Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 01:48 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 01:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 105 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Nationality: Indian
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: To (All) schools that rejected me [#permalink]
"To those claiming that I am bitter—you bet I am! An underachieving selfish teenager making excuses for her own failures?"

hard to equate a high schooler's frustrations with blaming external factors for not getting into the program you wanted
Current Student
Send PM
^Maybe you need to get a life dude? And a sense of humor?

And while you're at it, some RC skills. I'm very happy with my admits. Thankyouverymuch.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
I think obnoxious brat is the only description that comes to my mind. If I were her parents I would be incredibly embarrassed.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
"As the youngest of four daughters, I noticed long ago that my parents gave up on parenting me."

I'm not sure if she is trying to be funny with this, but it's just flat-out disrespectful!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I don't know guys, I think this is meant to be a joke, and I myself though it was pretty funny. Although she's obviously exaggerating, unfortunately getting into the top colleges is getting harder and harder. Being a well rounded kid with good grades just doesn't cut it anymore. Whether kids are brats for expecting to get into college after being good students and having just regular extracurriculars, I don't know. But it does bum me out that kids as young as 12 are already worried about college admissions. At that age I knew I'd eventually go to college but wasn't in the slightest concerned about where I would go. Things just keep getting more and more competitive. Kids should pursue hobbies they are interested in, not ones for the sole purpose of it looking good on a college application.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
IndigoIntentions wrote:
^Maybe you need to get a life dude? And a sense of humor?

And while you're at it, some RC skills. I'm very happy with my admits. Thankyouverymuch.

Wasn't referring to you here, was referring to the person who wrote that blurb.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Dakells wrote:
I don't know guys, I think this is meant to be a joke, and I myself though it was pretty funny. Although she's obviously exaggerating, unfortunately getting into the top colleges is getting harder and harder. Being a well rounded kid with good grades just doesn't cut it anymore. Whether kids are brats for expecting to get into college after being good students and having just regular extracurriculars, I don't know. But it does bum me out that kids as young as 12 are already worried about college admissions. At that age I knew I'd eventually go to college but wasn't in the slightest concerned about where I would go. Things just keep getting more and more competitive. Kids should pursue hobbies they are interested in, not ones for the sole purpose of it looking good on a college application.

Agreed, while I protest the tone / venue of her letter, I think it brings up a very real and very serious issue that is becoming more and more prevalent. What do kids have to do to get into college?

I had the benefit of playing soccer very competitively from age 5 through college - including a year as starter for my high school's soccer team which was nationally ranked. You bet my essays were focused on my 'years of teamwork' and my 'experience in high pressure circumstances' and my 'dedication and determination that only years of training towards excellence can foster and exemplify'.

Without my soccer experience I never would have got into the schools I did, and that was 10 years ago - things have become so much more competitive since then.

I dread having kids because I don't want to have to worry that if they're not fluent in Mandarin by 3 then they're already behind. That if they don't get into the best kindergarten they'll never get into college. That type of thing. I'm sure I'm blowing it out of proportion, but it's getting crazy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V48
GPA: 3.23
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
While the op-ed might seem whiny to some (I thought it was fairly tongue-in-cheek), I really don't find its sentiment controversial - "just being yourself" does not maximize your chances of getting into a school. It never has. It's kind of like using admissions consultants - most schools will tell you not to do it, but people do anyways, and sometimes get into a school they otherwise would not have.
Current Student
Send PM
jko wrote:
Dakells wrote:

Agreed, while I protest the tone / venue of her letter, I think it brings up a very real and very serious issue that is becoming more and more prevalent. What do kids have to do to get into college?

I had the benefit of playing soccer very competitively from age 5 through college - including a year as starter for my high school's soccer team which was nationally ranked. You bet my essays were focused on my 'years of teamwork' and my 'experience in high pressure circumstances' and my 'dedication and determination that only years of training towards excellence can foster and exemplify'.

Without my soccer experience I never would have got into the schools I did, and that was 10 years ago - things have become so much more competitive since then.

I dread having kids because I don't want to have to worry that if they're not fluent in Mandarin by 3 then they're already behind. That if they don't get into the best kindergarten they'll never get into college. That type of thing. I'm sure I'm blowing it out of proportion, but it's getting crazy.

Agree with you jko. As I understood the article, she is also complaining about how things that the student can't control - i.e. upbringing and demographics - have a big impact on admissions (sometimes almost veto-like).
GMAT Club Bot