It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 06:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

OFF_TOPIC : TOEFL ?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 233

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

OFF_TOPIC : TOEFL ? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2007, 10:00
Anyone can tell me a minimum level to be reached on TOEFL in order to aply for TOP 10 schools? I got 95/120 on IBT.

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1794

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2007, 12:25
Sorry to say u that, but the general limit is 100/120. Some special cases exist as well. INSEAD asks for a 105.

Thus, u should pass again. Sorry.

PS: U could check it with the business u want to apply for

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 233

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2007, 06:36
I see. that's awesome to know I just needed only 5 points more to get there.....oh MY!!!!!!

what I can say: speaking kills, even if you speak everyday .....

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1794

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Apr 2007, 07:14
The speaking section is terrible, especially because all testmates are speaking at the same time :)

Good Luck ! :)

I move now your post in the OffTopics forum.

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Posts: 233

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2007, 12:45
Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1045

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Location: New York, NY
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Very Overwhelmed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2007, 03:56
I have a TOEFL appointment 2 weeks from now, and the speaking part is giving me nightmares. The reading and listening mocks I've done so far are both ok (from 27 - 30), the writing I can handle.

I made the IELTS in january and got a 7.5 overall (R8 L8 W7 S7), and the speaking part could have been better if I weren't nervous, but anyway it is ok. Now with the speaking of the TOEFL iBT, it seems like I just do not have enough time to prepare the answers, is that normal? Anybody has any tips?

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1794

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

Re: Very Overwhelmed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2007, 04:17
kwam wrote:
I have a TOEFL appointment 2 weeks from now, and the speaking part is giving me nightmares. The reading and listening mocks I've done so far are both ok (from 27 - 30), the writing I can handle.

I made the IELTS in january and got a 7.5 overall (R8 L8 W7 S7), and the speaking part could have been better if I weren't nervous, but anyway it is ok. Now with the speaking of the TOEFL iBT, it seems like I just do not have enough time to prepare the answers, is that normal? Anybody has any tips?


The only tip that I want u to know is to speak the clearest way possible :)... That was not my case and I have spoken too fast as well ;)... The result was not so much convincing but pulled up by other parts :)

Good Luck ! :D :)

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Posts: 468

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 8

Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Re: Very Overwhelmed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Apr 2007, 09:04
kwam wrote:
I have a TOEFL appointment 2 weeks from now, and the speaking part is giving me nightmares. The reading and listening mocks I've done so far are both ok (from 27 - 30), the writing I can handle.

I made the IELTS in january and got a 7.5 overall (R8 L8 W7 S7), and the speaking part could have been better if I weren't nervous, but anyway it is ok. Now with the speaking of the TOEFL iBT, it seems like I just do not have enough time to prepare the answers, is that normal? Anybody has any tips?


Your IELTS is good enough for Harvard, TOEFL should show a similarly acceptable score.

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 8

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1045

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Location: New York, NY
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
Re: Very Overwhelmed [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Jun 2007, 15:43
xerox wrote:
kwam wrote:
I have a TOEFL appointment 2 weeks from now, and the speaking part is giving me nightmares. The reading and listening mocks I've done so far are both ok (from 27 - 30), the writing I can handle.

I made the IELTS in january and got a 7.5 overall (R8 L8 W7 S7), and the speaking part could have been better if I weren't nervous, but anyway it is ok. Now with the speaking of the TOEFL iBT, it seems like I just do not have enough time to prepare the answers, is that normal? Anybody has any tips?


Your IELTS is good enough for Harvard, TOEFL should show a similarly acceptable score.


I've just received my TOEFL results:
R29 L27 S26 W27 Total 109
I made it, it's even better than my IELTS!

The speaking part break-down shows that in the start I screwed up, but at the other parts I really improved, perhaps something with how anxious I was.

Thanks everybody for the advices!

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 790

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2007, 00:15
kwam wrote:
I've just received my TOEFL results:
R29 L27 S26 W27 Total 109
I made it, it's even better than my IELTS!


Well done! Congratulations :-D I guess the TOEFL/IELTS is just one more hurdle for us international apps.

Fig wrote:
The speaking section is terrible, especially because all testmates are speaking at the same time :)


you bet - i got a 113 coz i scored a 24 in the speaking section :cry: anyways, it clears the cut, so... :done

My advice?
Make sure you attack all the other sections with gusto. For the speaking section, think out what you want to say in the time provided, and when you a speaking, keep an eye on the timer.

I screwed up with the timing on one of the speaking questions...

However, speaking in general, how do you rate the TOEFL?

I don't think its the right format - it is supposed to 'mesaure the ability of nonnative speakers of English to use and understand English as it is spoken, written, and heard in college and university settings.'

I mean, talking to a person is not the same as recording something on a computer (You may be better when talking with ppl than when talking into a mike) :? The listening section seemed too simple, the speech being played back is too clear to be classroom talk. And the other sections are just repetitions of the GMAT Verbal section, or, for that matter, the GRE Verbal section etc...

Where else are TOEFL scores used? H1Bs?

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 2

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1794

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2007, 01:15
kwam :)..... Congrats ! :D :)..... One more step is done ;)... U should be fine with your score :)

paddyboy, yes, I agree with u. The speaking section is not at all representative of the real ability of a person.

It's too strict in term of time, not realistic (human - mike interaction), weird (feeling to speak alone and on personal matter) and unsure (how is it recorded? what is the quality of the sound).

But anyway, we have to fit :)

The worst for me was the very very hard time to find a test center ! 2 montrhs and 1000 km, one way, to do in order to reach the center. And no way to have another shot for the next 4 months. That's the hardest part at least for european people who are willing to pass the test.

Good luck for everyone who has to pass it ! :)

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 790

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2007, 02:26
Fig wrote:
The worst for me was the very very hard time to find a test center ! 2 montrhs and 1000 km, one way, to do in order to reach the center.


WHAT?! :shock: But at the brighter side, you probably took some time off for sight-seeing, didn't you? :wink: I hope you did - 2000 kms for the TOEFL is just too much!

My centre was a 10 minute drive from my place :P

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 2

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1794

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2007, 02:37
paddyboy wrote:
Fig wrote:
The worst for me was the very very hard time to find a test center ! 2 montrhs and 1000 km, one way, to do in order to reach the center.


WHAT?! :shock: But at the brighter side, you probably took some time off for sight-seeing, didn't you? :wink: I hope you did - 2000 kms for the TOEFL is just too much!

My centre was a 10 minute drive from my place :P


Yes... There is always a bright side ;)... We enjoyed with my wife "Mont Saint Michel" out of touristic season and Saint Malo :).... Very pretty to see it and with such a nice ride (A4) ;)

But, sadly, the rest is true about European ETS Test centers... A disaster. I heard stories of people who have to go in other countries, using aircraft and having a cancelled test beacause of technical issues on D Day. Horrible but true !

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1045

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Location: New York, NY
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2007, 02:58
Fig wrote:
kwam :)..... Congrats ! :D :)..... One more step is done ;)... U should be fine with your score :)

paddyboy, yes, I agree with u. The speaking section is not at all representative of the real ability of a person.

It's too strict in term of time, not realistic (human - mike interaction), weird (feeling to speak alone and on personal matter) and unsure (how is it recorded? what is the quality of the sound).

But anyway, we have to fit :)

The worst for me was the very very hard time to find a test center ! 2 montrhs and 1000 km, one way, to do in order to reach the center. And no way to have another shot for the next 4 months. That's the hardest part at least for european people who are willing to pass the test.

Good luck for everyone who has to pass it ! :)


I live in Lisbon and had to fly to London to take the test, I was really worried with 2 things: the score and the money I spent with this "bloody" test! At least the score is enough.

The speaking part is simply awful, as FIG said the worst thing is that everybody starts talking at the same time, I think the IELTS methodology is better.

Thanks guys. now I need to improve my verbal GMAT...

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 790

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2007, 08:23
Fig wrote:
... and with such a nice ride (A4) ;)


Aah an Audi fan! :) My favourite is the Audi TT - they are launching it in India!! Awesome :-D

kwam wrote:
I live in Lisbon and had to fly to London to take the test, I was really worried with 2 things: the score and the money I spent with this "bloody" test!


This keeps getting worse!! :yikes

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 2

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1794

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jun 2007, 09:50
paddyboy wrote:
Fig wrote:
... and with such a nice ride (A4) ;)


Aah an Audi fan! :) My favourite is the Audi TT - they are launching it in India!! Awesome :-D

kwam wrote:
I live in Lisbon and had to fly to London to take the test, I was really worried with 2 things: the score and the money I spent with this "bloody" test!


This keeps getting worse!! :yikes


They are fantastic for long trips and highways ;)... Unstoppable and asking more ;)

So, it's surely the new TT that appears now in India:

Image

I have recieved an invite for an A5 show at Luxemburg... I have it at left of me on my sofa ;)... I will perhaps go for it ;)

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 790

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 2

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2007, 09:27
The A5 - now THATS a mean ride :shock: Awesome!!!
Attachments

Audi A5.jpg
Audi A5.jpg [ 51.71 KiB | Viewed 2279 times ]

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 2

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1794

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Jun 2007, 13:33
paddyboy wrote:
The A5 - now THATS a mean ride :shock: Awesome!!!


Sorry Paddyboy... It's a photoshop the one u show :)

The real A5 is such as this http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=42775

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 07 Aug 2006
Posts: 328

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Aug 2007, 21:29
an off_topic: from Audis back to TOEFL :)
I scored 23 in Speaking. Will it heart much, if the total was 107 (R29 L25 S23 W30)? Actually, I speak well in various situations, adapting my accent to the person with whom I speak (British/American/Eastern European/Asian), but for TOEFL didn't take enough time for speaking, investing all the time available into the GMAT and had to take TOEFL the next day after GMAT :) also had to travel 2000 kms to take exams.

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 1045

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

Location: New York, NY
Schools: Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Sep 2007, 02:41
R.E.D. wrote:
an off_topic: from Audis back to TOEFL :)
I scored 23 in Speaking. Will it heart much, if the total was 107 (R29 L25 S23 W30)? Actually, I speak well in various situations, adapting my accent to the person with whom I speak (British/American/Eastern European/Asian), but for TOEFL didn't take enough time for speaking, investing all the time available into the GMAT and had to take TOEFL the next day after GMAT :) also had to travel 2000 kms to take exams.


Not sure, I think you can tackle this problem during the interview. Another way is to put that on the "anything else you want to tak us" part of the application.

I thought a little strange your breakdown, usually someone with W30 gets better L, how could that happen? Were you too nervous?

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 3

  [#permalink] 11 Sep 2007, 02:41

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 24 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

OFF_TOPIC : TOEFL ?

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: carcass, subhashghosh



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.