Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [68]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3379 [36]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [8]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 250 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: In addition to being China's first administrators, in the sense that [#permalink]
Kudos
D.

In addition to being China’s first administrators, in the sense that they developed a coherent bureaucracy for their empire....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [0]
Send PM
Re: In addition to being China's first administrators, in the sense that [#permalink]
consider SV agreement and "known for" vs "known as".

I'm not sure this one is retired or not!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 783 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
can we say "known as someone"?

"known for something", but "known TO BE someone"... so D's construction is wrong in that case...

thanks for the :idea:

D or E... "its" in E isn't that clear, so I will stick with D despite "known" part

Originally posted by u2lover on 20 Jul 2006, 20:58.
Last edited by u2lover on 20 Jul 2006, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 448 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
freetheking wrote:
consider SV agreement and "known for" vs "known as".

I'm not sure this one is retired or not!

D. i guess both work. but what "it" stands for in E? if it is for shang, which is used as plural, its wrong...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Picking D.
Correct S-V agreement.
' its ' in E seems wrong.

In addition to being China’s first administrators, in the sense that they developed a coherent bureaucracy for their empire, the Shang were the first literate culture in East Asia and are well known as the crafters of ornate bronze ritual vessels.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 944 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
I think E has two errors.
1. verb tense
2. pronoun
the Shang were the first literate culture in East Asia and (were) well known for its crafted

What if this sentence revised as follow

the Shang were the first literate culture in East Asia and are well known for their crafted

still D stands??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 966 [0]
Send PM
u2lover wrote:

"known for something", but "known TO BE someone"... so D's construction is wrong in that case...

D or E... "its" in E isn't that clear, so I will stick with D despite "known" part

"known as" perfectly alright to use.. "its" in E refers to Shang. But Shang is pluaral as suggested by first part of the sentence - " the sense that they developed "
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
freetheking wrote:
In addition to being China’s first administrators, in the sense that they developed a coherent bureaucracy for their empire, the first literate culture in East Asia were the Shang, and they were well known for crafting ornate bronze ritual vessels.

A. the first literate culture in East Asia were the Shang, and they were well known for crafting
B. the first literate culture in East Asia were the Shang, well known as the crafters of
C. the Shang, as the first literate culture in East Asia, is well known for its crafting
D. the Shang were the first literate culture in East Asia and are well known as the crafters of
E. the Shang were the first literate culture in East Asia and well known for its crafted

D for me
The Shang were, not the Shang was. C is out.
A, B out, because introductory phrase must be followed by that which it modifies.
E "for its crafted" is incorrect, since Shang is plural
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Send PM
u2lover wrote:

It's perfectly alright.

"Sherlock Holmes is known as one of the greatest detectives."

D is clear winner here.

Underlined portion should start with the name of "China’s first administrators".

So A,B and C are out.

In E, "its" is incorrect pronoun. It should be plural.

Regards,
Brajesh
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 213 [1]
Send PM
D. the Shang were the first literate culture in East Asia and are well known as the crafters of

"China's first administrators" cannot modify "literate". It has to be "the Shang".

Norrow choices: C, D, E

C is wrong due to "is" should be plural are/were

E does not have any reference for "well known for its crafted"

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I WAS CONFUSED BETWEEN D &E , BUT IN E ITS REFER TO SUBJECT .AND AS SUBJECT IS PLURAL ,ACCORDING TO S-V AGREEMENT ,IT SHOULD BE LEFT REPLACED BY THEIR ..SO D IS RULED OUT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
D is correct answer, wrong usages of its and it in C and E.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1586 [1]
Given Kudos: 579
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GPA: 3.35
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
HI broall , Vyshak ,

Please tag as GMATPrep EP2. Have got the question in today mock.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
anairamitch1804 wrote:
In the given sentence, the
modifier is "In addition to being". By the touch rule this modifier modifies, "The first literate culture".

Is the first literate culture, China's first administrator? No! The Shang was!

The opening modifier "in addition to being..." must modify the subject of the independent clause. The only logical subject is "the Shang." We can eliminate A and B.

In English, collective nouns for ethnic groups / families/dynasties / proper names for sports teams, etc, will be plural (unlike other collective nouns):
The Welsh have delightful accents.
The Medici were avid art collectors.
The Heat (basketball team) play in Miami.

So in this sentence, "the Shang" must be plural. Eliminate C.
In E, "and" should connect two verbs. However, "and well known" is a participial modifier. This isn't parallel.
The correct answer is D.

That's a great explanation maá'm, IMO option D should have been something like this, because they were a thing of past. Please explain me if I am thinking wrong.
D. the Shang were the first literate culture in East Asia and were [ instead of are ] well known as the crafters of
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30796 [4]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos