It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 09:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 4661 [2], given: 360

Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2008, 02:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

68% (00:42) correct 32% (00:54) wrong based on 494 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets may have caused reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field, the onset of ice ages, splitting apart continents 80 million years ago, and great volcanic eruptions.

(A) splitting apart continents
(B) the splitting apart of continents
(C) split apart continents
(D) continents split apart
(E) continents that were split apart
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Kudos [?]: 4661 [2], given: 360

13 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1050 [13], given: 1

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2008, 03:44
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
walker wrote:
532. New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets may have caused reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field, the onset of ice ages, splitting apart continents 80 million years ago, and great volcanic eruptions.

(A) splitting apart continents - is a participle, therefore not correct for parallelism.
(B) the splitting apart of continents - noun because the article "the" changes the participle "splitting apart" into a noun, therefore it looks good
(C) split apart continents - verb, therefore no
(D) continents split apart - although this option starts with a noun, none of the other items on the list has a verb. therefore, "split" ruins the parallel structure.
(E) continents that were split apart- no where in the other items in the list has any relative pronouns

I would say B because we have a list of nouns, and some nouns have adjectives as well. Adjectives don't interfere with the nouns, so we have to look for an answer choice that would have either a noun or a noun with an adjective.

Kudos [?]: 1050 [13], given: 1

SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 1050 [0], given: 1

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2008, 08:36
you're welcome man, you've helped me so much with my previous problems and i never had the chance to help you out. that is the least thing i could do! :)
take care

Kudos [?]: 1050 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2008, 23:50
Sentence has “nouns” parallelism issue

(A) splitting apart continents (“splitting” acts as a participle, but require a noun – Eliminate it)
(B) the splitting apart of continents (“the splitting” is a gerund – Hold it)
(C) split apart continents (Not parallel – Eliminate it)
(D) continents split apart ( Not parallel – Eliminate it)
(E) continents that were split apart ( Not parallel – Eliminate it)

Answer: B

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 290 [1], given: 103

Show Tags

New post 14 Sep 2012, 21:21
This post received
KUDOS
119) New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets may have caused reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field, the onset of ice ages, splitting apart continents 80 million years ago, and great volcanic eruptions.

The imp thing in the question is check the construction : Cause -> Effect

New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets may have caused
reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field,
the onset of ice ages,
splitting apart continents 80 million years ago,
and great volcanic eruptions.

Now these 4 should be parallel - the splitting apart of continents ( complex gerund mostly constructed by the +simple gerund+ of ..)

If u can't jump the 700 wall , drill a big hole and cross it .. I can and I WILL DO IT ...need some encouragement and inspirations from U ALL

Kudos [?]: 290 [1], given: 103

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
D

Kudos [?]: 17608 [1], given: 1986

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 02:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets may have caused reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field, the onset of ice ages, splitting apart continents 80 million years ago, and great volcanic eruptions.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 17608 [1], given: 1986

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 09 Oct 2012, 09:28
souvik101990 wrote:

we need parallelism and only B has it.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 38

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 11 Oct 2012, 13:47
souvik101990 wrote:

Can you explain why 'C" is not the correct choice.

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 5

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 52

GPA: 3.65

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2012, 12:19
jitgoel wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

yes same question from my end...I know parallelism is needed in this question but please explain why not C....

6 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 93 [6], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 12 Oct 2012, 20:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Maryam787 wrote:
jitgoel wrote:

yes same question from my end...I know parallelism is needed in this question but please explain why not C....

We have a list of noun phrases here -

reversals in the Earth’s
the onset of ice ages
volcanic eruptions

(A) splitting apart continents - this is a verb and conveys that preceding action did the splitting
(B) the splitting apart of continents - "of" makes the difference here..."the splitting" becomes the noun phase
(C) split apart continents - "split" again acts as verb - we need a noun - thats why this stands incorrect in the context
(D) continents split apart - change of meaning
(E) continents that were split apart - incorrect

I hope this helps!

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 93 [6], given: 38

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 1691 [0], given: 116

Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2012, 00:01
Action nouns are parallel to complex gerund phrases.

Only B satisfies the condition.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Kudos [?]: 1691 [0], given: 116

Intern
Intern

GPA: 3.65

Show Tags

New post 13 Oct 2012, 11:38
yashii9 wrote:
Maryam787 wrote:
jitgoel wrote:

We have a list of noun phrases here -

reversals in the Earth’s
the onset of ice ages
volcanic eruptions

(A) splitting apart continents - this is a verb and conveys that preceding action did the splitting
(B) the splitting apart of continents - "of" makes the difference here..."the splitting" becomes the noun phase
(C) split apart continents - "split" again acts as verb - we need a noun - thats why this stands incorrect in the context
(D) continents split apart - change of meaning
(E) continents that were split apart - incorrect

I hope this helps!

thank you,,,It was very helpful,,,got your point,,,

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 34

WE: Account Management (Other)

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2012, 06:53
This post was
BOOKMARKED
To maintain the parallelism of the sentence, the list that the impacts (reversal...., onset, ...splitting.... and ....eruptions) need to be parallel. As it stands in A the list goes noun, noun, verb, noun so we need to correct the verb phrase into a noun phrase.
A – eliminate because splitting is a noun
B – Correct. Splitting in this sense is a gerund and therefore a noun. This is achieved by the placement of ‘the’ and the conjunction ‘of’ which makes continents a modifier of the noun. Think of running, it’s an activity (i.e. a noun) and an action (i.e. a verb)
C – split is a verb in the infinitive, and hence isn’t the noun we’re looking for
D – Not sure how to explain this unless I simplify the sentence. Catastrophic impacts .... caused...SPLIT APART CONINENTS. As is stands, this sentence says that the asteroids created the continents (which are split) rather than creating the action of splitting the continents.
E – Again, this sentence says that the continents were created, rather that the action of splitting.

In the study cave!

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 34

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 415 [0], given: 121

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2012, 02:11

(B) the splitting apart of continents CORRECT

It is not C because the sentence - the splitting apart of continents - says that some action lasted in past, that it was a process and not just one moment in time...and C doesn't emphasise that it was a process, but something that asteroids and comets usually do. This is how I've understood it.

Kudos if you like the post!

Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Kudos [?]: 415 [0], given: 121

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 87

GMAT Date: 10-01-2012

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2012, 23:54
B is the right answer because it maintains parralelism by the use of a gerund phrase.

I will rather do nothing than be busy doing nothing - Zen saying

Kudos [?]: 83 [0], given: 87

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
WE: General Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2012, 23:06
can we omit "the" in "B". Whats wrong with "splitting apart of continents".

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 10

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: -9 [1], given: 0

Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2013, 19:04
This post received
KUDOS
B is correct - action nouns such as "reversal" can be parrallel to complex gerunds such as "splitting apart of continents" but not to simple gerunds such as "splitting apart continents"

Kudos [?]: -9 [1], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2013, 01:28
This post was
BOOKMARKED
New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of
asteroids and comets may have caused reversals in
the Earth’s magnetic field, the onset of ice ages,
splitting apart continents 80 million years ago, and
great volcanic eruptions.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 429 [1], given: 4

Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2013, 01:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,

Let me see if I can work this one through....

OK, from the question it looks like this is a parralelism issue. We have a list of things that 'catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets' may have done, but right now the current underlined sections seems to be out of kilter with the rest of the list. Look at each of the items in turn:

reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field
the onset of ice ages,
splitting apart continents 80 million years ago

It is clear that the red section, which equates with the underlined is out of sync. It's the only one with an 'ing' i.e. an action occuring. Everything else is different.

Looking at the answer options gives us a clear winner...

(B) the splitting apart of continents. And here it is by adding the 'the' we change the meaning, and it becomes a statement like the others, rather than something happening.
(C) split apart continents This 'split' is in the past tense - unlike anything else
(D) continents split apart Again past tense
(E) continents that were split apart Once more an action occuring in the past

Hope that helps...

Former GMAT Pill student, now on staff. Used GMATPILL OG 12 and nothing else: 770 (48,48) & 6.0

... and more

Kudos [?]: 429 [1], given: 4

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2013, 02:43
plumber250 wrote:
Hello,

Let me see if I can work this one through....

OK, from the question it looks like this is a parralelism issue. We have a list of things that 'catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets' may have done, but right now the current underlined sections seems to be out of kilter with the rest of the list. Look at each of the items in turn:

reversals in the Earth’s magnetic field
the onset of ice ages,
splitting apart continents 80 million years ago

It is clear that the red section, which equates with the underlined is out of sync. It's the only one with an 'ing' i.e. an action occuring. Everything else is different.

Looking at the answer options gives us a clear winner...

(B) the splitting apart of continents. And here it is by adding the 'the' we change the meaning, and it becomes a statement like the others, rather than something happening.
(C) split apart continents This 'split' is in the past tense - unlike anything else
(D) continents split apart Again past tense
(E) continents that were split apart Once more an action occuring in the past

Hope that helps...

Thanks Your Answer was correct.
But where I was facing the problem is that I dont get the concept when you say
- "And here it is by adding the 'the' we change the meaning, and it becomes a statement like the others, rather than something happening"

the explanation says that "reversals, the onset, eruptions" are nouns and adding "the" with "splitting" makes it a noun.

Can you please explain the rule to me in detail. What is the concept behind this.

It is is all having a noun in the phrase. we have "continents split apart" Option D

Re: New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2013, 02:43

Go to page    1   2   3    Next  [ 49 posts ] 

New theories propose that catastrophic impacts of asteroids and comets

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap