Last visit was: 24 May 2024, 08:43 It is currently 24 May 2024, 08:43
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Merage 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
JoshSatt wrote:
gandalf007 wrote:
I was interviewed on Feb 1st. I recieved a mail today saying that I am wait listed! I was banking on UCI for admit with scholarship :(

Crazy! Same exact situation for me right now. I just hope it doesn't take too long to hear a final decision. Best of luck to both of us!

Tough luck. Is there any deadline for the final decision, or can it possibly go on until the start of the program?
Are you waiting to hear back from any other schools?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE:Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Hi Guys,

When asked 'if admitted to all schools, how would you decide?'
How would you answer?

I haven't even thought that far. I mean I only applied to all the schools that I wanted to go to. To decide, I would need to get so much more information and weigh so many different factors.

But during the interview, how would you answer?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 286
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GRE 1: Q800 V800
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
darwingwang wrote:
Hi Guys,

How would you answer?

I haven't even thought that far. I mean I only applied to all the schools that I wanted to go to. To decide, I would need to get so much more information and weigh so many different factors.

Yeah, this is a toughie. There's also an equally important question, which would precede this one - "What other schools are you applying to".

My 2 cents (take this with a pinch of salt since I'm a bit rusty):
  • It's important to not be too honest with this answer. First, name some of the other schools that you are applying to. I think 3 schools, including Merage, is the optimum number.
  • Mention the reasons for applying to the other schools. The reasons have to be valid, and there have to be a few overlapping factors between Merage and the other schools.
  • Cite examples of interactions with Merage (students/alum/faculty/adcom/classes/events), and draw a few comparisons with the other schools. No need to accentuate the positives in the other schools.
  • You might want to mention that one of the schools is a backup option. This should not be Merage!
  • Try hinting that unless you receive a significant scholarship from one of the other schools, you would, at this stage, be looking to take up Merage. I would take this a level higher, and indicate that a scholarship from Merage would probably seal the deal.
  • This may seem like a lot to cover, but ensure that you don't spend too much time answering this. Try and keep it as brief as possible. Avoid dwelling on specifics about the other schools.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
darwingwang wrote:
Hi Guys,

How would you answer?

Remember that its OK to lie with this question in some cases - in fact adcoms will take your answer with a grain of salt. When I was interviewed I was asked exactly the same question. This question imples that they want to know which schools you've applied, and how much research you have done with your applications with this question and what matters to you the most with MBA. Couple of tips:

There is a great chance that this question will pop up after "what other schools have you applied to and why?" The most important thing to remember here is that when you mention other schools you are applying, (of course, only do so when asked to name them) DO NOT mention obvious schools that are in higher tier than Merage. For example, if you applied to Booth and Wharton as your reach school, USC as your 50/50 and UCI as your backup, you only need to mention USC (even USC might be a stretch with Merage) to adcom. Basically the schools don't want to be applicants' "back up schools" and they can tell by the types of school an applicant is applying, so make sure to play down on this one and mention only comparable schools.

Of course, Merage might be the top choice for you, in that case no lying will be necessary. Just tell them something like you will be bery thankful and weigh in factors such as programs, alumni and job opportunities, locations, and scholarships altogether, BUT Merage remains my top choice at this time. Always end on a positive note for Merage.

Good luck - my experience with Merage interview wasn't that pleasant and I ended up turning down their offer, but they will ask typical questions so no need to be alarmed.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rasta wrote:
JoshSatt wrote:
gandalf007 wrote:
I was interviewed on Feb 1st. I recieved a mail today saying that I am wait listed! I was banking on UCI for admit with scholarship :(

Crazy! Same exact situation for me right now. I just hope it doesn't take too long to hear a final decision. Best of luck to both of us!

Tough luck. Is there any deadline for the final decision, or can it possibly go on until the start of the program?
Are you waiting to hear back from any other schools?

Yeah I called their office and was told I could be waiting until June! I definitely hope that's not the case.
I'm waiting to hear back from USC. I'm pretty confident I'll at least get an interview there.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I sure hope that they do not keep international students waiting till june! I too am waiting to hear from USC. Looks like all SoCal schools are in demand this year! hoping for the best... All the best guys!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Iam in!. Just got the mail.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Pepperdine vs UCI

guys, how do u rank these two schools? Who has the better program in SoCal?

one of my friend got in UCI, but got rejected from Pepperdine.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.4
WE:Sales (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
chenglin1117 wrote:
Pepperdine vs UCI

guys, how do u rank these two schools? Who has the better program in SoCal?

one of my friend got in UCI, but got rejected from Pepperdine.

https://poetsandquants.com/2010/12/14/po ... the-u-s/3/
is a good ranking overview.

I would rank UCI over Pepperdine.
I feel like Pepperdine is only known in LA and can carry you to mid-level management, but if you were to go higher, that may be a challenge.
UCI is more geared torwards technology. It's semi-known throughout Southern California--ranging from Santa Barbara to San Diego.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GPA: 2.49
WE:Other (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Did anyone meet an ambassador prior to the interview? Is it recommended?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
accepted with scholarship today. Applied last day of R2. Interviewed through Skype last Friday. Got results today 1 week later.

670 gmat
3.49 gpa
fp&a background

Interview with USC this saturday. Only applied to 2 schools.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
david1387 wrote:
accepted with scholarship today. Applied last day of R2. Interviewed through Skype last Friday. Got results today 1 week later.

670 gmat
3.49 gpa
fp&a background

Interview with USC this saturday. Only applied to 2 schools.

Congrats, David!

I have my UCI Interview scheduled for May 1st - earliest available slot was Apr 26 when I first logged on..and only 40 slots available.

I'll have an in person interview on campus. How was the interview?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys,

Did anyone meet with the student ambassador after the interview? How did it go?
I have an interview coming up in April followed by a meeting with a 2nd year student ambassador.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Got accepted with scholarship a few days back !! and now there's a dilemma .. Uni of South Carolina - Moore vs UC Irvine vs Katz!! And Rice Uni results still awaited...With a waitlist at Babson.. Can anyone help in making the decision easier? would be appreciated..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
I had UCI Merage interview last week through skype and received a status email today, I am waitlisted by UCI Merage. I am planning to send updates to UCI Merage in next week. Any waitlisted candidate has provided updates to UCI Merage?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I received my waitlist decision 1 week after my in-person interview as well. Considering that it takes them 1 week to make a decision and they review applicants by rolling admission, I can see why they put the majority of applicants on a waitlist.

I also noticed that they added a new application deadline of June 1st - need more applicants?

Since the waitlist email didn't say anything about sending updates, I haven't done so and didn't plan to.. should I? I'll have to look into it. I'd also like to hear from someone who provided supplemental information.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I was interviewed and subsequently denied from Merage a few weeks ago, but thought I'd put in my two cents regarding the waitlist and recently added June 1 deadline:

The vibe I have been getting from Merage throughout their process is that their trying to work their way up the rankings. One easy way to "game" the formula is by boosting the stats of the incoming class. My guess is they would normally like waitlisted students to attend, but are now holding off on hopes that some higher ranking applicants rejected from elite schools use them as a fallback.

That said, from what I can tell elite MBA applicants would rather wait another year for their dream school than go for UCI, so there might be a good chance for the seemingly high number of people being waitlisted. Can't say the same for myself, considering the ding, but maybe next year!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6941 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts