Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 18:01 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 18:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
kschmidt1801 wrote:
kasonhills wrote:
anyone know anything about greystar red river flats? Its just to the west of I35 and about a miile south of campus. Pretty close to downtown.

Anyone got any feedback on this? I'm looking at the building too, but I'm concerned about the immediate area. I want something that's walkable to restaurants / food trucks and in a decent area. I Google Street Viewed the area and it seemed to be a lot of parking lots and empty buildings, but I don't know how old the pics are.

Any advice from locals?

I actually called them and talked to someone who works in the Red River Flats office, he is also a student at UT. He said its an easy walk to many places. Rainy Street is about a 15 minute walk. 6th street, which is considered the main area for nightlife is only a few blocks south, handlebar (a bar we went to during preview weekend on 5th street) is only a 10 minute walk.. Campus is about a 20 minute walk. He also said there are 3 music venues right next door. Stubbs is to the south, and one called Mohawk is just to the east. There is another one he mentioned that I can't remember the name of, but its right there as well.

Anyway, I'm still looking but I'm really leaning towards Red River right now.

But yeah if any locals could chime in I'd appreciate it too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Consulting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Just wanted to leave a quick note for all the incoming/potential McCombs Students - I have decided to attend another program which hopefully means not just a spot in the class but some recruiting scholarship money goes to one or several lucky individuals! I wish you all the best and am a bit jealous you all will be in Austin the next two years, best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
When is everyone moving to Austin? And secondly, is anyone doing the MAP stuff? I didn't sign up for the week long ones but I'll probably do the day trips.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
kasonhills wrote:
When is everyone moving to Austin? And secondly, is anyone doing the MAP stuff? I didn't sign up for the week long ones but I'll probably do the day trips.

I'm looking at July 7th-9th. I didn't sign up for the MAP stuff, because it doesn't quite seem fair to go on a vacation without my partner. Might do one of the day things.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Is anybody out there applying for the part time DFW program? Know about the kind of students they accept?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GRE 1: Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
azwe wrote:
Is anybody out there applying for the part time DFW program? Know about the kind of students they accept?

I attended an info session a while back. Seems to take all kinds... not sure what you're asking in particular.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jiggedyjared wrote:
azwe wrote:

I attended an info session a while back. Seems to take all kinds... not sure what you're asking in particular.

Well, I mean more academically. I don't have the greatest GPA but my GMAT score is 730. Know anything about their acceptance rate?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GRE 1: Q760 V670
GPA: 3.47
WE:Analyst (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
It's not nearly as selective as the full time program. As with everything, it depends, though. If you had a 4.0 and scored a 730, but have been a cashier at McDonalds since graduating, you'll have trouble getting in. Then again, if you founded Google, I bet they'd let you in with just about any GPA/GMAT combination.

Assuming your experience is fairly... normal... you'd have a real good shot at 3.0+ and a slim chance at 2.7 - 3.0. Anything below 2.69, and you'd have to have fairly outstanding experience.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jiggedyjared wrote:
It's not nearly as selective as the full time program. As with everything, it depends, though. If you had a 4.0 and scored a 730, but have been a cashier at McDonalds since graduating, you'll have trouble getting in. Then again, if you founded Google, I bet they'd let you in with just about any GPA/GMAT combination.

Assuming your experience is fairly... normal... you'd have a real good shot at 3.0+ and a slim chance at 2.7 - 3.0. Anything below 2.69, and you'd have to have fairly outstanding experience.

Is it a negative to be in a healthcare field rather than a finance/accounting field?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
GMAT 1: 780 Q49 V50
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
azwe wrote:
jiggedyjared wrote:

Is it a negative to be in a healthcare field rather than a finance/accounting field?

No it isn't. In fact it might be a benefit, as schools like diversity in experience. Jared is right, it's more about how 'good' your job is. If you are doing something that any knucklehead could be doing with just a GED then you'll have a very hard time getting into a good program. If you are doing a job that is selective, and at least on par with your degree then it really doesn't matter what field you are in. Of course the more selective your job, and the more leadership experience you have, the better it will be regarded. What kind of role are you in?

By the way I just checked on US News, and the PT program doesn't seem too competitive. They accept around 73% of applicants, the average GPA is 3.34, the middle 80% is 2.85 - 3.78 and the average GMAT is only 643. If your GPA is within that range and you have decent work experience, you should have a very good shot. 730 is an excellent GMAT so that will go a long ways.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
azwe wrote:
jiggedyjared wrote:

No it isn't. In fact it might be a benefit, as schools like diversity in experience. Jared is right, it's more about how 'good' your job is. If you are doing something that any knucklehead could be doing with just a GED then you'll have a very hard time getting into a good program. If you are doing a job that is selective, and at least on par with your degree then it really doesn't matter what field you are in. Of course the more selective your job, and the more leadership experience you have, the better it will be regarded. What kind of role are you in?

By the way I just checked on US News, and the PT program doesn't seem too competitive. They accept around 73% of applicants, the average GPA is 3.34, the middle 80% is 2.85 - 3.78 and the average GMAT is only 643. If your GPA is within that range and you have decent work experience, you should have a very good shot. 730 is an excellent GMAT so that will go a long ways.

I'm a pharmacist with leadership experience in a major healthcare organization
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Interesting, well I'm assuming you are looking to do something new? The application is about putting together a good explanation of why you need an MBA, and how it will help you accomplish your goals. All I know about being a pharmacist is that it involves counting pills. I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it requires a great deal of problem solving, and if that is the case, you'll really want to focus on the skills you've gained in your leadership capacity as you write your essays.

Also, if you are looking to change careers don't make it sound like you're burnt out and the MBA is your way out. Rather, talk about how you plan to build on what you've learned as a pharmacist to transition into something new.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes it will be about showing why you need an MBA. But I feel that you should get into the PT program based on your GMAT and work experience.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
azwe wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:
azwe wrote:

I'm a pharmacist with leadership experience in a major healthcare organization

Also sir, out of curiosity. Have you considered the full time program? Your GMAT is pretty high so thats why I ask.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rjdunn03 wrote:
Interesting, well I'm assuming you are looking to do something new? The application is about putting together a good explanation of why you need an MBA, and how it will help you accomplish your goals. All I know about being a pharmacist is that it involves counting pills. I may be wrong, but it doesn't seem like it requires a great deal of problem solving, and if that is the case, you'll really want to focus on the skills you've gained in your leadership capacity as you write your essays.

Also, if you are looking to change careers don't make it sound like you're burnt out and the MBA is your way out. Rather, talk about how you plan to build on what you've learned as a pharmacist to transition into something new.

Being a pharmacist is all about problem solving and way more than just counting pills. Most pharmacists would be insulted by your observation but I understand where you're coming from as someone who once thought the same so I take no offense. I'm not looking for something new but to advance the direction pharmacy is heading, it requires people like myself with an MBA from a good program.

Quote:
Also sir, out of curiosity. Have you considered the full time program? Your GMAT is pretty high so thats why I ask.

I have but I would be losing a lot of income going that route.

I really appreciate all of your responses! You all have been very helpful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Send PM
azwe wrote:
rjdunn03 wrote:

Being a pharmacist is all about problem solving and way more than just counting pills. Most pharmacists would be insulted by your observation but I understand where you're coming from as someone who once thought the same so I take no offense. I'm not looking for something new but to advance the direction pharmacy is heading, it requires people like myself with an MBA from a good program.

Hey i didn't mean to offend. I'm saying that that is all I know of it, and it's likely that many in the admissions committees will only have the same vague understanding. So just be sure to explain to them the problem solving you do and also the leadership experiences that you've had.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V45
Send PM
My brother in law is a pharmacist. Most of what pharmacists do is measure and count out pills. So the standard work of a pharmacist is cut and dry, doesn't require problem solving or creativity. Rather, they follow a set of protocols in filling prescriptions and advising both doctors and clients on dosing and usage. Again, that doesn't leave much room for analysis. However, if aswe has management over the pharmacy as well, then he may make business decisions as well. So that is where an MBA will come into use.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  39   40   41   42   43   44   45   46   47   48   49   50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts