPA? Or at what point does it become less important to the adcom?

Cheers, thanks everyone.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE: Accounting (Law)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 18

Re: Importance of undergrad GPA 6-7 years after university [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 15:22
kdub09 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I graduated from my undergrad in 2007, and unfortunately had a less than stellar GPA throughout my four years.

I've read a number of times that undergrad GPA becomes 'less important' to the admissions committee the farther away you are from undergrad. Since it's been 6 years since I graduated (7 years at matriculation for 2014 intake), will this be considered 'far enough away' from graduation that adcoms will be a bit more lenient on my GPA? Or at what point does it become less important to the adcom?

Cheers, thanks everyone.

Honestly, I've never heard of undergrad GPA becoming less important the farther you are away from it... Here's my thought process... your undergraduate GPA is the last time you were in a educational setting most applicable to MBA and is probably the most important factor alongside your GMAT on how you will handle the rigor of an MBA program. The harsh reality of admissions is that your GPA in undergrad is set in stone and it's not something you can cover up so your best bet is to be honest about it. Even if you have extenuating circumstances for a low GPA, your GMAT will have to make up for that. Anything within the 3 range can be forgiven if you have a strong GMAT and can explain that you maybe switched majors or there were factors out of your control. Anything with a 2 on it and then you will really have to go above and beyond by taking courses now to show that you can handle the rigor and that the undergrad GPA is just a fluke.

Now while I'm being realistic, always keep in mind that the MBA admissions process is a holistic process. If you have a low undergraduate GPA, don't hide or avoid addressing it. Be honest about it and show ways how the rest of your profile indicates you are worthy of an admission to a great MBA school.

Good luck!
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

Re: Importance of undergrad GPA 6-7 years after university [#permalink] New post 22 Jul 2013, 18:05
Expert's post
Hey - cross posting this from another place - not sure which one you're checking!

Hmm, what does less than stellar mean?

There are two parts to my answer. From the perspective of utilizing the GPA to gauge your analytical capabilities, yes, the importance of the GPA wanes over time. However, schools still report this metric and it impacts rankings, so it doesn't disappear ever.

The reason I ask what your GPA was is because if you had a 3.1, then not that big a deal. But if it's a 2.3, different story!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Importance of undergrad GPA 6-7 years after university [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2013, 08:25
Expert's post
kdub09 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Cheers, thanks everyone.

Well, it's a little bit true, but just maybe not said in the right way. Basically, experience is probably more important than your GPA, and if in your experience you have succeeded, it can make a poor GPA matter much less. So if you say got a poor GPA but a fantastic job and have succeeded in moving up faster than your peers in a great company, it's much better than having a great GPA and poor work advancement.

And this is where time comes in. I mean, how much will you advance in two years? But if you have six years, you can make some real waves.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Re: Importance of undergrad GPA 6-7 years after university [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 18:22
Thanks for the insights everyone, much appreciated and very helpful! (for the record, to answer CriticalSquareMBA, I had a 2.95 GPA).
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 101 [0], given: 0

Re: Importance of undergrad GPA 6-7 years after university [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2013, 12:30
Expert's post
Our pleasure - glad we could help! You'll definitely have to pay attention to how you address the 2.95, FYI!

Good luck,

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Importance of undergrad GPA 6-7 years after university   [#permalink] 25 Jul 2013, 12:30