Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 07:58 It is currently 05 May 2024, 07:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
Own Kudos [?]: 2278 [18]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73042 [1]
Given Kudos: 18907
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 510 Q29 V31
GMAT 2: 590 Q32 V38
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Free Peer Essay Review Initiative [#permalink]
Hi ,
This would be a great initiative,I am just a beginner in preparing for GMAT.I want to be part of this.Please let me know the further proceedings.
Thanks,
Himani.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2278 [0]
Send PM
kanthedhimani wrote:
Hi ,
This would be a great initiative,I am just a beginner in preparing for GMAT.I want to be part of this.Please let me know the further proceedings.
Thanks,
Himani.
sarahrs wrote:
What a good idea. Happy to be involved. Sarah

Posted from my mobile device

Sarah, Himani - you are welcome. I felt that GMAT was the major hurdle in my journey to my coveted B school. Now that I have been looking into the other parts of the app process, I am :roll:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Kudos
Sounds interesting.. how do we go about this?
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Re: Free essay review initiative [#permalink]
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
Very good idea! For all the nay-sayers, I want to say that this will work and will help since the group will have a diverse collection of strengths and weaknesses that will provide an opportunity for everyone to contribute and also to learn. Additionally, accountability itself is going to help significantly! This is why Toast Masters is successful.

Are you looking for people applying to the same schools? What are the requirements for people to participate?

P.S. We can also ask Oasis to weigh in (he has read a lot of essays over his time/years): free-profile-essay-review-service-free-129484.html

Hi Guys,

I will be more than happy to be a part of this initiative

Am glad that new initiatives are being executed for essay review

Feel free to share your work or seek opinions on your essays (pls refer to the thread in my signature)

Cheers
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Thank you for your response, Oasis. Since you already have experience in reviewing essays, you can provide significant inputs regarding this initiative.

My long term vision for this initiative is to evolve this as another offering from GMATClub, as a new section altogether. I am still thinking of ways to take this forward, and any inputs from you will be helpful.

What are your thoughts on the questions posed by bb:
"Are you looking for people applying to the same schools? What are the requirements for people to participate?"

Please also feel free to share your own strategies as to how we can make this initiative a success, like so many other initiatives at GMAT club.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Attachment:
App360 Final.doc [53.5 KiB]
Downloaded 148 times
You already have the App360,which we can use for capturing essays and other info.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Legendaddy wrote:
I wish to start a peer review initiative wherein we can get together and review each other's essays. While this is in no way an alternative to getting the app reviewed by a professional/expert, this would help us in the following ways:

I. It will help us get a third party perspective of our essays. Our friends, colleagues or mentors will see our app differently from what a total stranger will see. Adcoms are total strangers - you do the CR

II. Going through other people's essays will help us see from the POV of adcoms, and this will help us do one of the key things we want to - sharpen our own apps

III. Spot errors in apps that the author may have missed. Most of us are no SC champs (my verbal score is proof I am not, don't know about you) and will benefit from a second (maybe third also) pair of eyes.

IV. Opportunity to network with future B-School alumni. Who knows, we might set up a consultancy one day.

NB: This is a non-profit initiative to help each other. Kudos may be exchanged, in fact they are encouraged :-D

I am currently working on my essays. I will send them to you for discussions once I am done.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
lovejyot wrote:
I am currently working on my essays. I will send them to you for discussions once I am done.
Sure. I am just a PM away
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 774 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Kudos
guys, would there be any rules of engagement here.. ? Any ideas? I would guess confidentiality?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I'd definitely be interested too. Took my GMAT in January and looking to apply in R1&2 later this year so I'm thinking about essays now. I think a peer review process would help retain the 'personal touch' that must surely get lost in sanitized admission consultant reviews.

I've been considering doing some dummy essays to some of the more typical essays that come up such as 'Why do you need an MBA? Why X school?' before the essays topics get released in the summer.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Timbob wrote:
I'd definitely be interested too. Took my GMAT in January and looking to apply in R1&2 later this year so I'm thinking about essays now. I think a peer review process would help retain the 'personal touch' that must surely get lost in sanitized admission consultant reviews.

I've been considering doing some dummy essays to some of the more typical essays that come up such as 'Why do you need an MBA? Why X school?' before the essays topics get released in the summer.
Adding to your list:
Significant achievement(s)
Significant incident in your life and how you faced it (ISB asks this)
Statement of purpose
3 activities performed at workplace in the last 5 years which will help gauge abilities and strengths.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Legendaddy wrote:
Timbob wrote:

Adding to your list:
Significant achievement(s)
Significant incident in your life and how you faced it (ISB asks this)
Statement of purpose
3 activities performed at workplace in the last 5 years which will help gauge abilities and strengths.

I get the first two, what do you mean by 'Statement of Purpose' and what sort of things are the '3 activities' I assume work-based tasks?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Timbob wrote:

I get the first two, what do you mean by 'Statement of Purpose' and what sort of things are the '3 activities' I assume work-based tasks?
A statement of purpose essay requires you to make a logical connection between your past, present, and future. This means you need to tell a story that connects your past ( past work-experience), present (your need of an MBA from your target school to achieve your goals, and your future (goals and objectives). The Schools want to see that you have a clear plan/ vision for future and you have the ability to convince them of the same by telling your story that is not only clear and compelling, but also reveals your personal and professional attributes.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Thanks a ton for your help on the essays! The pointers you provided were extremely insightful and I am working on closing the gaps you pointed out.

Will send you the draft 2.0 soon.
Thanks again!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 181
Concentration: Leadership, Marketing
GMAT 1: 540 Q36 V28
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 620 Q42 V33
GPA: 2.82
WE:Human Resources (Health Care)
Send PM
This is one of the best aids that I gained from this forum .. I almost re-wrote my essay based on the review. I found it extremely helpful .... Great Legenddady thank you :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
I would like to participate ... who should I contact?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
This is a great initiative Legendaddy, cant think of any reasons why this shouldn't work out.
Sometimes just by reading someone else's essays we can develop a perspective for our own essays. Thats the added advantage of this excercise.
Looking forward to be a part of this.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2