Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:08 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7800 [5]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: In most economies, the government plays a role in the market system. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
(A) - The author takes no stance on whether surpluses are good
(B) - The author takes no stance on whether shortages are evil
(C) - the author does not take a stance on high prices and their being good/bad
(D) - cannot draw a direct relation between price ceilings and shortages
(E) - CORRECT. The line 'these actions necessarily may create shortages or surpluses' indicates that surpluses are not created intentionally but are the by-products of the actions mentioned in the preceding line

(E) is the correct answer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: In most economies, the government plays a role in the market system. [#permalink]
In most economies, the government plays a role in the market system. Governments enforce the rules of the game, impose taxes, and may control prices through price ceilings or price supports. These actions necessarily may create shortages or surpluses. In most developed and interdependent economies, the necessity of the government’s playing some role in the economy is disputed.

The author of the passage would probably agree that

A. economic surpluses are always good.Not mentioned.
B. market shortages are a necessary evil.Not mentioned
C. higher prices strengthen the economy.Not mentioned
D. price ceilings add to the shortages.Not mentioned
E. surpluses are not usually created intentionally.Since the author supports non interference by the government so this statement which leans towards favoring free economy should be agreed upon by the author.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
sayantanc2k bro, your help is required here. Please help.

I added so called J(or E) as the answer but it seems OA is D.

Could you please provide your inputs?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
abhimahna wrote:

E is not correct - government actions create surplus - this does mot imply that whether the surplus creation was intentional or unintentional.

D is also incorrect - price ceilings or price supports may create shortages or surpluses - it cannot be said (from the information in the passage), which one creates what. If the sentence were as follows, then D would be correct:

These actions may respectively create shortages or surpluses.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
sayantanc2k wrote:
abhimahna wrote:

E is not correct - government actions create surplus - this does mot imply that whether the surplus creation was intentional or unintentional.

D is also incorrect - price ceilings or price supports may create shortages or surpluses - it cannot be said (from the information in the passage), which one creates what. If the sentence were as follows, then D would be correct:

Sounds cool, thanks brother :)

So, are we saying the question in its current form is incorrect? Please confirm.

I chose E as I didn't find any other answer choice that is more stronger than E.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
abhimahna wrote:
sayantanc2k wrote:
abhimahna wrote:

Sounds cool, thanks brother :)

So, are we saying the question in its current form is incorrect? Please confirm.

I chose E as I didn't find any other answer choice that is more stronger than E.

Brother, I would hesitate to say incorrect because even in the current form option D is the best. Let's say it can be better when "respectively" is added - then there would be no ambiguity at all.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
eybrj2 wrote:
In most economies, the government plays a role in the market system. Governments enforce the “rules of the game,” impose taxes, and may control prices through price ceilings or price supports. These actions necessarily may create shortages or surpluses. In most developed and interdependent economies, the necessity of the government’s playing some role in the economy is disputed. The author of the passage would probably agree that

A) economic surpluses are always good.
B) market shortages are a necessary evil.
C) higher prices strengthen the economy.
D) price ceilings add to the shortages.
E) surpluses are not usually created intentionally.

Awful question.

I am still not agree that D has to be answer.
A,B,C are very bad.
D, E are just bad.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
don't understand how to approach the answer choices, please help
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
I agree. I assess D and E are both bad choices; however, “less bad” than A-C.

The passage suggests that shortages and surpluses can be influenced by price ceilings; the passage did not say in which direction. That said, since we are required to infer from the passage, we do know that such policy does in fact have an impact on surpluses/shortages, and therefore is the best solution of the five. IMO of course.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Send PM
tuanquang269 wrote:
I thought only choice D and E are the contenders. The others one is too extreme when using always or necessary, "strengthen" (although the author not sure).

Read again the passage in "These actions necessarily may create shortages or surpluses", we know the choice E is wrong. So, POE the only choice D is the correct one.

Both D and E have issues. D is wrong in my view because it takes away the probability by only using the word "add", such that it is definitely the case, which is not true. E has issues because it introduces the word "usually".

Thoughts?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts