Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Is x > 0? (1) |x + 3| = 4x 3 (2) |x + 1| = 2x 1 Can

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 191 [1] , given: 22

Is x > 0? (1) |x + 3| = 4x 3 (2) |x + 1| = 2x 1 Can [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 13:20
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

61% (02:15) correct 39% (01:07) wrong based on 107 sessions
Is x > 0?

(1) |x + 3| = 4x – 3

(2) |x + 1| = 2x – 1

Can someone explain this to me
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

If the Q jogged your mind do Kudos me : )

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3599

Kudos [?]: 28590 [2] , given: 2803

Re: Absolute value DS [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 13:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Is x > 0?

(1) |x+3|=4x-3 --> LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative (|some \ expression|\geq{0}), so RHS must also be non-negative --> 4x-3\geq{0} --> x\geq{\frac{3}{4}}, hence x>0. Sufficient.

(2) |x+1|=2x-1 --> the same here --> 2x-1\geq{0} --> x\geq{\frac{1}{2}}, hence x>0. Sufficient.

So you see that you don't even need to find exact value(s) of x to answer the question.

Answer: D.

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 22

Re: Absolute value DS [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 13:43
thanks that helped your explanation is more simpler and fundamental!

the below explanation i did not get especially the last part where we need to substitute and check

(1) SUFFICIENT: Here, we are told that |x + 3| = 4x – 3. When dealing with equations containing variables and absolute values, we generally need to consider the possibility that there may be two values for the unknown that could make the equation work.
We can find the two possible solutions by setting the expression inside the absolute value equal to ± the expression on the right side of the equation. In this case, our two solutions are:

x + 3 = +(4x – 3) and x + 3 = –(4x – 3)
x + 3 = 4x – 3 x + 3 = –4x + 3
6 = 3x 5x = 0
2 = x x = 0

However, you need to be careful. When there is a variable outside the absolute value, both solutions are not always valid. We need to plug both x = 2 and x = 0 back into the original equation and test them.

|(2) + 3| = 4(2) – 3 and |(0) + 3| = 4(0) – 3
|5| = 8 – 3 |3| = –3
5 = 5 3 = –3

Therefore, x = 0 is not a valid solution and we know that 2 is the only possible solution. x is definitely positive.

If the Q jogged your mind do Kudos me : )

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28590 [0], given: 2803

Re: Absolute value DS [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2010, 15:15
Expert's post
rxs0005 wrote:

the below explanation i did not get especially the last part where we need to substitute and check

(1) SUFFICIENT: Here, we are told that |x + 3| = 4x – 3. When dealing with equations containing variables and absolute values, we generally need to consider the possibility that there may be two values for the unknown that could make the equation work.
We can find the two possible solutions by setting the expression inside the absolute value equal to ± the expression on the right side of the equation. In this case, our two solutions are:

6 = 3x 5x = 0
2 = x x = 0

However, you need to be careful. When there is a variable outside the absolute value, both solutions are not always valid. We need to plug both x = 2 and x = 0 back into the original equation and test them.

|5| = 8 – 3 |3| = –3
5 = 5 3 = –3

Therefore, x = 0 is not a valid solution and we know that 2 is the only possible solution. x is definitely positive.

This issue is discussed here: some-inequalities-questions-93760.html?hilit=substitute%20method

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 9

Re: Absolute value DS [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2010, 22:33
Whenever i see this type of question i start to solve for X. Now in this case, from st-1 i got X = 2 or 0 From st-2 also the same answer and i ticked E. Can someone explain how i should start to think for this type of questions?? however i forgot to put back tha values and check.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

Re: Absolute value DS [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 23:42
rxs0005 wrote:

6 = 3x 5x = 0
2 = x x = 0

|5| = 8 – 3 |3| = –3
5 = 5 3 = –3

This appears every so often on absolute value questions. It relies on you not testing the possible solution. You must always verify the solutions you get in your first step. I've made this mistake several times :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 15

Re: Absolute value DS [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 18:18
Bunuel wrote:
(1) |x+3|=4x-3 --> LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative (|some \ expression|\geq{0}), so RHS must also be non-negative

great way to look at it. thanks for the tip
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Absolute value DS [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 18:44
amitjash wrote:
Whenever i see this type of question i start to solve for X. Now in this case, from st-1 i got X = 2 or 0 From st-2 also the same answer and i ticked E. Can someone explain how i should start to think for this type of questions?? however i forgot to put back tha values and check.

I did same and got tricked. Can someone explain why we are getting x=0 and it doesn't fit the equation. Are we doing anything wrong on absolute problems?

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Retired Moderator
Followers: 76

Kudos [?]: 497 [0], given: 25

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Absolute value DS [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 19:10
saxenashobhit wrote:
amitjash wrote:

I did same and got tricked. Can someone explain why we are getting x=0 and it doesn't fit the equation. Are we doing anything wrong on absolute problems?

When you are dealing with absolute values, and you solve it in 2 cases assuming first that expression >= 0 and then that expression < 0, you must verify the solution you get to make sure you don't violate the extra assumption you made in the beginning

Eg.When you assume x+3>0, it means you assume x>-3. You get an answer 2, which is valid as no assumptions are violated
When you assume x+3<0, it means you assume x<-3. You get an answer 0, which is invalid given your assumption

You do not need to necessarily "plug the solution back in", it is sufficient to check against the assumption you made while deciding the sign of the absolute value

Math write-ups
1) Algebra-101 2) Sequences 3) Set combinatorics 4) 3-D geometry

My GMAT story

Expert Post
Math Expert

Kudos [?]: 28590 [0], given: 2803

Re: Absolute value DS [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 20:54
Expert's post
saxenashobhit wrote:
amitjash wrote:

Solving for x is not the best way to deal with this problem.

But if you do this way you should know that checking validity of the solutions is very important for absolute value questions.

When you solve these kind of questions with check point method (discussed at: some-inequalities-questions-93760.html?hilit=substitute%20method), you test validity of solution on the stage of obtaining these values (by checking whether the value is in the range you are testing at the moment) and if the value obtained IS in the range you are testing at the moment, you don't need to substitute it afterwards to check, you've already done the checking and if the value obtained IS NOT in the range you are testing at the moment you also don't need to substitute it afterwards to check, you've already done the checking.

When you just expand the absolute value once with negative sign and once with positive sign then you should check whether obtained solution(s) satisfy equation be substituting solution(s) back to the equation.

Check 3-steps approach in Wlaker's post on Absolute Value for more on this: math-absolute-value-modulus-86462.html

Hope it helps.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:

CEO
CEO
Followers: 206

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Is x > 0? (1) |x + 3| = 4x 3 (2) |x + 1| = 2x 1 Can [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 16:17
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '16
GMAT 1: 600 Q V0
GMAT 2: 500 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 640 Q49 V29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Absolute value DS [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2013, 06:28
Bunuel wrote:
Is x > 0?

(1) |x+3|=4x-3 --> LHS is an absolute value, which is always non-negative (|some \ expression|\geq{0}), so RHS must also be non-negative --> 4x-3\geq{0} --> x\geq{\frac{3}{4}}, hence x>0. Sufficient.

(2) |x+1|=2x-1 --> the same here --> 2x-1\geq{0} --> x\geq{\frac{1}{2}}, hence x>0. Sufficient.

So you see that you don't even need to find exact value(s) of x to answer the question.

Answer: D.

Hope it helps.

For those more inclined to solving equations, here is a different approach:
(1) |x+3|=4x-3

If x+3>0 then:
a) x > -3 AND
b) x+3 = 4x-3 => 3x=6 => x=2.
Since x=2 does NOT contradict x>-3, x=2 is a solution and x is positive

However if x+3<0 then:
a) x<-3 AND
b) x+3=-4x+3 => x=0. BUT x must be less than -3, so x=0 is NOT a solution.

Therefore only the case where x+3>0 can be possible being x=2 the only possible solution, therefore always positive.

(2) |x+1|=2x-1 Works exactly the same:

If x+1>0 then:
a) x > -1 AND
b) x+1 = 2x-1 => x = 2
Since x=2 does NOT contradict x>-1, x=2 is a solution and x is positive

However if x+1<0 then:
a) x<-1 AND
b) x+1 = -2x+1 => x = 0. BUT x must be less than -1, so x=0 is NOT a solution.

Therefore only the case where x+1>0 can be possible being x=2 the only possible solution, therefore always positive.

In BOTH cases the only possible value for x is always positive. Therefore D is the answer.
Re: Absolute value DS   [#permalink] 09 Oct 2013, 06:28