Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 06:03 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 06:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [25]
Given Kudos: 72
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 3.28
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS, INSEAD
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6048 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Re: Because of rapid technology breakthroughs in the last 20 years, many [#permalink]
B is more concise than D is that the only reason to eliminate D?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Because of rapid technology breakthroughs in the last 20 years, many [#permalink]
fozzzy wrote:
B is more concise than D is that the only reason to eliminate D?

Ya that is the primary reason,
Also in D it seems people are incorrect compared with new employees, whereas actually they themselves are the new employees
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Fraz wrote:
Peope 'that' is Wrong ... so it should be People "who"...

We are left with option B,D & E.
E : is wordy and awkwar... This leaves us with option B & D...

in D : " Who , as new employees, might " This construction is WRONG. ..... So my answer is 'B'

Can you please help me understand why D is wrong?
Manager
Manager
Status:Build your own dreams,Otherwise some one else will hire you to build there's.
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [4]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.68
Send PM
Kudos
In D "as a new employee" is a non essential modifier. Whereas in original and in B it is a essential modifier.
This sentence is important as only new employee suffered. This is also being used for the comparison.

+1Kudos.If you like :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
WE:Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Hi folks,
Nobody pointed out the once/one time difference. This was my first 3/2 split (preferring"once"). Was it a good idea or may "one time" could have been correct?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Can someone please clarify why (E) is wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Hello experts !! Can you please help me choose between option B and D?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Quote:
Because of rapid technology breakthroughs in the last 20 years, many people that might have at one time suffered as new employees from lack of remote access, multiple computer viruses, or technical glitches now enjoy flawless wireless access as veteran workers.

A) that might have at one time suffered as new employees
B) who might once have suffered as new employees
C) that as new employees might once have suffered
D) who, as new employees, might have at one time suffered
E) who, when they were new employees, might at one time have suffered

Points to note:
1. The GMAT frowns on using "that" for people. I believe it always uses "who" for people.
Reject : A and C

Read D: many people, who, as new employees, might have at one time suffered xx enjoy
Read E: many people, who, when they were new employees, might at one time have suffered xx enjoy
Read B: many people, who might once have suffered as new employees xx enjoy

After seeing the differences of D and E with B, which option do you prefer?
won't it B?
1. essential modifier is part of core sentence
2. once is better than one time
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
imSKR wrote:
Quote:
Because of rapid technology breakthroughs in the last 20 years, many people that might have at one time suffered as new employees from lack of remote access, multiple computer viruses, or technical glitches now enjoy flawless wireless access as veteran workers.

A) that might have at one time suffered as new employees
C) that as new employees might once have suffered

Points to note:
1. The GMAT frowns on using "that" for people. I believe it always uses "who" for people.
Reject : A and C

Read D: many people, who, as new employees, might have at one time suffered xx enjoy
Read E: many people, who, when they were new employees, might at one time have suffered xx enjoy
Read B: many people, who might once have suffered as new employees xx enjoy

After seeing the differences of D and E with B, which option do you prefer?
won't it B?
1. essential modifier is part of core sentence
2. once is better than one time

I don't find this convincing - still not sure why E is not correct.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
In option B it stated “once” basically quantifying it whilst in option E although little complex but talks about one time which matches the intent in the question.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Because of rapid technology breakthroughs in the last 20 years, many [#permalink]
Easily eliminate A and C because the modifier should be "who" not "that".

The second split to me comes from essential versus non-essential modifiers. The comparison is from when they were knew to when they are veterans. E is the only option that keeps it essential.

I believe both B and E are grammatically correct. I'm definitely not sure about D since it awkwardly uses a prep phrase in the middle of a helping verb and its participle. I don't know if GMAT frowns upon this.

Correct. Concise and keeps modifier essential.

Eliminate since "new employees" is a non-essential modifier and due to awkward wording with prep phrase.

I think this is grammatically correct, but lots of use of lengthy modifiers. I like B better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
"that" can also modify people, however in option B, usage of "once" can also mean that they suffered only once. However we need the construction such that, the employees suffered "on a time period as employees". That meaning is correctly conveyed in option A.
Hence A is the answer

Experts please help!
daagh
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [1]
Given Kudos: 381
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
GPA: 3.81
Send PM
Kudos
nairsk999 wrote:
"that" can also modify people, however in option B, usage of "once" can also mean that they suffered only once. However we need the construction such that, the employees suffered "on a time period as employees". That meaning is correctly conveyed in option A.
Hence A is the answer

Experts please help!
daagh

Absolutely wrong.
1. in formal writing that for people is absolutely wrong; that function is served by "who(m)/who".
2. Once means : some time in past ( not just one time) . one time literally doesn't mean more than one time. once is preferred. \
( you remember childhood poems? Once upon a time , there used to be xxx ( it means sometime in the past , there used to be) . you might never have heard in story : one time in past, there used to be xx)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Cut to the point....its between choices B and D. Both are close enough to be correct but in such scenerio we go for the simpler one wch is less wordy and without intermediate modifiers etc. Hence B.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Cut to the point....its between choices B and D. Both are close enough to be correct but in such scenerio we go for the simpler one wch is less wordy and without intermediate modifiers etc. Hence B.

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts