Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
The speaking section is terrible, especially because all testmates are speaking at the same time :)

Good Luck ! :)

I move now your post in the OffTopics forum.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Very Overwhelmed [#permalink]
I have a TOEFL appointment 2 weeks from now, and the speaking part is giving me nightmares. The reading and listening mocks I've done so far are both ok (from 27 - 30), the writing I can handle.

I made the IELTS in january and got a 7.5 overall (R8 L8 W7 S7), and the speaking part could have been better if I weren't nervous, but anyway it is ok. Now with the speaking of the TOEFL iBT, it seems like I just do not have enough time to prepare the answers, is that normal? Anybody has any tips?
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Very Overwhelmed [#permalink]
kwam wrote:
I have a TOEFL appointment 2 weeks from now, and the speaking part is giving me nightmares. The reading and listening mocks I've done so far are both ok (from 27 - 30), the writing I can handle.

I made the IELTS in january and got a 7.5 overall (R8 L8 W7 S7), and the speaking part could have been better if I weren't nervous, but anyway it is ok. Now with the speaking of the TOEFL iBT, it seems like I just do not have enough time to prepare the answers, is that normal? Anybody has any tips?

The only tip that I want u to know is to speak the clearest way possible :)... That was not my case and I have spoken too fast as well ;)... The result was not so much convincing but pulled up by other parts :)

Good Luck ! :D :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
kwam wrote:

Your IELTS is good enough for Harvard, TOEFL should show a similarly acceptable score.
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
xerox wrote:
kwam wrote:

Your IELTS is good enough for Harvard, TOEFL should show a similarly acceptable score.

I've just received my TOEFL results:
R29 L27 S26 W27 Total 109
I made it, it's even better than my IELTS!

The speaking part break-down shows that in the start I screwed up, but at the other parts I really improved, perhaps something with how anxious I was.

Thanks everybody for the advices!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
kwam wrote:
I've just received my TOEFL results:
R29 L27 S26 W27 Total 109
I made it, it's even better than my IELTS!

Well done! Congratulations :-D I guess the TOEFL/IELTS is just one more hurdle for us international apps.

Fig wrote:
The speaking section is terrible, especially because all testmates are speaking at the same time :)

you bet - i got a 113 coz i scored a 24 in the speaking section :cry: anyways, it clears the cut, so... :done

My advice?
Make sure you attack all the other sections with gusto. For the speaking section, think out what you want to say in the time provided, and when you a speaking, keep an eye on the timer.

I screwed up with the timing on one of the speaking questions...

However, speaking in general, how do you rate the TOEFL?

I don't think its the right format - it is supposed to 'mesaure the ability of nonnative speakers of English to use and understand English as it is spoken, written, and heard in college and university settings.'

I mean, talking to a person is not the same as recording something on a computer (You may be better when talking with ppl than when talking into a mike) :? The listening section seemed too simple, the speech being played back is too clear to be classroom talk. And the other sections are just repetitions of the GMAT Verbal section, or, for that matter, the GRE Verbal section etc...

Where else are TOEFL scores used? H1Bs?
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
kwam :)..... Congrats ! :D :)..... One more step is done ;)... U should be fine with your score :)

paddyboy, yes, I agree with u. The speaking section is not at all representative of the real ability of a person.

It's too strict in term of time, not realistic (human - mike interaction), weird (feeling to speak alone and on personal matter) and unsure (how is it recorded? what is the quality of the sound).

But anyway, we have to fit :)

The worst for me was the very very hard time to find a test center ! 2 montrhs and 1000 km, one way, to do in order to reach the center. And no way to have another shot for the next 4 months. That's the hardest part at least for european people who are willing to pass the test.

Good luck for everyone who has to pass it ! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fig wrote:
The worst for me was the very very hard time to find a test center ! 2 montrhs and 1000 km, one way, to do in order to reach the center.

WHAT?! :shock: But at the brighter side, you probably took some time off for sight-seeing, didn't you? :wink: I hope you did - 2000 kms for the TOEFL is just too much!

My centre was a 10 minute drive from my place :P
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
paddyboy wrote:
Fig wrote:
The worst for me was the very very hard time to find a test center ! 2 montrhs and 1000 km, one way, to do in order to reach the center.

WHAT?! :shock: But at the brighter side, you probably took some time off for sight-seeing, didn't you? :wink: I hope you did - 2000 kms for the TOEFL is just too much!

My centre was a 10 minute drive from my place :P

Yes... There is always a bright side ;)... We enjoyed with my wife "Mont Saint Michel" out of touristic season and Saint Malo :).... Very pretty to see it and with such a nice ride (A4) ;)

But, sadly, the rest is true about European ETS Test centers... A disaster. I heard stories of people who have to go in other countries, using aircraft and having a cancelled test beacause of technical issues on D Day. Horrible but true !
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fig wrote:
kwam :)..... Congrats ! :D :)..... One more step is done ;)... U should be fine with your score :)

paddyboy, yes, I agree with u. The speaking section is not at all representative of the real ability of a person.

It's too strict in term of time, not realistic (human - mike interaction), weird (feeling to speak alone and on personal matter) and unsure (how is it recorded? what is the quality of the sound).

But anyway, we have to fit :)

The worst for me was the very very hard time to find a test center ! 2 montrhs and 1000 km, one way, to do in order to reach the center. And no way to have another shot for the next 4 months. That's the hardest part at least for european people who are willing to pass the test.

Good luck for everyone who has to pass it ! :)

I live in Lisbon and had to fly to London to take the test, I was really worried with 2 things: the score and the money I spent with this "bloody" test! At least the score is enough.

The speaking part is simply awful, as FIG said the worst thing is that everybody starts talking at the same time, I think the IELTS methodology is better.

Thanks guys. now I need to improve my verbal GMAT...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Fig wrote:
... and with such a nice ride (A4) ;)

Aah an Audi fan! :) My favourite is the Audi TT - they are launching it in India!! Awesome :-D

kwam wrote:
I live in Lisbon and had to fly to London to take the test, I was really worried with 2 things: the score and the money I spent with this "bloody" test!

This keeps getting worse!! :yikes
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
paddyboy wrote:
Fig wrote:
... and with such a nice ride (A4) ;)

Aah an Audi fan! :) My favourite is the Audi TT - they are launching it in India!! Awesome :-D

kwam wrote:
I live in Lisbon and had to fly to London to take the test, I was really worried with 2 things: the score and the money I spent with this "bloody" test!

This keeps getting worse!! :yikes

They are fantastic for long trips and highways ;)... Unstoppable and asking more ;)

So, it's surely the new TT that appears now in India:

I have recieved an invite for an A5 show at Luxemburg... I have it at left of me on my sofa ;)... I will perhaps go for it ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
The A5 - now THATS a mean ride :shock: Awesome!!!
Attachments

Audi A5.jpg
Audi A5.jpg [ 51.71 KiB | Viewed 3746 times ]

VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
paddyboy wrote:
The A5 - now THATS a mean ride :shock: Awesome!!!

Sorry Paddyboy... It's a photoshop the one u show :)

The real A5 is such as this https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=42775
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
[#permalink]
an off_topic: from Audis back to TOEFL :)
I scored 23 in Speaking. Will it heart much, if the total was 107 (R29 L25 S23 W30)? Actually, I speak well in various situations, adapting my accent to the person with whom I speak (British/American/Eastern European/Asian), but for TOEFL didn't take enough time for speaking, investing all the time available into the GMAT and had to take TOEFL the next day after GMAT :) also had to travel 2000 kms to take exams.
VP
VP
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
R.E.D. wrote:
an off_topic: from Audis back to TOEFL :)
I scored 23 in Speaking. Will it heart much, if the total was 107 (R29 L25 S23 W30)? Actually, I speak well in various situations, adapting my accent to the person with whom I speak (British/American/Eastern European/Asian), but for TOEFL didn't take enough time for speaking, investing all the time available into the GMAT and had to take TOEFL the next day after GMAT :) also had to travel 2000 kms to take exams.

Not sure, I think you can tackle this problem during the interview. Another way is to put that on the "anything else you want to tak us" part of the application.

I thought a little strange your breakdown, usually someone with W30 gets better L, how could that happen? Were you too nervous?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4384 posts