Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:32 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.63
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Kellogg (Northwestern) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
aerien wrote:
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Hi, an application question.
One of my recommenders asked me about what's more important -LOR's word count or the thoroughness of her response. I took a look at the LOR questions (from the application "downloadable forms" section) and it seems that each question is given 250 words, which isn't really a lot.

Should I ask him to stick to the limit or to go deeper (and exceed the word count)?

Stick to the word limit. Always follow adcom directions.

Sounds fair. I always wonder how the AdCom reacts to when recommenders fail to follow the instructions (word count, examples and stuff). They can't blame the applicant nor the recommender (which is usually a busy person, given 5-8 questions and required to supply many details)...
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
aerien wrote:
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Hi, an application question.
One of my recommenders asked me about what's more important -LOR's word count or the thoroughness of her response. I took a look at the LOR questions (from the application "downloadable forms" section) and it seems that each question is given 250 words, which isn't really a lot.

Should I ask him to stick to the limit or to go deeper (and exceed the word count)?

Stick to the word limit. Always follow adcom directions.

Sounds fair. I always wonder how the AdCom reacts to when recommenders fail to follow the instructions (word count, examples and stuff). They can't blame the applicant nor the recommender (which is usually a busy person, given 5-8 questions and required to supply many details)...

Just my opinion: they could blame the applicant for not communicating well with their recommender. If you (general you) can't even convey to your recommender, someone you ideally have a good relationship with and have known for awhile, the importance of following a laid-out set of directions from a school, how will you manage other people and teams both in business school and afterwards?
Current Student
Send PM
aerien wrote:
Just my opinion: they could blame the applicant for not communicating well with their recommender. If you (general you) can't even convey to your recommender, someone you ideally have a good relationship with and have known for awhile, the importance of following a laid-out set of directions from a school, how will you manage other people and teams both in business school and afterwards?

I see your point and agree.
Yet, the recommenderes are out of the applicant's control. Sticking to the deadline is one thing, not going over the word limit is another thing. BTW, I really appreciates Berkeley-Haas' attitude towards LOR, as posted on their Facebook page - they accept LOR's even after the deadline, knowing that the rec' are usually busy people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Sounds fair. I always wonder how the AdCom reacts to when recommenders fail to follow the instructions (word count, examples and stuff). They can't blame the applicant nor the recommender (which is usually a busy person, given 5-8 questions and required to supply many details)...[/quote]

Just my opinion: they could blame the applicant for not communicating well with their recommender. If you (general you) can't even convey to your recommender, someone you ideally have a good relationship with and have known for awhile, the importance of following a laid-out set of directions from a school, how will you manage other people and teams both in business school and afterwards?[/quote]

IMO: You can be +/- 10% of the word count for your essays or LOR but you shouldn't go over on every essay. They don't count the number of words but can visually gauge how long an essay is. It's better to complete a thought coherently (either you or the recommender) and be a little over, then cut out words to get you to the word count and lose the meaning all together.

Again, this is just my thoughts on the matter, but I can't imagine the AdCom's would be so shrewd to hold that against someone, especially if they don't actually count the number of words.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
rsmsundaram wrote:
applicant from India- got an interview invite after waiver. Received the email on Friday; have not scheduled the interview yet because the office is closed for the weekend. The email said that I need to schedule the interview by Dec 4th.

Hey rmsundaram. Congrats! Can you please share your profile with everyone.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
kidchaos wrote:
rsmsundaram wrote:
applicant from India- got an interview invite after waiver. Received the email on Friday; have not scheduled the interview yet because the office is closed for the weekend. The email said that I need to schedule the interview by Dec 4th.

Hey rmsundaram. Congrats! Can you please share your profile with everyone.

Bsc Economics from SRCC Delhi. IT Consulting (second tier consulting company) for 3 years. GMAT-700
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
anyone here has had phone interview? is it behavioural?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Where does it say on the Kellogg recommendation to stick with 250 words?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.92
Send PM
Disclaimer: I'm merely speculating. However, when you log in and check the status of your application, the following phrasing appears (emphasis added). Makes me believe that some decisions may start trickling out this week. I'm starting to freak out! Good luck, everyone!

"Application decisions may be released on or before the decision deadline, but the majority of decisions will be released during the last few weeks of the round. "
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.1
Send PM
Thats what I thought as well. The daily nightmares and obsessive kellogg-readings begin!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
caliboy83 wrote:
Where does it say on the Kellogg recommendation to stick with 250 words?

At the beginning of the rec form, it says this.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Given the 4th Dec information above, I guess its curtains down for me at Kellogg. a REAL bummer for me - I am a reapplicant who asked to be re itnerviewed and got a waiver and nothing after that. Kellogg was one of my strongest, if not the strongest apps, and I really love the school. I am quite perplexed as to what went wrong that I didn't even get interviewed despite being interviewed last year. Improved gmat by 40 points, double promotions, good reco .... quite disappointed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm looking at the Rec Form from downloadbale forms on the application. I don't see any mention of word limits/guidance. Am I missing something here?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
caliboy83 wrote:
I'm looking at the Rec Form from downloadbale forms on the application. I don't see any mention of word limits/guidance. Am I missing something here?

I don't remember exactly and I don't have the link any longer to the recommendation forms. But I know I saw this instruction because in my notes, I see that i wrote to myself "250 word limit" while reviewing the instructions on the online form from the recommendation link
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Change of plan. In for R2.
Kellogg School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Guys temme one thing. In the 'degree' section it lists 'BTEC'. Is that what we know as 'BTech' in India?
Intern
Intern
Status:GMAT date booked, Drafting essays, University Shortlisting
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools: Fuqua '14
GMAT Date: 09-09-2011
WE:Other (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Folks,

As I plan to apply for R2, would like to know if there's a list of things I need to be ready with before I hit the submit button for PART -1, and another list of things for PART -2.
Please let me know ASAP, otherwise I might ruin my chances :(
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26  ...  76   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts