Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V35
Send PM
Re: My battle for the 600+ started [#permalink]
Welcome European brother! :-) Which particular European schools are you looking at?

Fetch a couple of good classic english literature books to read when going to bed, it will help you improve both speed and familiarity with idioms.

I think you can do 600 with good verbal skills and improved quant skills. I got 620 on my first GMAT prep test and did a horrible attemp at the quant (only answered 29 out of 39 and got right on 16 only, afterwards I solved all the questions without trouble so I guess I was kinda nervous the first time :( ).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
heygirl wrote:
Hi,
I would start with making a plan first. I actually sat down with a paper and pen and made a plan for myself. I think you should have an outline of what you want to cover in the following weeks. This will give you a reality-check on your progress.
In my opinion, I would say start with the Manhattan guides. They have a detailed and systematic approach. Go through their guides one after the other. If you don't have the time for all of them, I have heard that, number properties and word translations should be on your list. Once you develop a good understanding of Quant concepts,move on to solve questions from OG 12/11/10. Similarly cover MGMAT SC and RC books. For CR, I prefer powerscore Bible. Also, solve question in verbal.

Hope that helped.

Good Luck

Thanks for the advice. I started covering the material with a math textbook from school. I will start the Manhattan guides in the next few days. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Mackieman wrote:
Welcome European brother! :-) Which particular European schools are you looking at?

Fetch a couple of good classic english literature books to read when going to bed, it will help you improve both speed and familiarity with idioms.

I think you can do 600 with good verbal skills and improved quant skills. I got 620 on my first GMAT prep test and did a horrible attemp at the quant (only answered 29 out of 39 and got right on 16 only, afterwards I solved all the questions without trouble so I guess I was kinda nervous the first time :( ).

Thanks :) I am looking at Rotterdam School of Management, Copenhagen Business School, and Stockholm School of Economics.

I absolutely agree with the english books. I read before sleep. They help me with the unknown words.

I hope in few months to do the the score like yours at the 1st try :wink:

Regards
T
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
 Q44  V35
Send PM
Todor wrote:
Mackieman wrote:

Thanks :) I am looking at Rotterdam School of Management, Copenhagen Business School, and Stockholm School of Economics.

I absolutely agree with the english books. I read before sleep. They help me with the unknown words.

I hope in few months to do the the score like yours at the 1st try :wink:

Regards
T

Nice, I'm applying for CBS and SSE as well. CBS does not require GMAT though, however, a good GMAT score might help you in the admission process. I'm hoping that my grades will get me into CBS if I fail in obtaining a good GMAT score (650+).

If want you want to start your MSc at SSE in the autumn of 2011 SSE requires your GMAT score before the 28th of february (I saw that you planned to take the test in april).

I think you need to score at least 650+ to have good chance for entry at MSc Finance, around 600+ for the other ones (marketing, management etc)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Booth, Columbia, Kellogg,INSEAD, LBS
 Q48  V46
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Hi Todor,
Though you have taken the Maths Diagnostic Test in OG12, I'd advise that you take a full length CAT before you start your preparation. Take a GMATPREP CAT(available for download on www.mba.com) and you'll get a better assessment about your competency level.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72887 [0]
Given Kudos: 18868
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
By the way don't waste too much time (though you can) on some of the second tier books (ARCO is the one that jumps out right away). Check this thread out for some study plans and book suggestions: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
By the way don't waste too much time (though you can) on some of the second tier books (ARCO is the one that jumps out right away). Check this thread out for some study plans and book suggestions: gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html?highlight=ml301

Yes, I know that some of the books are better than others, but i don't know exactly which. Thanks about that.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello again nice people,

I already had about 60-70 hours of studying since I started my preparation. I read Manhattan Word Translation,SC, CR and RC,FDP. Originally my plan was to cover those 4 Manhattan books, then to procced with all the qs in NOVA prep guide book, then all qs from ETS books, then qs from McGraw-Hills book, then OG Verbal and Quant, then Powescore CR Bible, and last Kaplan 800. What do you think about this arrangement?

1st time I took the GMAT prep software I got 380 points/Q 25, V18
2nd try after studying for two weeks 440 points/Q?, V17
3rd try after 4 more weeks of studying 510 points/Q31, V29 - I was very happy with this improvement , but yesterday I took the whole diagnostic test of the OG12 and I was avarage or below avarage scores on all the section, especially DS. I guess i was tired, but this is no excuse for me.

When I do quant there are still unfamiliar qs for me which is good in some way because when i cover the material from the guide books, probably i will do them right. But there are also qs that cover familiar aspects and I just guess answers.

My taget is 600+ and I have about two months before my GMAT date, which is up to 100 hours of studying/i hope more/, so i hope to be enough for me to get 600+. The question in my head is : I am doing the right thing?

What do you think? I am on the right way and should I try different approach, books, or whatever?

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
 Q39  V20
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
The books that you are using seem to be fine except for the Nova and mc graw hill books(I've never heard of them). Try incorporating all the MGMAT books in your study plan. May be you could leave out CR since you have powerscore CR. 2 months is good enough to get to 600+. Do you do the in-action problems at the end of each MGMAT book chapter? these quest really help me to get my concepts cemented. I think you should definitely get the MGMAT number properties book;this book is one of the best of the MGMAT set.
spend the next 3-4 weeks carefully going through all the MGMAT books and then take a CAT again..see where you are..from there keep improving ur weaknesses and 600+ will not be far ! :-)

Good Luck
Intern
Intern
Send PM
heygirl wrote:
The books that you are using seem to be fine except for the Nova and mc graw hill books(I've never heard of them). Try incorporating all the MGMAT books in your study plan. May be you could leave out CR since you have powerscore CR. 2 months is good enough to get to 600+. Do you do the in-action problems at the end of each MGMAT book chapter? these quest really help me to get my concepts cemented. I think you should definitely get the MGMAT number properties book;this book is one of the best of the MGMAT set.
spend the next 3-4 weeks carefully going through all the MGMAT books and then take a CAT again..see where you are..from there keep improving ur weaknesses and 600+ will not be far ! :-)

Good Luck

Yes i did the in-action problems. I already ordered MGMAT Number Properties, Geometry and Eq, Ineq and VIC's. I will study one more month and i will post my results.

Thanks for the advise
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Todor wrote:
heygirl wrote:

Good Luck

Yes i did the in-action problems. I already ordered MGMAT Number Properties, Geometry and Eq, Ineq and VIC's. I will study one more month with them and i will post my results.

Thanks for the advise
GMAT Club Bot