Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:12 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [1]
Given Kudos: 29
Schools: AGSM '16
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Is GPA essential for business school admission!!?? [#permalink]
Hussain15 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I want to tell you the situation first.

I am a Cost & Management Accountant in Pakistan. This is the highest professional accountancy degree of Pakistan along with Chartered Accountancy. We have no GPA score type thing in our result package, even the marks are not known to the students. Same is the case with the same institutes of neighbouring countries of subcontinent.

Now my question is will the "without GPA degree" effect my chances at various business schools specially in UK??? Is it a pre-requisite??

do you at least have class ranking of some sort? Something that can show you are better than others?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
@shaselai:

No rankings, no standings!! A qualification degree with no marks!! then a membership of the Institute
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Send PM
Hussain, you might want to write to your target schools and check with them.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Anyone must have the knowhow on this issue??? This can be a big issue for me guys in upcoming days!!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
 Q48  V41
Send PM
You are right, this could be a major issue for you and you have to try to resolve it, probably with some of your fellow countrymen, as soon as possible. You don't come from the heavily underrepresented region, I'm sure there are lot of Pakistanis at business schools, so you might consult with some of them. If that is regular practice in Pakistan, I'm sure that business schools will have known for it, beleive me - they are much better informed me of foreign universities than we think.

Maybe it will be sufficient to explain it in the optional essay, but before you write one - check with somebody who is already in b-shool, especially with somebody who attends one of your target schoools.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
The problem is that no Charterd Accountant (as per my known persons circle) has decided to join a business school. This is something very disturbing for me.

I will check this out and will let you all know the final outcome.

But one thing is for sure done,,, if GPA is prerequisite then I will get an MBA in my home country first (with GPA marks) and then apply again, you dammn (GMAT) I will let you go so easilly!!

Pray for me to have a positive response from business schools!! :(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hussain15 wrote:
The problem is that no Charterd Accountant (as per my known persons circle) has decided to join a business school. This is something very disturbing for me.

I will check this out and will let you all know the final outcome.

But one thing is for sure done,,, if GPA is prerequisite then I will get an MBA in my home country first (with GPA marks) and then apply again, you dammn (GMAT) I will let you go so easilly!!

Pray for me to have a positive response from business schools!! :(

Hussain15 wrote:
@shaselai:

No rankings, no standings!! A qualification degree with no marks!! then a membership of the Institute

hmmm... how good is the school you got the degree from? If your school has a rank - like "top X in pakistan" or something to compare to maybe it will help? I guess if it is the highest degree you can get it might be equivalent to a PHD? If it is like a PHD then it is another thing colleges can compare to since at least in america you pretty much cant graduate Masters with <3.0 and i read some schools you need >3.2 for PHD....

I would really try to call those schools up and ask because you will be spending money and time on an MBA you might not need in Pakistan
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
 Q48  V41
Send PM
First try to get in contact with some student in b-school abroad. Maybe you should try to find some Pakistanis in this forum. After that writte to schools and see what is going on.

If you decide to pursue Master degree with GPA scale, avoid MBA because schools definitely don't look favourable to candidates who already have MBA even from their home country. Instead, find some solid MSc program in Pakistan.

Before all this actions, you should look at Stanford GSBs website. They have some useful information overthere because they have listed by countries which degree is acceptable. Although Stanford is not in your focus, you might find some explanations on their website that might be useful for your communication with schools and students.

Don't give up, we are going to pray for you :)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
@shaselai

Thanks a lot buddy!! The institute is number 1 in my country for the said degreee, but who know!!??...

But still thanks for the hope!! I will inform you as welll what Judge & LBS think of this!!!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Pathfinder wrote:
First try to get in contact with some student in b-school abroad. Maybe you should try to find some Pakistanis in this forum. After that writte to schools and see what is going on.

If you decide to pursue Master degree with GPA scale, avoid MBA because schools definitely don't look favourable to candidates who already have MBA even from their home country. Instead, find some solid MSc program in Pakistan.

Before all this actions, you should look at Stanford GSBs website. They have some useful information overthere because they have listed by countries which degree is acceptable. Although Stanford is not in your focus, you might find some explanations on their website that might be useful for your communication with schools and students.

Don't give up, we are going to pray for you :)

Thanks a lot!!! Stanford check is a good option. Thanks for MSc advice as well!! :)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
@Ace: Yes boss, I have an undergraduate degree in Mathematics & Physics. This is called Bachelor of Science!!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Send PM
@Hussain

In that case you're good since I'm sure you must have received grades for that.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
AceofSpades wrote:
@Hussain

In that case you're good since I'm sure you must have received grades for that.

Yes boss, that degree have the grades. I have written the query to LBS, and will also consult Judge.

I have searched the Stanford website for the list of institutes against every country but couldn't find anything. If you have the link then kindly do share it with me. Thanks!!! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hussain, I'm not aware of any such list but I know that an undergraduate degree is the only degree requirement for admission.

Most American B schools require the equivalent of a 4 year undergraduate degree from international applicants. So, for instance, if a person has foreign degrees from a three year undergrad college and a one year masters program, that would count as an equivalent to a 4 year undergraduate degree. I think it's best to check with your target schools directly.

European business schools are a little bit more flexible in their admission requirements. For example, LBS and INSEAD even waive the degree requirement in certain circumstances. If you plan to apply to LBS and Judge, then I don't think you'll have any problem at all. This is the link to the LBS website which states admission requirements: https://www.london.edu/programmes/mba/applying.html
Retired Moderator
Send PM
AceofSpades wrote:
Hussain, I'm not aware of any such list but I know that an undergraduate degree is the only degree requirement for admission.

Most American B schools require the equivalent of a 4 year undergraduate degree from international applicants. So, for instance, if a person has foreign degrees from a three year undergrad college and a one year masters program, that would count as an equivalent to a 4 year undergraduate degree. I think it's best to check with your target schools directly.

European business schools are a little bit more flexible in their admission requirements. For example, LBS and INSEAD even waive the degree requirement in certain circumstances. If you plan to apply to LBS and Judge, then I don't think you'll have any problem at all. This is the link to the LBS website which states admission requirements: https://www.london.edu/programmes/mba/applying.html

Thanks for the infor ace!!

I wrongly asked you the stanford thing, actually I intended to ask this question to Pathfinder, as he mentioned that reference. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1415 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
I hope you guys wouldn't mind if I move you to MBA forum?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
timetrader wrote:
I hope you guys wouldn't mind if I move you to MBA forum?

Sure!!!!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2