Last visit was: 22 May 2024, 21:57 It is currently 22 May 2024, 21:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
INSEAD,    Yale,    
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Completed all CFA exams
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V39
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 199 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: INSEAD vs Yale SOM: Decide my fate! [#permalink]
thebschoollife wrote:
Sorry to bring up this topic again.

My "first world problem" seems to be have gotten a bit more muddled! I had settled on matriculating at Yale, however, have also been offered admission at Duke, which I loved as well.

Both Yale and Duke seem like great fits - I felt positive vibes from both places.

Are they both a wash? Would appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

Congrats. I actually think this is pretty simple. What do you want to do more: consulting or IM?

IM -> Yale SOM
Consulting -> Fuqua
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
PD2012 wrote:
Great question!

Unfortunately, aside from classmates telling me about their interviews, I have 0 experience on that front.

Even though Super Week is right around the corner, hopefully another SOM'er (like MAJMMM) that's on that track can chime in to help.

-B

Shawshank wrote:

Any idea how Yale does in trading, investment management, hedge funds?

Yale SOM just posted about Super Week -- it all sounds positive (it is coming from adcom/PR after all!), but hopefully MAJMMM and others can speak to their experiences!

JANUARY 11, 2013
A Look at SuperWeek Recruiting

While most students were relishing the last week of winter break, some were already back on campus, interviewing for coveted summer finance internships. At the height of SuperWeek, January 2-11, the CDO reception area was filled with first-year MBA students sporting business suits and waiting for their chance to talk with interviewers from major investment banks.

A record 11 banks took part this year, according to Lloyd Baskin, the relationship manager responsible for financial services at the CDO. In addition to the prestigious firms that return each year for SuperWeek—Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley, and Credit Suisse among them—Yale SOM welcomed two new banks this year: Perella Weinberg Partners and Peter J. Solomon Company.

Halfway through the week, the internship offers had started rolling in…

https://blogs.som.yale.edu/2013/01/a-loo ... ecruiting/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
so decided to go with Yale over INSEAD. Real pumped about SOM!

Originally posted by thebschoollife on 15 Feb 2013, 18:21.
Last edited by thebschoollife on 17 Feb 2013, 07:46, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
thebschoollife wrote:
so decided to get with Yale over INSEAD. Real pumped about SOM!

Yay! We're shaping up to be a stellar class! Congrats on your decision!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Nice job you two, see you tomorrow or next weekend? I live at 360, so I will be in and out of the event (I reserved the theater to watch the all star game :) )
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
thebschoollife wrote:
so decided to go with Yale over INSEAD. Real pumped about SOM!

Congrats!!! What made you finally choose Yale?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
I think at the end of the day remaining in the US market vs going overseas. Furthermore, I was reading that while job placements for INSEAD grads are great - I had a couple of concerns. Firstly, as someone already mentioned the data is heavily skewed by a large number of candidates who are returning to their MBB employers, not too mention that on average INSEAD grads have more experience to begin with. INSEAD does send a lot of grads to MBB, but INSEAD is pumping out about 1000 grads a year - 5 times that of Yale.

I think the bigger concern was that apparently for non-EU citizens its becoming increasingly difficult to get a job in Europe - compound that with needing local language skills in places such as France or Spain - and you are looking at a very small market for job placement - mostly London, Dubai, Singapore, etc - which then becomes highly competitive.

Money is not a huge motivating factor for me, but its really interesting that if you look at the latest FT rankings - the average salary for Yale grads is higher than INSEAD after 3 years.

Having said all that I really liked Yale SOM. All my interaction with alumni, students, faculty, etc have been fantastic. There was a real buzz and the students seemed to really be enthusiastic about the school (I should mention that I felt a similar buzz at Duke). I have been reading a lot of what Dean Snyder's been saying and doing, and the direction the school is headed in. I - think its a great time to be at Yale with these changes - not to mention moving into the brand new campus in Jan 2014! So yeah pumped about Yale SOM!

Either way, I think I couldn't have gone wrong with either one of these schools - so it was a nice problem while it lasted! Good luck on your INSEAD journey!

Originally posted by thebschoollife on 24 Feb 2013, 08:29.
Last edited by thebschoollife on 24 Feb 2013, 12:35, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [3]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
machichi wrote:
thebschoollife wrote:

Absolutely. All I see around is: I've dumped X for Yale, I've declined Y for Yale or I withdrew from A-Z because I got into Yale.

Congratulations to all of you for converting SOM into a mini GC.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:
machichi wrote:
thebschoollife wrote:

Absolutely. All I see around is: I've dumped X for Yale, I've declined Y for Yale or I withdrew from A-Z because I got into Yale.

Congratulations to all of you for converting SOM into a mini GC.

Seriously. Yale is doing very well among cross-admits. Congrats again on your decision!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
I visted SOM last year and I was VERY impressed. The quality of its students, faculty, ... impressive!!!

IMO there are three schools in the world that are taking massive steps towards becoming ultra-elite business schools (M7+Insead+LBS) and these are Yale, Tuck and Oxford.

Congrats on your decision!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Kudos
Totally late to the party here, but I was browsing the forums and came across this gem. Great discussion, and I'm glad that the poster decided on Yale!

Even though it isn't relevant to the current poster, I wanted to post in case it might help some future applicants. I currently work in investment management at one of the BBs, and wanted to address the questions about career prospects.

First, I think there is a misconception among some posters that you need an M7 MBA to get into IM. Not. True. The fact that it's hard to recruit for IM from any top school (M7 or otherwise) is largely a reflection of the fact that these jobs don't generally require MBAs at all and have low turnover. People like their jobs for the most part, so they don't leave. If they do get MBAs, they often do part-time programs. That's my experience, anyhow. It may differ between equity research, private wealth, institutional asset management, etc. and may also depend on the firm to some extent.

I will say that an MBA can definitely improve your chances, as can a CFA (or CFP for the private wealth route). Regardless, you will need to network well. These jobs don't usually need to go out and formally recruit on their own, and do a lot of hiring through referrals.

As for IM at SOM specifically, I was able to chat with a rep from the IM club and got some color on this area, too. While IM isn't Yale's strongest recruiting area (certainly not as strong as IB, for instance), it sounded like this mainly came down to reasons stated above, and less due to the resources the school offers. In fact, the guy I spoke with had an internship in equity research and due to Yale's location, he was able to maintain this job on a part-time basis (it was in NYC) throughout his second year. This student had to actively network to get his position, but he wasn't an anamoly. It's also worth noting that Yale alums run the endowments at Yale, Harvard, and Princeton.

Suffice to say, relative to the IM MBA recruiting scene as a whole, I don't think Yale is doing half-bad.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts