Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3067 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [2]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q46  V48
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3067 [0]
Send PM
Re: In most earthquakes the Earths crust cracks like porcelain. Stress bu [#permalink]
Here is my selection:
(1) D
(2) E
(3) C
(4) A
(5) D
(6) D
(7) E
(8) A
(9) B

I wonder how to approach (4).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
Re: In most earthquakes the Earths crust cracks like porcelain. Stress bu [#permalink]
Raffie wrote:
I disagree with Blackbelt on the following two:

3. It can be inferred from the passage that if the S waves from an earthquake arrive at a given location long after the P waves, which of the following must be true?
(A) The earthquake was a deep event.
(B) The earthquake was a shallow event.
(C) The earthquake focus was distant.
(D) The earthquake focus was nearby.
(E) The earthquake had a low peak intensity.

I think only C is supported by the following passage: "Because P and S waves travel at different but fairly constant speeds, the interval between their arrivals increases in proportion to the distance from the earthquake focus, or rupture point. "

9. The author’s explanation of how deep events occur would be most weakened if which of the following were discovered to be true?
(A) Deep events are far less common than shallow events.
(B) Deep events occur in places other than where crustal plates meet.
(C) Mantle rock is more ductile at a depth of several hundred kilometers than it is at 50 kilometers.
(D) The speeds of both P and S waves are slightly greater than previously thought.
(E) Below 650 kilometers earthquakes cease to occur

The final paragraph contains the following: "Wadati’s work suggested that deep events occur in areas (now called Wadati-Benioff zones) where one crustal plate is forced under another " From this I think the answer relates to crustal plates, and the answer must be B.

Before I saw Blackbelt's answers I had A for no 6 but I now agree that D is right.

Agree w/ 3: C and 9:B

4: A???? what?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3067 [0]
Send PM
Obviously, I think it gets easier to get convinced (esp for (4)) after looking at the OA. Here are the OAs from RC1000 but I am pretty sure a few of them are wrong.

(1)C
(2)E
(3)A
(4)C
(5)D
(6)D
(7)E
(8)A
(9)B
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Send PM
eyunni wrote:
Obviously, I think it gets easier to get convinced (esp for (4)) after looking at the OA. Here are the OAs from RC1000 but I am pretty sure a few of them are wrong.

(1)C
(2)E
(3)A
(4)C
(5)D
(6)D
(7)E
(8)A
(9)B

oh hehe, these are the OA's :P thx whw. looks like was wrong on 1 and 9... hmmm i guess I can see 1 as C b/c of the questions the author uses in the passage. he uses the questions to defend the theory... thats kinda lame
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2761 [0]
Send PM
7. Information presented in the passage suggests that, compared with seismic activity at the epicenter of a shallow event, seismic activity at the epicenter of a deep event is characterized by
(A) shorter P-S intervals and higher peak intensity
(B) shorter P-S intervals and lower peak intensity
(C) longer P-S intervals and similar peak intensity
(D) longer P-S intervals and higher peak intensity
(E) longer P-S intervals and lower peak intensity

Why is the answer E. Where in the text is it said "lower peak intensity"? Can someone help me??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
In most earthquakes the Earth’s crust cracks like porcelain. Stress builds up until a fracture forms at a depth of a few kilometers and the crust slips to relieve the stress. Some earthquakes, however, take place hundreds of kilometers down in the Earth’s mantle, where high pressure makes rock so ductile that it flows instead of cracking, even under stress severe enough to deform it like putty. How can there be earthquakes at such depths?
That such deep events do occur has been accepted only since 1927, when the seismologist Kiyoo Wadati convincingly demonstrated their existence. Instead of comparing the arrival times of seismic waves at different locations, as earlier researchers had done. Wadati relied on a time difference between the arrival of primary (P) waves and the slower secondary (S) waves. Because P and S waves travel at different but fairly constant speeds, the interval between their arrivals increases in proportion to the distance from the earthquake focus, or rupture point.
For most earthquakes, Wadati discovered, the interval was quite short near the epicenter, the point on the surface where shaking is strongest. For a few events, however, the delay was long even at the epicenter. Wadati saw a similar pattern when he analyzed data on the intensity of shaking. Most earthquakes had a small area of intense shaking, which weakened rapidly with increasing distance from the epicenter, but others were characterized by a lower peak intensity, felt over a broader area. Both the P-S intervals and the intensity patterns suggested two kinds of earthquakes: the more common shallow events, in which the focus lay just under the epicenter, and deep events, with a focus several hundred kilometers down.
The question remained: how can such quakes occur, given that mantle rock at a depth of more than 50 kilometers is too ductile to store enough stress to fracture? Wadati’s work suggested that deep events occur in areas (now called Wadati-Benioff zones) where one crustal plate is forced under another and descends into the mantle. The descending rock is substantially cooler than the surrounding mantle and hence is less ductile and much more liable to fracture.

1. The passage is primarily concerned with
(A) demonstrating why the methods of early seismologists were flawed
(B) arguing that deep events are poorly understood and deserve further study
(C) defending a revolutionary theory about the causes of earthquakes and methods of predicting them
(D) discussing evidence for the existence of deep events and the conditions that allow them to occur
(E) comparing the effects of shallow events with those of deep events
2. The author uses the comparisons to porcelain and putty (lines 2 and 8) in order to
(A) explain why the Earth’s mantle is under great pressure
(B) distinguish the earthquake’s epicenter from its focus
(C) demonstrate the conditions under which a Wadati-Benioff zone forms
(D) explain why S waves are slower than P waves
(E) illustrate why the crust will fracture but the mantle will not
3. It can be inferred from the passage that if the S waves from an earthquake arrive at a given location long after the P waves, which of the following must be true?
(A) The earthquake was a deep event.
(B) The earthquake was a shallow event.
(C) The earthquake focus was distant.
(D) The earthquake focus was nearby.
(E) The earthquake had a low peak intensity.
4. The method used by Wadati to determine the depths of earthquakes is most like which of the following?
(A) Determining the depth of a well by dropping stones into the well and timing how long they take to reach the bottom
(B) Determining the height of a mountain by measuring the shadow it casts at different times of the day
(C) Determining the distance from a thunderstorm by timing the interval between the flash of a lightning bolt and the thunder it produces
(D) Determining the distance between two points by counting the number of paces it takes to cover the distance and measuring a single pace
(E) Determining the speed at which a car is traveling by timing how long it takes to travel a known distance
5. The passage supports which of the following statements about the relationship between the epicenter and the focus of an earthquake?
(A) P waves originate at the focus and S waves originate at the epicenter.
(B) In deep events the epicenter and the focus are reversed.
(C) In shallow events the epicenter and the focus coincide.
(D) In both deep and shallow events the focus lies beneath the epicenter.
(E) The epicenter is in the crust, whereas the focus is in the mantle.
6. The passage suggests that which of the following must take place in order for any earthquake to occur?
I. Stress must build up.
II. Cool rock must descend into the mantle.
III. A fracture must occur.
(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and III only
(E) I, II, and III
7. Information presented in the passage suggests that, compared with seismic activity at the epicenter of a shallow event, seismic activity at the epicenter of a deep event is characterized by
(A) shorter P-S intervals and higher peak intensity
(B) shorter P-S intervals and lower peak intensity
(C) longer P-S intervals and similar peak intensity
(D) longer P-S intervals and higher peak intensity
(E) longer P-S intervals and lower peak intensity
8. The passage suggests which of the following about the views held by researchers before 1927?
(A) Some researchers did not believe that deep events could actually occur.
(B) Many researchers rejected the use of P-S intervals for determining the depths of earthquakes.
(C) Some researchers doubted that the mantle was too ductile to store the stress needed for an earthquake.
(D) Most researchers expected P waves to be slower than S waves.
(E) Few researchers accepted the current model of how shallow events occur.
9. The author’s explanation of how deep events occur would be most weakened if which of the following were discovered to be true?
(A) Deep events are far less common than shallow events.
(B) Deep events occur in places other than where crustal plates meet.
(C) Mantle rock is more ductile at a depth of several hundred kilometers than it is at 50 kilometers.
(D) The speeds of both P and S waves are slightly greater than previously thought.
(E) Below 650 kilometers earthquakes cease to occur.

OA:
1. C 2. E 3. A 4. C 5. D
6. D 7. E 8. A 9. B

Originally posted by verbalfight on 11 Oct 2009, 21:30.
Last edited by verbalfight on 14 Oct 2009, 05:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Guys, please provide explanation for 1 and 3.
I have issues with the OA for these two questions.

Hurry up. OA will be posted soon. :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Hi,

My answers:

1. D
2. E
3. C
4. C
5. D
6. E
7. B
8. A
9. B

What about the OA's?

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 660 Q42 V39
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.49
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
natzmyid,

For question 1, I got D for # 1 because A was far too specific and is not supported as the overarching reason for the full passage. B was never really argued. Granted it says they are poorly understood but it never argues that they should be further studied. For C I just wouldn’t use the word “defending” for the revolutionary theory about the causes of earthquakes. It doesn’t feel right to me. Could be wrong. E came close to what I would want in a primary purpose except that the text seemed a little broader than shallow versus deep events effects. So I picked D because I felt the whole passage covered it.

For question 3, other than A the only answer that might be right is C. In fact, C prob is right since the passage says “Both the P-S intervals and the intensity patterns suggested…” since it is suggested to be a deep even and the passage asks what must be true then C might just be right on second thought. What’s the OA?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V27
Send PM
My answers :

1 D
2 E
3 A
4 C
5 D
6 A
7 E
8 A
9 B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Send PM