Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:17 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [17]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1588 [8]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [1]
Send PM
Re: Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the continent fr [#permalink]
Kudos
kalpvriksha14 wrote:
Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the continent from the Atlantic to the Pacific north of Mexico, and they did not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.

A. and did not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
B. and they did not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
C. and they had not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
D. nor had they visited places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
E. nor did they visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.

please explain ur answers

Id say E.

ABC don't really complete the sentence the way it should be. the use of nor here is clearer than and.

When reading A,B, or C I had trouble trying to figure out what the sentence was really trying to say.

D: use of had is not needed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 365 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the continent fr [#permalink]
Sorry for bringing this thread up, but i am unable to understand the errors here.

Experts can you kindly elucidate. My concerns are:

1. What is wrong with Option B ?
2. Is it a GMAT kind of question ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
I am a little confused here.

I thought nor should always be used with 'neither', but here we are using it with 'not'.

Is this correct? What other exceptions do we have for nor? Like, can it be used without 'Neither' or 'Not' as well?

GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
kalpvriksha14 wrote:
Lewis and Clark were not the first white men to cross the continent from the Atlantic to the Pacific north of Mexico, and they did not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.

A. and did not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
B. and they did not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
C. and they had not visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
D. nor had they visited places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.
E. nor did they visit places not already seen and mapped by generations of native people.

Id say E.

ABC don't really complete the sentence the way it should be. the use of nor here is clearer than and.

When reading A,B, or C I had trouble trying to figure out what the sentence was really trying to say.

CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [4]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ameyaprabhu wrote:

I thought nor should always be used with 'neither', but here we are using it with 'not'.

Is this correct? What other exceptions do we have for nor? Like, can it be used without 'Neither' or 'Not' as well?

GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
kalpvriksha14 wrote:

Id say E.

Usually "nor" is used with "neither". However it is alright to use "nor" with various negatives such as "not", "never" etc. as in option E above.

I have never seen a car crash, nor do I intend to do so..... correct.
I have not completed my homework, nor have I prepared for the test..... correct.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
if this question is from gmatprep, I want to know why A is wrong.

when the two ideas are the same, we use "nor" to emphasize the second idea. this is why E is correct. A is wrong because the two ideas similar if they are connected by "and" will become not related to each other.

yes, I am confuse, why a is wrong

the point of "comma+and" is a good point. but I think gmat will not test us this point only.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
victory47 wrote:
if this question is from gmatprep, I want to know why A is wrong.

when the two ideas are the same, we use "nor" to emphasize the second idea. this is why E is correct. A is wrong because the two ideas similar if they are connected by "and" will become not related to each other.

yes, I am confuse, why a is wrong

the point of "comma+and" is a good point. but I think gmat will not test us this point only.

While joining two negative sentences, neither of which is done, OR is correct. Compare with the following logical

Given, X AND Y both are false:

The correct interpretation is: NOT (X AND Y) = (NOT Y) OR (NOT Y) = NOT X NOR Y........ (Or NOT is also same as NOR: NOT X NOR Y)
The wrong interpretation is: (NOT X) AND (NOT Y)...this implies that X AND Y both does not happen (but it is possible that either X or Y happens,while the other does not)

For example:
I ate an apple and I ate a banana.....correct
I did not eat an apple or I did not eat a banana.... correct
The second sentence can also be written as:
I did not eat an apple nor did I did eat a banana.... correct

But,
I did not eat an apple and I did not eat a banana... conveys a wrong meaning ( implies, I did not eat both, but it is possible that I ate any one of them.)

Similarly option A wrongly implies that L and C did not do both the things : being first and visiting places, but it is possible that they did any one of them. This is not the conveyed meaning. The intended meaning is that they did neither. Hence NOT X OR NOT Y (NOT X NOR Y) structure is required, and NOT X AND NOT Y structure is wrong. Hence A is wrong.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
ameyaprabhu wrote:

GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
kalpvriksha14 wrote:

Id say E.

Hi,
In GMAT meaning and proper diction comes first . There is no strigent rules that nor should come with neither only. Though neither ...nor (paraller markers) is a general phrase and used to link nouns. Here option E is the most clear and apt answer. In other choices double negative changes the meaning and not correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 277
Schools: HBS '22
Send PM
Can you tell me why exactly is D wrong
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 432 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos