Last visit was: 20 May 2024, 07:19 It is currently 20 May 2024, 07:19
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Fuqua or Wharton?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.89
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.47
WE:Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (75% scholarship) vs Wharton (no money) [#permalink]
Kudos
Without a doubt, choose Wharton...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
No matter where you go to school, breaking into PE/VC will be a grind. Your odds of breaking in are likely higher coming out of Wharton than Duke but by all means are not guaranteed. I have been told by people in the business that unless you have IB or PE experience in the past, you will likely have to work in investment banking first. In that case, major firms recruit at both schools so you aren't at that big of a disadvantage at Duke vs. Penn in investment banking. While companies likely will make more offers from Wharton, you also will have more competition for interview slots.

Another consideration to have is, while you may not have to go into debt to finance your MBA, will you have the ability to wait out a year or more of unemployment searching for a PE/VC job? This is a lot easier to do with the $75k or so in scholarship money from Duke.

You obviously are a great candidate and likely won't go wrong either way. Go to the school that you feel best at and don't look back.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
Send PM
Wharton will max your ability to get into PE/VC
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
The deal is that your chance of getting PE, VC, or even your backup IM at Duke is pretty much nonexistent. I'm not trying to be dramatic about Duke's placements - I'm looking at the employment report and it shows <1% going into each of PE, VC, Asset Management, and Equity Research.

If that is the dream, then I think you have to choose Wharton. Also, you mentioned that you didn't want to do banking, but if you're not able to get PE/VC straight out of school then banking is probably your best option for breaking in a few years down the road. Wharton places much better in banking than Fuqua, which is something else to consider
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Go for Wharton if you want to be in PE/VC.

Having worked in PE, I can assure you that most PE firms have graduates from H/W/S. You will have a better chance of finding jobs through Wharton alumni and networking.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GPA: 3.89
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I really appreciate it.

Originally posted by jcswinterpark on 21 Apr 2012, 22:39.
Last edited by jcswinterpark on 26 Apr 2012, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Send PM
jcswinterpark wrote:
I want to thank everyone for there great input and also offer some feedback that might be helpful to each of you.

The decision between Fuqua (with money) vs Wharton (no money) has been real tough to make. Though I have the money to go back to school, I am very conservative by nature and I simply didn't want to pay the full price. I decided to contact Wharton financial aid and essentially ask them for scholarship/fellowship reconsideration. I was ecstatic when I received an email from Wharton financial aid telling me that they had reconsidered my application and they offered me a pretty significant fellowship.

Needless to say, this seals the deal for me.

For those of you who are in a similar situation, I encourage you to contact the school and make the request. The worst thing that will happen is that they will say no. The best.. they give you a bunch of money.

Best of luck to everyone!

That's fantastic - good for you and that's great advice! I love a happy ending.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 284 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Great to know that you got a good deal from wharton. I have been following this thread and I would have said that go to Fuqua, because they were giving you a generous financial aid offer, but then again it is very refreshing to know that Wharton has given you something also better. Congratulations.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Congratulations. Makes the choice that much easier.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Congrats! Makes the decision much easier!

jcswinterpark wrote:
I want to thank everyone for there great input and also offer some feedback that might be helpful to each of you.

The decision between Fuqua (with money) vs Wharton (no money) has been real tough to make. Though I have the money to go back to school, I am very conservative by nature and I simply didn't want to pay the full price. I decided to contact Wharton financial aid and essentially ask them for scholarship/fellowship reconsideration. I was ecstatic when I received an email from Wharton financial aid telling me that they had reconsidered my application and they offered me a pretty significant fellowship.

For those of you who are in a similar situation, I encourage you to contact the school and make the request. The worst thing that will happen is that they will say no. The best.. they give you a bunch of money.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Wharton definitely seems to align to your long term goals... the $$ will more than pay for itself in the long run... My vote is with Wharton
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools: Sloan '16 (M)
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
jcswinterpark wrote:

That is impressive, never thought it would work. So how did you preface the conversation? Was it by email or phone? Did you put all your cards on the table with the Duke offer and amount of Duke $$?

Congrats!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
H/S/W always should win over scholarship money at ANY other school, no exceptions. If you're a motivated student with clear career goals, imho there is no limit where H/S/W can take you.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Qwill wrote:
H/S/W always should win over scholarship money at ANY other school, no exceptions. If you're a motivated student with clear career goals, imho there is no limit where H/S/W can take you.

Mmmm...I wouldn't quite agree with this and W is one of my choices.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Qwill wrote:

... don't act like H/S/W is GOD.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Schools:Wharton R2 (Int), Columbia (Ding), Kellogg R2, Duke R2 (Int)
WE 1: International Development (2 years)
WE 2: Ibanking (3.5 years)
Send PM
This is a pretty silly comment, probably written by someone that doesn't get "it". Granted, I would have taken W over Duke with money but for personal reasons. To say there is no limit is just plain naive.

However, everything is situational and dependent on your goals. H/S/W do open doors that other schools do not in terms of PE/VC/HF. However there are two very important things to note. 1. Just because those opportunities do exist does not mean you will land one. They are still highly competitive. If you lack the background going in odds are you are not breaking in - so its a mute point that they options exist because the average student isn't getting in there anyway. 2. Not everyone wants the PE/VC/HF route. If you want consulting, general management, marketing, etc. You can get the exact same job at any top 10 school as H/S/W. Thus there isn't that big of a difference. Statistically the vast majority of the kids that graduate from H/S/W get the exact same jobs as kids from the other top schools.

In summary, does H/S/W have opportunities that other don't? Without question. Does the average H/S/W student place into such opportunities, no. Pick the school that is best for your specific needs taking everything into consideration but don't idolize certain institutions. If someone is going to be successful it won't be because of the school he/she went to but rather because they were solid individuals.

Qwill wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
MYCambridge wrote:
Qwill wrote:

... don't act like H/S/W is GOD.

-------------------
Yeah, W isn't H/S... there is a noticeable step down and ppl know it.

I would say other M7 (K,B,MIT,CBS) schools are a legitimate contender to compete with Wharton for the #3 spot.

Last bumped by jcswinterpark on 26 Apr 2012, 22:50.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts