Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 09:21 It is currently 03 May 2024, 09:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Andersonx   Boothx   
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72997 [0]
Given Kudos: 18906
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: Last minute change: Booth (admitted) vs Anderson (wl)? [#permalink]
I imagine for most people that this isn't even a discussion, unless your family business is critically important for your career path (and assuming you can't stay involved if you're at Booth).

What makes Anderson so special that you'd entertain this quasi-offer?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yea you're right. It IS a quasi-offer haha. My family business is a possible option when I want to settle down and it's a good fall back in case recruiting doesn't work out. I also went to UCLA for undergrad haha. And my SO of 4 years will be starting the PT mba there this fall....

Wow you guys have really good insight.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [2]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
lfa wrote:
Yea you're right. It IS a quasi-offer haha. My family business is a possible option when I want to settle down and it's a good fall back in case recruiting doesn't work out. I also went to UCLA for undergrad haha. And my SO of 4 years will be starting the PT mba there this fall....

Gotcha, that completely changes things lol.

I know if it were my wife in your SO's shoes, I'd go for Anderson to be in the same location (ie, Booth's value over Anderson isn't more important than seeing her every day). Surprised to find myself completely reversing my previous stance haha.

But, obviously, this is really, REALLY up to you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Blax0r wrote:
lfa wrote:

Gotcha, that completely changes things lol.

I know if it were my wife in your SO's shoes, I'd go for Anderson to be in the same location (ie, Booth's value over Anderson isn't more important than seeing her every day). Surprised to find myself completely reversing my previous stance haha.

But, obviously, this is really, REALLY up to you.

WHOA ok I just got admitted. I did not expect this...ok NOW it's up to me =]

Thanks for your feedback everybody!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V44
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Living in westwood is pretty awesome....

chicago is... well, it's chicago.

A University's reputation is a big deal that you carry with you for the rest of your life... but if you end up finding your spouse while you're in grad school (which is extremely common) then would you rather be with someone from Westwood or chicago? ;)

that being said, chicago is def. the better program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Re: Last minute: Booth admitted R1 vs Anderson admitted 7/12? [#permalink]
lfa wrote:
I was admitted to Booth R1, paid my deposits, went to admit weekend, went to all the Booth events, signed up for everything. I'm pretty much enrolled and about to start figuring out how to bid for classes when all of sudden 2 days ago I was called by Anderson. I've been on the waitlist since round 1 and they've emailed me several times asking if I wanted to continue waiting. I was caught off guard when they called but they pretty much asked if I were to be admitted, would I accept and pay deposit in a short time frame. They also said that I was on a short list of candidates. I told them I had always loved Anderson and it would make sense to stay in SoCal since my family business is here but I would still need to reconsider everything bc I didn't have any mental preparation for all these sudden changes. I was given a cell phone number so I feel like I could call back to strengthen/reiterate my position before they send out decisions next week. Should I do/consider it?

I'm interested in pursuing marketing/tech/entrepreneurship. I have some experience in marketing so I would have a good shot at that. Tech not so much but experienced at social media. Entrepreneurship flows in my veins.

ucla seems like a great fit and if u dont mind staying in socal, which it doesnt sound like you do, id def go there given all the personal factors and the family business there
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Meh lived in Westwood for 4 years...been there, done that. Traffic stresses me out and the low standard of living in the Westwood apartments makes me sad.

In other news, apparently there aren't too many school resources to help you decide with just a week left. Get those high GMAT scores and apply early to kids, so this doesn't happen to you!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
A big reason why I didn't apply to booth was because of its location. I didn't want to commute by bus from the loop to Hyde park especially in the terrible weather. Ymmv, although you are probably taking la for granted since you've lived there before.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts