Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:28 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [13]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [2]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Send PM
Re: Confused by the many strata and substrata of ancient civilizations ove [#permalink]
Who is confused??
I think both of Schliemann and I confuse in this questiong ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks you for your participation, Could someone explain me more???
I know this question might be easily to you, but it hard to me to comphehend it. Let me split like this.

I works a lot of gmat question, and notices that If you find structure like these, you can easily eliminate choice which is not THE PERSON.

1. Ving...., Someone+V ------>it means that someone doing such action
for instance
Installing special electric pumps, farmerscould use the warmth from cows’ milk to heat their houses
It is clearly that farmer installs thier electric pumps. Subject must be person to do such action.

2. V.ed......, Someone/something + V------> Since subject could be someone or something, in case of something,subject might be done by someone possibly.
If you are the third person who reads the data of Schliemann’s excavations, you might concede that Schliemann’s excavations could be confued with the many strata and substrata of ancient civilizations, therefore Schliemann’s excavations should be halted to clarify the accuracy of data possibly
If I think like this, subject can be something which is not THE PERSON, thus choice A and B could be right, isn't it ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 601 [0]
Send PM
Re: Confused by the many strata and substrata of ancient civilizations ove [#permalink]
ong wrote:
Who is confused??
I think both of Schliemann and I confuse in this questiong ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks you for your participation, Could someone explain me more???
I know this question might be easily to you, but it hard to me to comphehend it. Let me split like this.

I works a lot of gmat question, and notices that If you find structure like these, you can easily eliminate choice which is not THE PERSON.

1. Ving...., Someone+V ------>it means that someone doing such action
for instance
Installing special electric pumps, farmerscould use the warmth from cows’ milk to heat their houses
It is clearly that farmer installs thier electric pumps. Subject must be person to do such action.

2. V.ed......, Someone/something + V------> Since subject could be someone or something, in case of something,subject might be done by someone possibly.
If you are the third person who reads the data of Schliemann’s excavations, you might concede that Schliemann’s excavations could be confued with the many strata and substrata of ancient civilizations, therefore Schliemann’s excavations should be halted to clarify the accuracy of data possibly
If I think like this, subject can be something which is not THE PERSON, thus choice A and B could be right, isn't it ?

Ong,
Inanimate beings can't be confused, so in this case we cannot think that the second sentence will start with "excavations".

I suggest you to get the meaning of the sentences. Don't memorize such forms like "V.ed......, Someone/something + V". They may confuse you..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Send PM
OA is C
selene--thanks a lot for your explanation. It's really help me get it.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
A,B,D,E --> out. Schliemann's excavations cannot be confused.

C is the best choice
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Send PM
ywilfred wrote:
A,B,D,E --> out. Schliemann's excavations cannot be confused.

C is the best choice

Wilfred, once again, I think its the passive voice that's the problem. Because the sentences don't mention that excavations were confused. The general format of the sentenses was:

Confused by something, Excavations were halted (by Schliemann).

The correct sentence is:

Confused by something Schliemann halted the excavations.

Can you help explain?

Thanks.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [0]
Send PM
The start of the sentence uses 'confused by...' so we need to follow that up with a noun. A,B,D and E all uses 'excavtions' as the noun that is being modified by the action 'confused'. This is not logical.

C makes the most sense out of the 5 choices.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 583
Send PM
Kudos
Confused by the many strata and substrata of ancient civilizations overlying one another, (underline start) Schliemann’s exca vations of the fabled city Ilium, the ancient Troy, were temporarily called to a halt (underline end).

(A) Schliemann’s excavations of the fabled city Ilium, ancient Troy, were temporarily called to a halt
(B) Schliemann’s excavations of the fabled city Ilium , the ancient Troy,temporarilyhaltedtemporarily halted temporarily haltedtemporarily halted temporarily halted
(C) Schliemann temporarily halted his excavations of the fabled city Ilium, the ancient Troy
(D) excavations of the fabled city Ilium, ancient Troy, were temporarily (D) excavations of the fabled city Ilium, ancient Troy, were temporarily by Schliemann
(E) excavations of the fabled city Ilium, and ancient Troy, were temporarily halted by Schliemann.

Topic Locked. Refer to the following discussion: https://gmatclub.com/forum/confused-by-t ... 29909.html

Search for the posts before posting. Topic should have first few words from the question as topic name and avoid posting the same question multiple times.

--== Message from the GMAT Club Team ==--

THERE IS LIKELY A BETTER DISCUSSION OF THIS EXACT QUESTION.
This discussion does not meet community quality standards. It has been retired.

If you would like to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum. Thank you!

To review the GMAT Club's Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow these links: Quantitative | Verbal Please note - we may remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 583
Send PM
Confused by the many strata and substrata of ancient civilizations overlying one another, Schliemann’s excavations of the fabled city Ilium, the ancient Troy, were temporarily called to a halt.

(A) Schliemann’s excavations of the fabled city Ilium, ancient Troy, were temporarily called to a halt
(B) Schliemann’s excavations of the fabled city Ilium , the ancient Troy, temporarily halted
(C) Schliemann temporarily halted his excavations of the fabled city Ilium, the ancient Troy
(D) excavations of the fabled city of Ilium, the ancient Troy, were temporarily halted by Schliemann
(E) excavations of the fabled city Ilium, and ancient Troy, were temporarily halted by Schliemann.

Originally posted by ishajindal on 10 Jun 2016, 05:14.
Last edited by ishajindal on 12 Jun 2016, 06:11, edited 2 times in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
ishajindal wrote:
Confused by the many strata and substrata of ancient civilizations overlying one another, (underline start) Schliemann’s excavations of the fabled city Ilium, the ancient Troy, were temporarily called to a halt (underline end).

(B) Schliemann’s excavations of the fabled city Ilium , the ancient Troy, temporarily halted
(D) excavations of the fabled city Ilium, ancient Troy, were temporarily (D) excavations of the fabled city Ilium, ancient Troy, were temporarily by Schliemann

'Confused by the many strata and substrata of ancient civilizations overlying one another,' must modify 'Schliemann'

Only choice C uses this modification correctly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
While it is true that "confused" cannot modify anything else logically other than that man named in the sentence, can you please check the way you have pasted the answers? C appears incomplete D is malaligned! When you post questions please do keep them formatted in the best way possible as we do not understand what exactly omission of certain necessary modifiers / phrases mean!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Senthil7 wrote:
While it is true that "confused" cannot modify anything else logically other than that man named in the sentence, can you please check the way you have pasted the answers? C appears incomplete D is malaligned! When you post questions please do keep them formatted in the best way possible as we do not understand what exactly omission of certain necessary modifiers / phrases mean!

Needful done , post edited...

As Disha has pointed out correctly, the subject must come right after the Comma so none other than (C) is correct....

Only (C) correctly states that Schliemann was Confused & .........
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3804 [0]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
ong wrote:
218.Confused by the many strata and substrata of ancient civilizations overlying one another, Schliemann's excavations of the fabled city of Ilium, the ancient Troy, were temporarily called to a halt.

confused by X and Y, someone. -- correct.
excavations cannot be confused.

(A) Schliemann's excavations of the fabled city of Ilium, the ancient Troy, were temporarily called to a halt
(B) Schliemann's excavations of the fabled city of Ilium, the ancient Troy, temporarily halted
(C) Schliemann temporarily halted his excavations of the fabled city of Ilium, the ancient Troy
(D) excavations of the fabled city of Ilium, the ancient Troy, were temporarily halted by Schliemann
(E) excavations of the fabled city of Ilium, and of the ancient Troy, were temporarily halted by Schliemann
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts