Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is 1/(x-y) < y - x

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 172 [6] , given: 22

Is 1/(x-y) < y - x [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 08:09
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

23% (03:43) correct 77% (05:40) wrong based on 489 sessions
Is 1/(x - y) < y - x

(1) 1/x < 1/y
(2) 2x = 3y
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If the Q jogged your mind do Kudos me : )

Last edited by Bunuel on 10 Jul 2013, 01:31, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the OA.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: Tough DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 08:37
Proposition 1:

1/X < 1/Y

This is equal to X > Y | x, y both > 0 or both < 0

Case 1: Both > 0. X > Y, therefore X-Y >0 , Y-X <0, so 1/(X-Y) > 0 and Y-X<0 so FALSE

Case 2: X < 0, Y>0. Cross multiple and switch the signs, you get Y>X. There for Y-X>0, X-Y<0.

1/(X-Y)<0, Y-X>0, so case 2, 1/(X-Y) < (Y-X) is TRUE

Therefore statement 1 is insufficient by contradiction.

Proposition 2:

2X=3Y

Case 1: X=3, Y=2 - therefore X-Y=1, Y-X = -1

1/(X-Y) < Y-X ----> 1/1 < -1 = FALSE

Case 2: X=-3, Y=-2 - therefore X-Y=-1, Y-X = 1

1/(X-Y) < Y-X ----> 1/-1 < 1 = TRUE

Insufficient by contradicition

Both Statments together - Intutitively, neither statement removes the ambiguity of the sign of X or Y. I can't think of a proof.

Therefore answer is E.
Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3538

Kudos [?]: 27244 [10] , given: 2725

Re: Tough DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2011, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
rxs0005 wrote:
Is 1 / (x-y) < y - x

1 / x < 1 / y

2x = 3y

First of all if it were realistic GMAT question it would most likely state that xy\neq{0} and x\neq{y} (as x, y and x-y are in denominators).

Is \frac{1}{x-y}<y-x? --> is \frac{1}{x-y}+x-y<0 --> is \frac{1+(x-y)^2}{x-y}<0? as the nominator (1+(x-y)^2) is always positive then the question basically becomes whether denominator (x-y) is negative --> is x-y<0? or is x<y?

(1) \frac{1}{x}<\frac{1}{y} --> if both unknowns are positive or both unknowns are negative then y<x (if both are positive cross multiply to get y<x and if both are negative cross multiply and flip the sigh twice to get y<x again) and the answer will be NO but if x<0<y given inequality also holds true and in this case the answer will be YES (if x is any negative number and y is any positive number then \frac{1}{x}=negative<positive=\frac{1}{y}). Not sufficient.

(2) 2x=3y --> x and y have the same sign, next: \frac{x}{y}=\frac{3}{2}: if both x and y are positive (for example 3 and 2 respectively) then 0<y<x and the answer will be NO but if both x and y are negative (for example -3 and -2 respectively) then x<y<0 and the answer will be NO. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) As from (2) x and y have the same sign then from (1) y<x and the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 15

Re: Tough DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 03:24
Quote:
Is 1 / (x-y) < y - x?

1. 1 / x < 1 / y
2. 2x = 3y

equation: \frac{1}{(x-y)} < y-x

Statement 1
Given \frac{1}{x}<\frac{1}{y}, we have 2 possibilities:
One: if both x and y share the same signs (i.e. both are positive or both are negative) --> y<x
left side of equation will be a positive fraction; right side will be negative integer --> equation = true
Two: if x is negative and y is positive (e.g. x=-2 and y=3), left side of equation will be negative fraction; right side will be positive integer --> equation = false
Insufficient.

Statement 2
Given 2x=3y --> x/y = 3/2 -->i.e. x and y share the same sign (i.e. both positive or both negative). 2 possibilities:
One: if both x and y are positive (i.e. x=3, y=2), results in 1/1 < -1 --> equation = false
Two: if both x and y are negative (i.e. x=-3, y=-2), results in 1/-1 < 1 --> equation = true
Insufficient.

Statement 1 + 2
Applying statement 2 and 1 together, we know that x and y:
i. share the same sign, and
ii. that y<x
--> which means, equation = false i.e. No
Sufficient.

Answer: C

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 109

Is 1/(x-y) < y - x? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 06:45
Is \frac{1}{(x-y)} < y - x ?

(1) \frac{1}{x} < \frac{1}{y}
(2) 2x = 3y

I don't agree with the OA. It must be C.
If 2x = 3y, then x and yare both positive or both negative.
So, if we know that:
\frac{1}{x} < \frac{1}{y}, then x>y --> x -y > 0

With that information we can conclude that the answer is No. C is correct.

Please, your comments.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 27244 [1] , given: 2725

Re: Is 1/(x-y) < y - x? [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2012, 07:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
metallicafan wrote:
Is \frac{1}{(x-y)} < y - x ?

(1) \frac{1}{x} < \frac{1}{y}
(2) 2x = 3y

I don't agree with the OA. It must be C.
If 2x = 3y, then x and yare both positive or both negative.
So, if we know that:
\frac{1}{x} < \frac{1}{y}, then x>y --> x -y > 0

With that information we can conclude that the answer is No. C is correct.

Please, your comments.

Merging similar topics. You are right, answer should be C, not E.

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

5 KUDOS received
Director
Director
WE: Science (Education)
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 520 [5] , given: 43

Re: Is 1 / (x-y) < y - x [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2012, 04:16
This post received
KUDOS
rxs0005 wrote:
Is 1 / (x-y) < y - x

(1) 1 / x < 1 / y
(2) 2x = 3y

If we denote by A=x-y, the question is "Is \frac{1}{A}<-A?"
If A>0, the above inequality cannot hold (a positive number is not smaller than a negative number).
So, the question can be reworded as is A<0, or is x-y<0 which is the same as is x<y?

(1) The given inequality is equivalent to \frac{x-y}{xy}>0.
If xy>0, or in other words if x and y have the same sign, then necessarily x must be greater than y.
If xy<0, or in other words if x and y have opposite signs, then necessarily x must be smaller than y.
Not sufficient.

(2) x=\frac{3}{2}y. If y<0, then x<y. But if y>0, then x>y.
Not sufficient.

(1) and (2) together:
Since from (2) we have that x and y have the same sign, using (1) we deduce that necessarily x-y>0.
So, the answer to the question "Is x<y" is a definite NO.
Sufficient.

Answer C.

PhD in Applied Mathematics
Love GMAT Quant questions and running.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 460 Q35 V20
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 19

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Is 1 / (x-y) < y - x [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2012, 18:54
Hi Buneul,

Can you please explain this part?
if both are negative cross multiply and flip the sigh twice to get y<x again)
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 27244 [1] , given: 2725

Re: Is 1 / (x-y) < y - x [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2012, 01:28
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
shankar245 wrote:
Hi Buneul,

Can you please explain this part?
if both are negative cross multiply and flip the sigh twice to get y<x again)

Given: 1/x<1/y. Now, if both x and y are negative, then when we multiply both parts by negative x we should flip the sign and write 1>x/y. Now, multiply both sides by negative y and flip the sign again to get y<x.

Hope it's clear.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 55

Re: Is 1 / (x-y) < y - x [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 05:16
stem reduces to Is x<y ? [-1/(y-x) = (y-x) => (y-x) >0 ]

A. Depends on sign of x,y. (both positive or both negative for eg. Vs positive-negative give both YES and NO)
B. x= 3k, y= 2k. K>=0, Answer NO. K<0 Answer is YES.

C.

Using 2. x =3k when y =2k.
using the above in 1. 1/x < 1/ y or 1/3k < 1/2k holds only for k>0. For k>0, Using 2, we definitely get the single answer as NO.

KUDOS, if YOU LIKE
GPA: 3.21
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 293 [0], given: 658

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Tough DS Algebra [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2013, 22:43
Bunuel wrote:
rxs0005 wrote:
Is 1 / (x-y) < y - x

1 / x < 1 / y

2x = 3y

First of all if it were realistic GMAT question it would most likely state that xy\neq{0} and x\neq{y} (as x, y and x-y are in denominators).

Is \frac{1}{x-y}<y-x? --> is \frac{1}{x-y}+x-y<0 --> is \frac{1+(x-y)^2}{x-y}<0? as the nominator (1+(x-y)^2) is always positive then the question basically becomes whether denominator (x-y) is negative --> is x-y<0? or is x<y?

(1) \frac{1}{x}<\frac{1}{y} --> if both unknowns are positive or both unknowns are negative then y<x (if both are positive cross multiply to get y<x and if both are negative cross multiply and flip the sigh twice to get y<x again) and the answer will be NO but if x<0<y given inequality also holds true and in this case the answer will be YES (if x is any negative number and y is any positive number then \frac{1}{x}=negative<positive=\frac{1}{y}). Not sufficient.

(2) 2x=3y --> x and y have the same sign, next: \frac{x}{y}=\frac{3}{2}: if both x and y are positive (for example 3 and 2 respectively) then 0<y<x and the answer will be NO but if both x and y are negative (for example -3 and -2 respectively) then x<y<0 and the answer will be NO. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) As from (2) x and y have the same sign then from (1) y<x and the answer to the question is NO. Sufficient.

Hello Bunuel,

Agree with your approach but I wanted to plug in nos and check so here it goes.

we get the expression ( 1+ (x-y)^2 )/(x-y) <0----> Q becomes Is x<y ?

From St 1, we get 1/x<1/y ----> 1/x-1/y <0 and therefore expression becomes

(y-x)/xy < 0 which means is y<x

Now lets take values

y=2 , x=3, the expression is true i.e <0
y=-2 and x=-3, the expression is false ie >0

So not sufficient

from St 2, we get x= 3/2y

Now y=4, x=6, Expression is False ie >0
y=-4, x=-6, expression is true i.e <0
So alone not sufficient

Now Combining we get y<x and x=3/2y ----> y< 3/2y which means Y > 0 and x>y. So we have x>y>0. For this condition, the expression is always false ie. ( 1+ (x-y)^2 )/(x-y) >0

Can't thank you enough in solving inequalities the way you just did.

Thanks
Mridul

“If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward.”

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 27244 [0], given: 2725

Re: Is 1/(x-y) < y - x [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 23:44
Expert's post
CEO
CEO
Followers: 200

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Is 1/(x-y) < y - x [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2014, 21:46
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 58

CAT Tests
Re: Is 1/(x-y) < y - x [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2014, 12:54
Bunuel wrote:
rxs0005 wrote:
Is 1 / (x-y) < y - x

1 / x < 1 / y

2x = 3y

Hi Bunuel.
When taking both statements together, I substituted x=3/2 and y=2/3, or x=-3/2 and y=-2/3
When taking into account statement 1, I noticed that we can't have the negative value for the numbers, as then statement 1 won't hold true.
Is this true? Am I missing something?
Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 27244 [0], given: 2725

Re: Is 1/(x-y) < y - x [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2014, 20:00
Expert's post
ronr34 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
rxs0005 wrote:
Is 1 / (x-y) < y - x

1 / x < 1 / y

2x = 3y

Hi Bunuel.
When taking both statements together, I substituted x=3/2 and y=2/3, or x=-3/2 and y=-2/3
When taking into account statement 1, I noticed that we can't have the negative value for the numbers, as then statement 1 won't hold true.
Is this true? Am I missing something?

Yes, when we combine the statements we get that x > y and 2x = 3y, so x > y > 0.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

Re: Is 1/(x-y) < y - x   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2014, 20:00