Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:18 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Marketing (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Re: Need Profile evaluation for Indian/ Male/ 28/ Average [#permalink]
She is the perfect person to write the recommendation. She understands the value of an MBA and shouldn't be dinging you for your raise just because you're applying.

Some schools explicitly state NOT to have a professor write you a rec. This is a professional degree, not an academic one. Yes, it's intellectually challenging, but you need to demonstrate workplace abilities, not school smarts. 6 years is a really long time, so you should find another professional recommender.

The other thing to note is the word environment used by the previous poster. He was speaking partly to geography and partly to culture. In my opinion Wharton and Kellogg couldn't be more different. Wharton is very east coast (a meaningless phrase to you at this point, sorry...). This means that it can be more competitive, serious, and ambitious. Kellogg folks are known for being more midwestern, meaning collaborative, involved, and creative. These stereotypes may or may not be true, but it's good to get a sense. That's why if you can't visit schools, you absolutely need to talk to alumni and visit events in your area!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Machichi - That will make it really difficult but I will definitely think about getting her recommendation, along with my organization's President and Chief Investment Officer. Would you suggest that I don't go after my professors for a recommendation at all?

You are right on my knowledge on West-East coast being really low and definitely right that I should be getting in touch with Alumni- But my network exposes me to a couple of people from Harvard but none of the other schools so I'm a bit stunted here.

My own personal preference is a 'grand, visionary' schools with the reputation of it producing some of the brightest talents. (As mentioned in my original post, I've lived my entire life dreaming of HBS/ Stanford but the chances of them accepting me are really really low. In fact I gave up on my dream a couple of years ago but realized that I just could not stop myself this year from giving it one shot to change the course of the rest of my life.) Marketing being my interest area, from a cultural point of view I'd love to be at a place that encourages and perhaps even incubates creativity/ fresh thinking/ out of the box thinking and where the interest of every student is not just to achieve the highest grade or the top-10 rank, but to contribute to the world in some manner- whether social or otherwise. I welcome competition and can navigate my way through such an environment, but realize that the essence of being in a great environment is to be able to soak in all that you can while you're there and not only concentrate on academics but enjoy the team work, camaraderie and learning from different cultures/ people with different exposures. I'm also heavily into music (Play the keyboard) / sports (Cricket, football) and was into long distance running till a couple of years ago but don't think that really means anything in terms of my application.
Director
Director
Send PM
machichi wrote:
The other thing to note is the word environment used by the previous poster. He was speaking partly to geography and partly to culture. In my opinion Wharton and Kellogg couldn't be more different. Wharton is very east coast (a meaningless phrase to you at this point, sorry...). This means that it can be more competitive, serious, and ambitious. Kellogg folks are known for being more midwestern, meaning collaborative, involved, and creative. These stereotypes may or may not be true, but it's good to get a sense. That's why if you can't visit schools, you absolutely need to talk to alumni and visit events in your area!

That's exactly what I was talking about. Another example is that people say Chicago doesn't really have a campus feel because everyone lives in downtown Chicago as opposed to Hyde Park. Some people really want that campus/community feel.

Also think about how you learn best. Kellogg does everything in groups and you're even graded for your performance in groups. Harvard is a mix of case studies and traditional lecture classes, while others learn towards more case studies. Some schools have great formal leadership training programs as well to help you with soft skills, while other schools teach leadership in other ways. Also, Chicago has no core requirements which may or may not appeal to you.

Finally, you should probably look into the Partners clubs since I assume your wife will be going with you. I don't know about the Partners clubs at the schools you mention, but you might want to take a look to see how active they are, if they can help your wife find a job, etc. that might appeal to you.

If you can't speak with alums in your network, you should feel free to reach out to ones outside your network directly. I found emails of alums at companies in which I was interested and just sent blind emails. All responded to me. Or talk to current students. go to the school websites and look up club leaders or 2nd year students who are teaching assistants--the club websites are all online and the elective syllabi are usually online and list the emails. Some schools like Tuck, LBS even have student ambassadors who are there specifically to talk to prospective students. Tuck will even do the work for you and match you up with someone (I know you're not applying to Tuck, but I'm just using that as an example) after you fill out a form on their website to chat with you on phone or skype. Take advantage of this!

I understand that you may be a little nervous about contacting people directly, but I have found that people generally love their school (I will say that I don't think I've ever met students who love their school as much as Kellogg students) and are more than happy to talk. Start off by noticing something about their background like say "hey, I noticed that you organized a conference in your school. Can you tell me more about that?" Or "hey I noticed you interned at Google. how did your internship help you?" Obviously be genuine and interested. There are a million alums out there, and I'm sure you can find someone with whom you have something in common.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I forgot to mention something I didn't really keep in mind while writing on this forum. I am also a part of an entrepreneurial set up which was a one man unit since 2004 till 2006, when I joined it. We are a two man unit now, which works as a simple brand design consultancy firm.

We look at designing brand identities/ creative campaigns/ marketing brochures and other collaterals etc. We moonlight since cannot really have a legal second job but this is something I'm using as part of gaining additional, relevant design and branding experience from other industries (we work with mostly smaller firms as there is more scope to be creative/ try out ideas). Using this experience, I want to move towards my long term goal- That of starting my own design/ brand consultancy. My short term goal is just to polish my skills and get back to the corporate world but eventually I want to be in demand for being one of the foremost, leading brand strategy consultants. This is a small time operation with me playing the role of business development and getting the business in, and also helping my partner (the actual designing/ software brain) design the collateral/ strategies better.

Is this something that I should add in my application considering its really moonlighting? I'm unsure as to some it may generate a feeling of it being an unethical operation but we really work hard only to make some extra dough on the side, and make it a point to not work with any financial services brand to maintain some semblance of a Chinese wall.

Additionally, I like your advice of getting in touch directly with alumni/ current students from these colleges and asking them for their advice. Its definitely something I'm going to do. In your experience have you found any of the B-school alumni being present on these forums, especially those open to interacting with applicants?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Why cannot you not legally have a second job? It sounds very relevant. Are you making money from this venture? If so, I guess it's truly moonlighting, otherwise it's just learning new skills and stuff.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Machihi, yes we do make money from this venture. It's a small operation with 99% of the jobs being done over the phone and Internet, including consultations and reviews and reworkings on any job, if required. It's not a lot of money as without a big relevant brand and a great profile, we essentially function a a basic creative outsourcing hotshop. Over the past 6 years of doing this, we've not had an year of earning over USD10k but for me the reason to get involved win this project wasn't to really drive business or make money, but the experience itself. So while it is moonlighting, it has sort of helped me appreciate some aspects of trying to run something on my own.
One of the main reasons why I feel an MBA is critical for me is to add to my other skills (finance/operations/ strategy) while polishing my Marketing skills (which will be my prime focus area) so that I'm ready or at least sufficiently equipped in other aspects of business when I start making my move towards my long term goal - possibly starting my own brand consultancy firm.
Director
Director
Send PM
Geronimoshere wrote:

Additionally, I like your advice of getting in touch directly with alumni/ current students from these colleges and asking them for their advice. Its definitely something I'm going to do. In your experience have you found any of the B-school alumni being present on these forums, especially those open to interacting with applicants?

I have no idea about there being alums present on the forums. I would imagine there are some, but I haven't looked here. In today's information age of LinkedIn, Google, Facebook, not to mention the school's own website, it's pretty easy to find alums, and I've found that all are happy to talk about their mba experience
Director
Director
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
Geronimoshere wrote:

I have no idea about there being alums present on the forums. I would imagine there are some, but I haven't looked here. In today's information age of LinkedIn, Google, Facebook, not to mention the school's own website, it's pretty easy to find alums, and I've found that all are happy to talk about their mba experience

I just realized that there is a "Ask B-School Ambassadors" forum so you could talk with current students there: ask-b-school-ambassadors-128/
GMAT Club Bot