Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Aug 2014, 00:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 357

Kudos [?]: 1755 [1] , given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 01:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

70% (01:40) correct 30% (02:07) wrong based on 457 sessions
532. New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets may have caused reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field, the onset of ice ages, splitting apart continents 80 million years ago, and great volcanic eruptions.

(A) splitting apart continents
(B) the splitting apart of continents
(C) split apart continents
(D) continents split apart
(E) continents that were split apart
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

6 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 197 [6] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1000 #532 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 02:44
This post received
KUDOS
walker wrote:
532. New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets may have caused reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field, the onset of ice ages, splitting apart continents 80 million years ago, and great volcanic eruptions.

(A) splitting apart continents - is a participle, therefore not correct for parallelism.
(B) the splitting apart of continents - noun because the article "the" changes the participle "splitting apart" into a noun, therefore it looks good
(C) split apart continents - verb, therefore no
(D) continents split apart - although this option starts with a noun, none of the other items on the list has a verb. therefore, "split" ruins the parallel structure.
(E) continents that were split apart- no where in the other items in the list has any relative pronouns

I would say B because we have a list of nouns, and some nouns have adjectives as well. Adjectives don't interfere with the nouns, so we have to look for an answer choice that would have either a noun or a noun with an adjective.
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 237

Kudos [?]: 52 [1] , given: 0

Premium Member
Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2013, 21:51
This post received
KUDOS
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1755 [0], given: 358

Re: SC1000 #532 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 03:29
Expert's post
OA is B.
Thanks for good explanation!
+1

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 197 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1000 #532 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 07:36
you're welcome man, you've helped me so much with my previous problems and i never had the chance to help you out. that is the least thing i could do! :)
take care
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1755 [0], given: 358

Re: SC1000 #532 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 07:58
Expert's post

Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC1000 #532 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 22:50
Sentence has “nouns” parallelism issue

(A) splitting apart continents (“splitting” acts as a participle, but require a noun – Eliminate it)
(B) the splitting apart of continents (“the splitting” is a gerund – Hold it)
(C) split apart continents (Not parallel – Eliminate it)
(D) continents split apart ( Not parallel – Eliminate it)
(E) continents that were split apart ( Not parallel – Eliminate it)

Answer: B
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 103

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2012, 20:21
119) New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets may have caused reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field, the onset of ice ages, splitting apart continents 80 million years ago, and great volcanic eruptions.

The imp thing in the question is check the construction : Cause -> Effect

New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets may have caused
reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field,
the onset of ice ages,
splitting apart continents 80 million years ago,
and great volcanic eruptions.

Now these 4 should be parallel - the splitting apart of continents ( complex gerund mostly constructed by the +simple gerund+ of ..)

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 09:34
walker wrote:

...may have caused:
1) reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field
2) the onset of ice ages
3) _______________
4) great volcanic eruptions

what's going on here? 2 elements in the list don't have "the", and 1 does? how come this is parallel? I think it should either be:

1) reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field
2) onset of ice ages
3) splits of continents
4) great volcanic eruptions
or
1) the reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field
2) the onset of ice ages
3) the splitting of continents
4) the great volcanic eruptions
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 25

Re: SC1000 #532 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 03:09
tarek99 wrote:
walker wrote:

(A) splitting apart continents - is a participle, therefore not correct for parallelism.
(B) the splitting apart of continents - noun because the article "the" changes the participle "splitting apart" into a noun, therefore it looks good
(D) continents split apart - although this option starts with a noun, none of the other items on the list has a verb. therefore, "split" ruins the parallel structure.
(E) continents that were split apart- no where in the other items in the list has any relative pronouns

I would say B because we have a list of nouns, and some nouns have adjectives as well. Adjectives don't interfere with the nouns, so we have to look for an answer choice that would have either a noun or a noun with an adjective.

Why "split" in B is not past participle and therefore parallel to "volcanic eruptions" ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 54

Re: SC1000 #532 [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 05:08
Skag55 wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
walker wrote:

Why "split" in B is not past participle and therefore parallel to "volcanic eruptions" ?

<splitting apart of continents> is a gerund phrase, not a participle.

How to differentiate between a gerund phrase and a participle phrase ...
Consider the following sentences.
Splitting apart continents, the force was responsible for the spread of super continents.
The underlined part is a present participle phrase which modifies "force"

The catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets may have caused splitting apart of continents
The underlined part is a gerund phrase. It functions as a noun (object). It doesn't modify anything.
In option A, a participle phrase is used. So, it's not parallel to noun phrases or nouns.
In option B, the error is corrected by using the gerund phrase.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 03:40
walker wrote:

They simply want to test if we understand a specific form of parallelism:

When you have >2 parallel entities, you have to have "and" before the LAST entity. Since "and" precedes "eruptions", we know that whatever we're supposed to put in needs to be parallel to the entities that come before. "Reversals in THE magnetic field... THE onset... [THE splitting apart]...AND great volcanic eruptions"

Only B works.
Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids   [#permalink] 06 Jan 2014, 03:40