Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 09:03 It is currently 04 May 2024, 09:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [6]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
kawasaki wrote:
Feel like a million bucks right now!

@kawasaki, you deserve it- congrats! Around this time last year, you wrote on the Consortium thread that you had an acceptance without scholarship dollars and were debating matriculating or holding out a year. Speaking from personal experience, I also made that hard choice last cycle and too was rewarded this year with full tuition scholarship dollars as well.

Good going to everybody getting a Consortium Fellowship! And, for those of you who didn't get a full-tuition scholarship anywhere, but know in your heart your worth more than just a mere acceptance letter-- you probably are! Hold on to hope for the future, because people of good character and persistence with the courage to hold out do get rewarded!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GPA: 3.51
Send PM
I'd love to know if there are any other UNC accepted students on this thread. Today is the official decision day. I got a call Friday but really need to see the computer screen say YES to believe it. I know I can't be the only one turning baby blue. :) Are you going to Experience Weekend? I need to decide where to stay or if I need a roommate for those days.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:Corporate Finance (Transportation)
Send PM
Why hasn't Darden called fellows? The wait is killing me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Has anyone heard about consortium fellowships from Stern?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
danjohn4real wrote:

I guess we are going to have to wait until Wednesday. I don't know why they take so long.....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
WE:Corporate Finance (Real Estate)
Send PM
rhernan15 wrote:
danjohn4real wrote:

I guess we are going to have to wait until Wednesday. I don't know why they take so long.....

Pretty sure they call admits day before official notification day (hopefully that applies to CGSM applicants too), so lets hope for tomorrow...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bftw wrote:
rhernan15 wrote:
danjohn4real wrote:

Pretty sure they call admits day before official notification day (hopefully that applies to CGSM applicants too), so lets hope for tomorrow...

It's my last hope for Consortium, I ranked them 2nd and was waitlisted at Tuck (my first choice). Didn't get a call from Consortium schools I was admitted to, so hoping for the best.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rhernan15 wrote:
rhernan15 wrote:
danjohn4real wrote:

It's my last hope for Consortium, I ranked them 2nd and was waitlisted at Tuck (my first choice). Didn't get a call from Consortium schools I was admitted to, so hoping for the best.

I'm in a similar boat, would love a fellowship from Darden...otherwise heading to Fuqua.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
urarunner2 wrote:
NYU is a better school in my opinion but I really love the Yale community and the new building is really attractive. NYU has a stronger alumni base and since I live in Brooklyn, I wouldn't have to move. Finally Yale didn't offer anything close to a full fellowship.

In terms of Columbia, they are don't give much money, they are falling int he rankings, and since I would specialize in finance and NYU is better than Columbia in finance (don't believe the Columbia hype), NYU might be too hard to pass down. But the brand name is still attractive. Lets hope I have the opportunity to make that decision.

I think that the general perception out there is that Columbia is better than NYU in finance. I havent studied both programs but I am going off what I have seen on a couple of forums. From what I hear, NYU is good for people who are targeting investment banking. However, Columbia is a better for people who are looking for buyside opportunities (Private Equity, Hedge Funds etc).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
danjohn4real wrote:
urarunner2 wrote:
NYU is a better school in my opinion but I really love the Yale community and the new building is really attractive. NYU has a stronger alumni base and since I live in Brooklyn, I wouldn't have to move. Finally Yale didn't offer anything close to a full fellowship.

In terms of Columbia, they are don't give much money, they are falling int he rankings, and since I would specialize in finance and NYU is better than Columbia in finance (don't believe the Columbia hype), NYU might be too hard to pass down. But the brand name is still attractive. Lets hope I have the opportunity to make that decision.

I think that the general perception out there is that Columbia is better than NYU in finance. I havent studied both programs but I am going off what I have seen on a couple of forums. From what I hear, NYU is good for people who are targeting investment banking. However, Columbia is a better for people who are looking for buyside opportunities (Private Equity, Hedge Funds etc).

Columbia probably is stronger when it comes to the buy side but since I have no banking experience, I need to start on the sell side and then make the transition. Also when I look at the available courses, NYU courses more than double Columbia's. Idk if I believe the thinking that Columbia is overall stronger than NYU in finance. The value investing program is amazing but you have to apply to that, so most students don't have the opportunity to take it.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter as much as we think it does - each school places very well and you have a first class ticket to a banking career.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
urarunner2 wrote:
danjohn4real wrote:
urarunner2 wrote:

Columbia probably is stronger when it comes to the buy side but since I have no banking experience, I need to start on the sell side and then make the transition. Also when I look at the available courses, NYU courses more than double Columbia's. Idk if I believe the thinking that Columbia is overall stronger than NYU in finance. The value investing program is amazing but you have to apply to that, so most students don't have the opportunity to take it.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter as much as we think it does - each school places very well and you have a first class ticket to a banking career.

The difference between NYU and Columbia is marginal at best. Columbia has a stronger name being an IVY but NYU also has a strong brand. In addition, due to NYU's PT program the amount of available finance courses at NYU far exceeds the amount available at Columbia. In my opinion, it comes down to ROI. You're making practically the same coming out of both schools; however, NYU offers more financial aid both through Consortium and outside of it as well. Having to take out ~110k less of unsubsidized loans at 7-8% is huge. You'll essentially be playing catch-up the entire time to pay it back with such high interest rates on grad school loans, unsubsidized so they start accruing interest as soon as you receive the loan and then factor in you're now in a higher tax bracket -- above ~87k and later above ~183k which will also slow the process down.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
GPA: 3.45
Send PM
Kudos
Hello Everyone! This is my first time posting, but I have been following this thread for a long time. Congrats to all of those who have been admitted and offered fellowships! I'm jelaous in a good way. :)
I applied to Stern and Yale through the Consortium. Got into Stern, waitlisted at Yale. Waiting for fellowship notifications this week. Keeping my fingers crossed....the wait is killing me! It seems Stern hasn't started to make calls yet. I called the Consortium this morning. They said that they will be sending out some of the notifications starting tomorrow (Tuesday) by e-mail and snail mail. They said that the notifications for some people might take longer depending on the school and on the status of each person (waitlisted folks). So, the waiting continues for some of us... hopefully the news will be worth the wait.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
2013MBAhopeful wrote:
Hello Everyone! This is my first time posting, but I have been following this thread for a long time. Congrats to all of those who have been admitted and offered fellowships! I'm jelaous in a good way. :)
I applied to Stern and Yale through the Consortium. Got into Stern, waitlisted at Yale. Waiting for fellowship notifications this week. Keeping my fingers crossed....the wait is killing me! It seems Stern hasn't started to make calls yet. I called the Consortium this morning. They said that they will be sending out some of the notifications starting tomorrow (Tuesday) by e-mail and snail mail. They said that the notifications for some people might take longer depending on the school and on the status of each person (waitlisted folks). So, the waiting continues for some of us... hopefully the news will be worth the wait.

Thanks for the update. Are you sure they would be emailing? They told me they were gonna send it out via snail mail. I guess I have to sit in front of my computer and press F5 all day tomorrow.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Just got a call from Darden! Got the Consortium!!!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rhernan15 wrote:

Same!
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Send PM
rhernan15 wrote:

CONGRATS!!!

Haas ===== Calls started 3/12
UCLA ===== Calls started 3/15
Tepper ===== Calls started 3/12
Johnson ===== Calls started 3/12
Tuck ===== Calls started 3/15
Goizueta ===== Calls started 3/15
Kelley ===== Calls started 3/12
Ross ===== Calls started 3/13
UNC =====
Simon =====
Marshall =====
Darden ===== Calls started 3/18
Olin =====
Wisconsin =====
Yale ===== Calls started 3/13
McCombs ===== Calls started 3/14
Stern =====
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GPA: 3.2
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
So I heard back from both of my Consortium schools. Admits with scholarships, but no fellowships.

Originally posted by DMNY31 on 18 Mar 2013, 15:40.
Last edited by DMNY31 on 26 Mar 2013, 08:59, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49   50   51  ...  56   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts