Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 01:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Many small roads do not have painted markings along their

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Many small roads do not have painted markings along their [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 09:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

77% (01:50) correct 23% (01:09) wrong based on 145 sessions
Many small roads do not have painted markings along their edges. Clear edge markings would make it easier for drivers to see upcoming curves and to judge the car's position on the road, particularly when visibility is poor, and would therefore seem to be a useful contribution to road safety. However, after Greatwater County painted edge markings on all its narrow, winding roads the annual accident rate along these roads actually increased slightly. Which of the following if true, most helps to explain the increase in accident rate?
A. Greatwater County has an unusually high proportion of narrow, winding roads.
B. In bad weather it can be nearly as difficult for drivers to see the road as it is at night.
C. Prior to the painting of edge markings, Greatwater County's narrow, winding roads already had a somewhat higher accident rate than other Greatwater County roads.
D. Many of the accidents on narrow, winding roads involve a single vehicle veering off the road, rather than the collision of two vehicles.
E. After the markings were painted on the roads, many drivers who had gone out of their way to avoid driving on those roads at night no longer did so.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 20

Re: Many small roads do not have painted [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 11:14
This post received
KUDOS
Baten80 wrote:
Many small roads do not have painted markings along their edges. Clear edge markings would make it easier for drivers to see upcoming curves and to judge the car's position on the road, particularly when visibility is poor, and would therefore seem to be a useful contribution to road safety. However, after Greatwater County painted edge markings on all its narrow, winding roads the annual accident rate along these roads actually increased slightly. Which of the following if true, most helps to explain the increase in accident rate?
A. Greatwater County has an unusually high proportion of narrow, winding roads. - does not help, the proportion may be higher or lower but accident rate should have decreased compared to previous accident rate.
B. In bad weather it can be nearly as difficult for drivers to see the road as it is at night. - passage reads edge markings makes drivers easier to see in poor visibility.
C. Prior to the painting of edge markings, Greatwater County's narrow, winding roads already had a somewhat higher accident rate than other Greatwater County roads. - winding roads may have accident rate of 80% compared to other GC roads... but with edge markings that particular rate should decrease.
D. Many of the accidents on narrow, winding roads involve a single vehicle veering off the road, rather than the collision of two vehicles. - passage doesn't compare the type of accident
E. After the markings were painted on the roads, many drivers who had gone out of their way to avoid driving on those roads at night no longer did so. correct - drivers who were avoiding driving in bad visibility now drives more at that time
3 KUDOS received
Math Forum Moderator
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 899 [3] , given: 376

GMAT Tests User
Re: Many small roads do not have painted [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
Baten80 wrote:

It is the resolve paradox type question.

Clear edge marking would contribute to road safety for the reasons mentioned.
But, after Clear edge marking were painted on a road, the accidents increased there. Why so OR how so?

This factor remained unchanged after or before the painting.

B. In bad weather it can be nearly as difficult for drivers to see the road as it is at night.
It is mentioned that these markings assist drivers to avoid accidents in poor visibility. It couldn't possibly have caused a negative result. Furthermore, this is also a constant factor in both scenarios.

C. Prior to the painting of edge markings, Greatwater County's narrow, winding roads already had a somewhat higher accident rate than other Greatwater County roads.
It draws a comparison between narrow roads AND other roads. We are concerned about narrow roads only before AND after the painting.

D. Many of the accidents on narrow, winding roads involve a single vehicle veering off the road, rather than the collision of two vehicles.
This may be true. But, passage doesn't give us any correlation between types of accident AND painting. Out of scope.

E. After the markings were painted on the roads, many drivers who had gone out of their way to avoid driving on those roads at night no longer did so.

This gives us a possible scenario where marking has an adverse effect. Earlier only 1000 people were regularly using the road at night, now 2000(some random number more than 1000) people are using the road. Greater number of cars on the road may result in more accidents.

~fluke

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Many small roads do not have painted [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 11:42
Baten80 wrote:

E for me
yipeeeeeeeee
only this explains the increase is due to an increase the total increase in the no of drivers on the road........ :) :)

WarLocK

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Many small roads do not have painted [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 23:26
E for me as well. The conclusion talks about the rate. One way the rate might have increased is because of more people took the route.

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.95
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 20

Re: Many small roads do not have painted markings along their [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 08:17
Initially I thought the answer is C. After seeing the result, I realized that C, in fact, complicates the argument.

-------------------------
-Aravind Chembeti

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: Many small roads do not have painted markings along their [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 06:05
But tell me one thing :

As per (E) there are more drivers on the road now .... fine ... But at the same time the markings on the road should also reduce the accidents also right ?

Say before there were 1000 cars on the road and the accident rate was 20%, i.e. No of accidents = 200

Now after yellow markings the accident rate = 5% and number of cars on road is 2000

Hence now no. of accidents = 5% of 2000 = 100
So we see that the no. of accidents have decreased...

Then how can (e) help explain the increase of accident rate ?

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1167 [1] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: Many small roads do not have painted markings along their [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2013, 18:18
This post received
KUDOS
Practicegmat wrote:
But tell me one thing :

As per (E) there are more drivers on the road now .... fine ... But at the same time the markings on the road should also reduce the accidents also right ?

Say before there were 1000 cars on the road and the accident rate was 20%, i.e. No of accidents = 200

Now after yellow markings the accident rate = 5% and number of cars on road is 2000

Hi practicegmat.

The argument says: "the annual accident rate along these roads actually increased slightly"

It means:
Before having painted markings: the accident rate is 5% (assume)
After having painted marking: the accident rate increased slightly, assume 5.5%

There is NOT a situation like your example (accident rate decreased).

==> KEY fact is: the accident rate increased, for example, from 5% to 5.5%. ==> It means the number of accidents also increased. Your task is to find an explanation for that. Do not question the facts because they are true.
==> Only E can help.

KEY of "resolve the paradox" is that you must assume Facts are always true, your task is just explain why there is a paradox.

Hope it's clear.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 110 [1] , given: 136

Re: Many small roads do not have painted markings along their [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2013, 22:52
This post received
KUDOS
Practicegmat wrote:
But tell me one thing :

Hello PracticeGmat,

Here is my reasoning for the above question:

First of all, what is the paradox?

The paradox is that despite warning signs the accident rate increased slightly, the expectation was that the accidents should decrease or somewhat remain equal. Now, our task is to find an answer choice that explains that how can above situation happen?

Now, E says that the number of vehicles increased by greater than 50%(this is equivalent to Many). If this is true than the number of vehicles earlier lets sat 1000 is now increased to 1500, and the accident rate lest say 20 % is increased to 22% (as question says it increased slightly) - clearly you can see that the sign boards does help in reducing the accidents, since number of vehicles is increased by 50 %, and you would expect that the accident rate to go up significantly high, however currently it is not the case.
Makes sense.

Thanks

+1 Kudos me, Help me unlocking GMAT Club Tests

Re: Many small roads do not have painted markings along their   [#permalink] 05 Oct 2013, 22:52