Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 16:21 It is currently 03 May 2024, 16:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.91
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Does it make sense for me to have a master's before my MBA? [#permalink]
Focus primarily on being a SUPERSTAR at work, do a lot of community service, read a lot of books. Learn a new language, and live a little. Leave the master's ambition for your MBA at the school of your interest.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 380 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
You seem to be pretty articulate in your plans.Your reasoning for doing Masters at this stage is also convincing .So I don't see any reason why you shouldn't go in for a Masters in Finance before your MBA.You are only adding to your skills by doing so.

Poonam
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the input everyone! I really appreciate it.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
It shouldn't be a problem at all as long as you approach it correctly in your essays. For example, an applicant may say in their Why MBA essay "I have a masters in engineering, which enables me to understand highly technical concepts, but I need an MBA to learn finance & marketing skills to attain my goal of being a senior manager in XYZ industry."

bartthecartoon wrote:
Thanks for the input everyone! I really appreciate it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
The extra degree won't hurt you. I have a friend with a MPP from U of C and is at Booth now (and did not do a joint program). As long as you can explain why you need an MBA above the MSF you're fine. Just make sure that taking classes while working does not negatively impact your work performance, which will harm you application through poor recommendations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Analyst (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Don't make education plans based on how you think an MBA program would view it X years down the road. Focus on doing well at work, and if you find that you need the extra education and have the time, consider it later on. I'm not sure how valuable an online MSF would look anyway...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chromium73 wrote:
Don't make education plans based on how you think an MBA program would view it X years down the road. Focus on doing well at work, and if you find that you need the extra education and have the time, consider it later on. I'm not sure how valuable an online MSF would look anyway...

I appreciate your insight.

I'm not too concerned about the value being lessened by the fact that it's an online degree. Mostly because the programs I'm considering are both at good schools (Penn State and Michigan), and also because neither school makes any indication on transcript/diploma that it was completed online.

Also I find it difficult to not think about what adcoms will think years down the road. While I wouldn't pick a job based on pleasing them I might not do an MSF if it would preclude me. In my informal cost-benefit analysis, the cost of being precluded from being able to attend a top program would simply be too high to be justified by the benefits that an MSF would bring.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bartthecartoon wrote:
chromium73 wrote:

I'm not too concerned about the value being lessened by the fact that it's an online degree. Mostly because the programs I'm considering are both at good schools (Penn State and Michigan), and also because neither school makes any indication on transcript/diploma that it was completed online.

Also I find it difficult to not think about what adcoms will think years down the road. While I wouldn't pick a job based on pleasing them I might not do an MSF if it would preclude me. In my informal cost-benefit analysis, the cost of being precluded from being able to attend a top program would simply be too high to be justified by the benefits that an MSF would bring.

My understanding of the MSF degree is that it helps position you for analyst-level positions in finance. If you already have a good job and plan on doing an MBA down the road, what is the value of the MSF degree? Has your employer requested you take additional courses?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chromium73 wrote:
bartthecartoon wrote:
chromium73 wrote:

My understanding of the MSF degree is that it helps position you for analyst-level positions in finance. If you already have a good job and plan on doing an MBA down the road, what is the value of the MSF degree? Has your employer requested you take additional courses?

There are a couple of reasons that I'd like to get it. I've been thinking about moving into a corporate finance position at the same company a few years down the road, and I think the MSF would help me make my case for that. Additionally, I've been taking a lot of accounting electives throughout my time and college and think I could pass the CPA exam fairly easily. I'd like to do this while the knowledge is still fresh in my head, but to become certified (in this state) requires a year of audit experience or a graduate business degree. If I get the degree now, I can get the CPA designation in case I ever decide I want to use it.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I misunderstood your concern... I thought you were going to do an MSF degree simply to look good to adcom. In fact you are worried that it will look back to adcom. Your argument for getting the MSF makes a lot of sense to me and I can't imagine you would ever be faulted for making informed decisions made to further your career.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot