Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Jul 2014, 16:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is Ryerson MBA worth?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.7
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Is Ryerson MBA worth? [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 08:15
Hello,

Can anyone please tell if MBA from Ryerson is worth? I scored very low in GMAT(570) but I have 5+ years of IT experience and a good GPA (3.5). Wll I get admission at Ryerson?

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is Ryerson MBA worth? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 08:21
karanme03148 wrote:
Hello,

Can anyone please tell if MBA from Ryerson is worth? I scored very low in GMAT(570) but I have 5+ years of IT experience and a good GPA (3.5). Wll I get admission at Ryerson?

Thanks

Karanme03148, I am a current MBA student in the full-time program at Ryerson. First of all, in terms of your qualifications, it seems like you have the minimum requirements to apply (they ask for min. 550 GMAT *2011 avg was 615*, B+ average and 2 years of experience). Although your GMAT scores aren't very high, they do look at your overall application and assess you on a personal basis. Since you have an IT background, you should apply to the MBA in the Management of Technology and Innovation (MTI-MBA) program. It's a very unique program (the only one of its kind in Canada) that offers an MBA with a technology specialization.

As to the overall worth of a Ryerson MBA degree, I have to tell you that it's growing. I am currently in the process of applying for internships and every company I talk to is very interested in Ryerson students. Our career department works with you on a one-on-one basis and helps you personalize your resume, cover letter, LinkedIn account, etc. to suit your needs. At the end of the day, what matters is that we get a job and in 2011 over 90% of students had a job within 6 months of graduation with the average salary in mid $80,000 - no other school has the same return on investment. Overall, I'm very happy with my choice of coming to Ryerson and I know that every single person that's in the program at the moment would say the exact same thing.

Best of luck with your applications!
Intern
Intern

Re: Is Ryerson MBA worth? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 08:42
Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply and guidance. I am now positive towards Ryerson's MBA. I had heard so many rumors about its reputation and other stuff so I really wanted to talk to someone who has actually taken this course. I have already applied to Ryerson's global MBA program (fulltime) a week ago and waiting to hear back from them. I didn't apply to MBA in technology and innovation as I had never heard of such program so was a bit scared to apply for that. Moreover, I didn't know what is its market value. So, as you said my profile seems fine, I am hoping to get an admission offer from Ryerson. Do they call for interview as well? On their website it says "an interview may be required". I also want to know if I can get any financial assistance from the University if I am selected. It will be so nice of you if you could let me know.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Is Ryerson MBA worth? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 08:55
karanme03148 wrote:
Hello,

Thank you very much for your reply and guidance. I am now positive towards Ryerson's MBA. I had heard so many rumors about its reputation and other stuff so I really wanted to talk to someone who has actually taken this course. I have already applied to Ryerson's global MBA program (fulltime) a week ago and waiting to hear back from them. I didn't apply to MBA in technology and innovation as I had never heard of such program so was a bit scared to apply for that. Moreover, I didn't know what is its market value. So, as you said my profile seems fine, I am hoping to get an admission offer from Ryerson. Do they call for interview as well? On their website it says "an interview may be required". I also want to know if I can get any financial assistance from the University if I am selected. It will be so nice of you if you could let me know.

For the MTI program, the info is at ryerson.ca/mba/programs/mti - if you're interested, maybe try to contact them and see if they will consider you for both? The staff is very approachable.

As to the interview, I never had to go to one but I do hear it's a possibility. The application process goes through a couple of stages. First you apply to the School of Graduate Studies and when they accept you, you move on to the MBA department. So it's at that stage that I assume an interview might occur. In regards to financial assistance, as a full-time student, there's quite a few $20,000 scholarships that cover your entire tuition and then I think you may able to able to receive OSAP or bursaries from the school, but for that I'm not sure, you would need to contact the Student Financial Services office.

The program is still in its infancy which is why you might have heard rumours. But I'll tell you first hand, that none of that those are true. Every staff and faculty member in the program wants to see us succeed. In fact, this past weekend we competed against 22 other MBA schools across Canada and US and we came in 2nd place overall, ahead of a lot of older and more popular MBA programs. I'll let you draw your own conclusions :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Is Ryerson MBA worth? [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2013, 09:04
Thanks again. That was a useful piece of information. I will keep you posted about my application status.
Re: Is Ryerson MBA worth?   [#permalink] 09 Jan 2013, 09:04