Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:43 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 935 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 935 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 478 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: GMAT STUDY GROUP FOR FEB 28 APPEARANTS [#permalink]
Ron has some very good videos regarding CR/RC , especially Must be true questions... Look at some of the strategies outlined in the various books regarding MBT/Inference ... You could either search for the correct answer, or look at eliminating all the choices which cannot be inferred (are not true according to the passage)..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
None of the members have posted their answer choices for the question set posted last week. I have another one ready, but will wait till the participating members finish last week's set.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi, I also want to join this study group..
How are you ll planning to go about it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
harsha88 wrote:

Welcome to the group.. If you are covering quant at the moment, you can start by attempting the question set i posted in the first page of this thread. Post your answers in a word file and i can evaluate them. We will be discussing all the questions that members find tough, or get wrong.

If you are starting off on verbal, do mention what you want to start of with and we can advise you based on our own experience.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Welcome to group :)
and as Vomhorizon already had guided for quant part.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
vomhorizon wrote:
harsha88 wrote:

Welcome to the group.. If you are covering quant at the moment, you can start by attempting the question set i posted in the first page of this thread. Post your answers in a word file and i can evaluate them. We will be discussing all the questions that members find tough, or get wrong.

If you are starting off on verbal, do mention what you want to start of with and we can advise you based on our own experience.

Thankyou.. So I have finished one round of studying. Referred to Jeff sackman, kaplan premiere and OG.
But yet stuck below 600. Was planning on doing kaplan quiz bank, Rons videos. Have problems with RC, CR and some quant chapters like cordinate goem, work rate etc. Was planning on doing both simultaneously, but more focus on finishing quant first. What material should I refer to. Is kaplan good enough? Should I do kaplan 800, and revisit the premiere etc? Also did practice from gmat prep.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
harsha88 wrote:
vomhorizon wrote:
harsha88 wrote:

Thankyou.. So I have finished one round of studying. Referred to Jeff sackman, kaplan premiere and OG.
But yet stuck below 600. Was planning on doing kaplan quiz bank, Rons videos. Have problems with RC, CR and some quant chapters like cordinate goem, work rate etc. Was planning on doing both simultaneously, but more focus on finishing quant first. What material should I refer to. Is kaplan good enough? Should I do kaplan 800, and revisit the premiere etc? Also did practice from gmat prep.

The books you have covered, although great for questions fall a bit short on content and strategy. Jeff Saksman's book although great at presenting questions similar to the GMAT falls short on a thorough review of material and strategy (it is a good book for those like me who have covered the basics once and are now reviewing everything again), and the kaplan premier is a bit too basic (still it is probably the best SINGLE BOOK to study all of the GMAT) and does not cover the tougher problems. If you are falling short on Geometry and Work,rate, you could go for the MGMAT strategy guides for the two books ( Word Problems guide, and the Geometry guide) .. That should pretty much be all the coursework and strategy you need for these topics (supplemented with question practice from OG and Jeff's book)...Kaplan 800 does include a pretty decent collection of word problems but is nothing more than a question bank, so if you are looking to review your weaker areas it will not help you much. If you are scoring above 40 in quant then do take the set i posted, it has some tricky and important word problems, if you are scoring below 40 , save it for later (do not bother to attempt it at this stage, as it will be a waste of good questions)...

Ron's videos on Co-ordinate geometry are great, especially the one where he dwells into the two approaches to solving C. Geometry DS questions (Visual approach vs algebraic approach)..

If you are having problems with RC, and CR both, the concentrate on CR to begin with, review the text book again ( which ever one you prefer) and watch Ron's videos. Logic might be tough the first time, but most do get the hang of it the second time around. If you are having specific issues with CR (specific category of questions), go ahead and post those topics, and i will present the synopsis of that area to the best of my ability ( CR is by far my favorite aspect of the entire GMAT)..Generally those that tend to be good at CR also tend to be good at RC provided they develop a strategy for STRATEGIC READING... The type of strategy that works for you may not be the one that works for me...I feel that most test takers do take notes, and the ones who are natural readers (have read all their life and enjoy reading) take less ammount of time, and write less as compared to those who are not avid readers ...Although keep in mind that FATIGUE can play spoiler to whichever strategy you may choose , as we tend to rate ourselves in RC when we are fresh, and the nastiest RC passages do tend to appear on the GMAT hours into the GMAT..so whichever strategy you choose, practice the RC's towards the back end of a 2 hour session of prep. or after say 50 quant questions or so , to get a more realistic view of your accuracy...Above all, ENJOY the passage, and if it is BORING, treat it as a BORING LECTURE in class , and start to take notes as you used to in class .. Even the worst passages in RC can be made simpler if you take notes .. Sure taking DETAILED notes may take 1-2 minutes longer, but that could mean getting 4 on 5 correct vs 2 on 5 correct....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ron's Video is excellent for RC and CR
Go through Ron video , when your mind is fresh because long video someone may find boring but tis totally worth it but go through these once and apply those strategy on 10 to 20 passage in a row.
Suppose you went through main idea video apply those strategy on those passages.
These will help you to assimilate concept properly in your mind.
Then go ahead with next video.
Also take snapshot of those slides to review later on.
As Vomhorizon had already said strategy can work differently for different people.
But try ron video..
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Sloan '16
Send PM
Hi vomhorizon,
Thanks for posting question (the 1st Set), good refresher
I am done with all 37 question, guessed a few
Will you post the Answer options
Regards.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
smalhotra9 wrote:
Hi vomhorizon,
Thanks for posting question (the 1st Set), good refresher
I am done with all 37 question, guessed a few
Will you post the Answer options
Regards.

Post your answer choices in a word file, and i will give you your score. Later once everyone is done with the set we can put up the answers here and then workout solutions for the problems that members find hard.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Just an update on my progress.. I took a GMAT PREP CAT today, a full month after my round 2 had begun ... I scored a 720 ( Q45 , V 44) .. I am extremely happy with my current score at a practice exam (and since this is GMAT PREP it best simulates the official thing) although i have only made a 1 point improvement in my quant from a month ago :-( .... where i scored a 630 ... My next target is to maintain my Verbal level ( basically practice about a few dozen questions on SC , CR and a few RC passages every day) and move closer towards the 80th percentile mark in quant...Will be taking the MGMAT diagnostic CAT, and the Veritas Prep CAT 1 next to asses my level.

I will also now start to take some of the GMAT CLUB tests, not as much for the scoring aspect of it, but for the Questions and their solutions..
Attachments

Screen Shot 2012-12-23 at 1.44.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-12-23 at 1.44.35 PM.png [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 3105 times ]

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Took the last GMAT PREP Practice CAT, and scored a 700 ( Q47, V39). I am satisfied at my overall prep level, and now need to concentrate on Polishing certain aspects (RC , Strategic-reading for example) and fine tuning my test taking strategy and beginning IR and essay. I will still be posting more practice sets for those interested.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I have just finished Charting out the plan for my Round 3 and Round 4 of studying. Those that wish to join are welcomed.

Round 3 :

R3 will be divided into two portions, One for the CONCEPT and the other for practice:

Quant: Review concepts in areas that need more work :

1) Geometry : Review the strategy Guide (MGMAT) and its associated questions, Plus do the questions from the Jeff Saksmann Total Gmat math. Purchase and do the questions from the MGMAT Question set of Geometry
2) Probability , P & C : Review the MGMAT strategy guide and its associated questions, JS TGM book, Review my High school book on probability ( Class XI CBSE Book for those that have done their high schooling from india)
3) Co-ordinate Geometry, Line equations
4) Inequalities : Review from the MGMAT strategy guide

PRACTICE :

In the second part my prep will look like this :

1) Practice the Last 40 DS Questions from the OG (13 and OG quant)
2) Practice the Last 40 DS Questions from the Veritas Prep DS Book
3) Practice my ERROR LOG from the OG (13 and QUANT) , All VP books (Adv Word problems, DS ) and Advanced MGMAT Quant
4) Start working on the GMAT Paper Tests ( try to do a 100 or so questions from them)

Total questions that i will practice should be around 240-260, and i will be spreading them over the entire period of my review of concepts ( so after the concept part is done, i will sit and do 20 or so practice questions from the EL)

VERBAL:

RC: Read the MGMAT RC book for the second time
SC: Keep on reviewing the E-GMAT SC course
CR : Re read my notes and book highlights from the LSAT CR Bible

Practice:

RC : Purchase the MGMAT RC questions (if they are available)
SC : Practice the last 40 questions from the OG 13 , and the brutal 70 question set downloaded from this forum in addition to E-GMAT DRILLS
CR : Last 30 OG CR problems, in addition to the CR problems on this forum

Total Duration : 15-20 Days ( Have allready started on it , but will begin in all Ernest from the 1st of January)

IR

Concept : Read the MGMAT IR strategy Guide

Practice: Practice OG IR Questions

Round 4

Round 4 will be dedicated to tests and CAT's . I will be doing 2-3 Practice CAT's per week and reviewing them , PLUS the Dreaded GMAT CLUB tests (as many as i can take)

The Cat's that i have with me include

- 6 MGMAT Cat's
6 Veritas Prep CAT's
- Re take the GMAT PREP 2 for the second time around a week before G-Day

ALL GMAT Club tests ..

I will be looking at a minimum of 10 CAT's including the Gmat prep so around 6 MGMAT tests and 2-3 VP tests .. Will be looking at the tests as sources of Adaptive questions, for timing and analysis , would not bother on the score for any of these tests other then the GMAT PREP test.

Duration : 25 days ...

Hope to finish both Round 3 and Round 4 by the Second week of Feb (will have to move fast ) and will look to take the test around the middle of Feb .

TARGET : My GMAT PREP Test scores so far are :

GMAT PREP 1 ( Taken in Nov. 2013) : 630 (Before i began my Round 2)
GMAT PREP 1 ( Taken in Dec. 2013) : 720 (Q45 V44)
GMAT PREP 2 (Taken in Dec 2013) : 700 (Q47 V39)

My target is to take my Quant score to as close to 80 Percentile as possible, through review and practice of my weaker areas, as well as taking CAT's and analyzing them. For verbal i would like to be positioned between my two scores of 39 and 44 , and therefore need consistency and to become better at time management.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2