Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:27 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE:Accounting (Law)
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.59
WE:Accounting (Law)
Send PM
Re: Fuqua (Duke) Class of 2016: Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
FYI, the online application is up!
Send PM
asimov wrote:
essaysnark wrote:
Actually we've seen studies on this and the curve is pretty much totally down and to the right. If anything, you can get a hit right after lunch but the afternoon people all blur together. Thought we'd blahgged about this but now can't find the post. Need to do that...

The interviewers do not interview all day. They have specific slots. AdCom even attempts to match you up interviewers with similar background when possible. Thus, even if you interview after lunch, it may be their first interview of the day.

Just schedule the interview for the best time for you.

Thanks asimov - you're right, of course - when we posted that, we weren't thinking of Duke specifically; the advice we offered is instead relevant to schools like HBS, MIT and NYU where they have a core set of interviewers who do back-to-back interviews all day long. It also applies to on-campus recruiting. But thanks for the correction re: Duke, it's a different situation entirely!

EssaySnark
Send PM
kple12 wrote:
And the essays are identical to last year after all! Which is great, given how awesome these questions are - our informal survey last year put Duke in the winner of the "best essays" contest.

The Duke questions:

DukeAdcom wrote:
Required Short Answer Questions: Answer all 3 questions. For each short answer question, respond in 250 characters only (the equivalent of about 50 words).

1. What are your short-term goals, post-MBA?
2. What are your long-term goals?
3. Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the short-term goals that you provided above not materialize what alternative directions have you considered?

Required Essays: Answer both essay questions

1. The "Team Fuqua" spirit and community is one of the things that sets The Duke MBA experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of "25 Random Things About Yourself." As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire's professional and academic background, so learning these "25 Random Things" helps us get to know someone's personality, background, special talents, and more.

In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you–beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are. Share with us your list of "25 Random Things" about YOU.

Please present your response in list form, numbered 1 to 25. Some points may be only a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages.

2. When asked by your family, friends, and colleagues why you want to go to Duke, what do you tell them? Share the reasons that are most meaningful to you.

Your response to this essay question should be no more than 2 pages in length. Please respond fully and concisely using 1.5 line spacing.

These will be a lot of work for you but they will also let you shine. Good luck everyone!!

EssaySnark
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Any suggestions on how re-applicants should tackle 25-things essay?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
jumsumtak wrote:

I think that's one of the questions where we are not expected to show a significant deviation; I was very satisfied with my essay last year, so I think I will only change 4-5, but keep rest the same. Were you waitlisted last year?
Send PM
hailmary wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

I think that's one of the questions where we are not expected to show a significant deviation; I was very satisfied with my essay last year, so I think I will only change 4-5, but keep rest the same.

This one is tricky. While we agree with what you're saying in concept hailmary, the fact is that you didn't make it in with that essay last year. Sure, if done well, the 25 Things represent the "core you" - meaning, they are things that would not change in a year. However, this is a new opportunity. Taking a clean-slate approach is always recommended in terms of presenting a fresh pitch. We'd strongly suggest that reapplicants look at this with new eyes and see what might be seen.

Admittedly, not very helpful in terms of what you should actually DO with this essay as a reapplicant... but definitely this will challenge you to show your very best to the school (not that you didn't try to do that last year...).

EssaySnark
Director
Director
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:

This one is tricky. While we agree with what you're saying in concept hailmary, the fact is that you didn't make it in with that essay last year. Sure, if done well, the 25 Things represent the "core you" - meaning, they are things that would not change in a year. However, this is a new opportunity. Taking a clean-slate approach is always recommended in terms of presenting a fresh pitch. We'd strongly suggest that reapplicants look at this with new eyes and see what might be seen.

Admittedly, not very helpful in terms of what you should actually DO with this essay as a reapplicant... but definitely this will challenge you to show your very best to the school (not that you didn't try to do that last year...).

EssaySnark

I agree with what you saying, but the problem is: What if you were a weak candidate and the 25 random things essay is what helped you get on waitlist, and not in the ding pile, early on. Most of my random things were about my childhood, upbringing, adversities and accomplishments - none of those stuff will change or should be changed. Obviously, you can change the wordings, but the actual content will not change.

I think adcom should shed some light on how reapps should approach this essay. This is a tricky one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Great to see essays are out.

I also booked my interview and other things for a visit - super excited!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Once Fuqua updates profiles with Class of 2015, it should give a taste of how students answered the "25 random things" question. It is still interesting to see what students not under admission pressure said in their "5 random things."

https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/daytime-mba/s ... /profiles/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Schools: Yale '16 (M)
Send PM
hailmary wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

I think that's one of the questions where we are not expected to show a significant deviation; I was very satisfied with my essay last year, so I think I will only change 4-5, but keep rest the same. Were you waitlisted last year?

I'm a reapplicant too. I'm thinking of changing some points to make it current too/provide personal updates on myself since my last application, but a bulk of it will probably be the same.

For the other essays, I'm going to make minor changes to my essays, since I know they can be tighter/more coherent and I've learned a few more things about Fuqua since last time (especially for the "Why Fuqua?" essay).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
hailmary wrote:
essaysnark wrote:

EssaySnark

I agree with what you saying, but the problem is: What if you were a weak candidate and the 25 random things essay is what helped you get on waitlist, and not in the ding pile, early on. Most of my random things were about my childhood, upbringing, adversities and accomplishments - none of those stuff will change or should be changed. Obviously, you can change the wordings, but the actual content will not change.

I think adcom should shed some light on how reapps should approach this essay. This is a tricky one.

Agreed. This is weird. The story related questions are the easier ones to tackle in reapps.

It's similar to a resume in the sense that, assuming I thought about my accomplishments exhaustively and included the best from them in my initial application's resume, the job I had 4 years ago and have since left isn't going to change and I'm therefore sending in the same stuff. It sucks but unfortunately, my time machine's broken...
Send PM
hookemhorns612 wrote:
It's similar to a resume in the sense that, assuming I thought about my accomplishments exhaustively and included the best from them in my initial application's resume, the job I had 4 years ago and have since left isn't going to change and I'm therefore sending in the same stuff. It sucks but unfortunately, my time machine's broken...
The bulk of the resume is not expected to change in a reapp - maybe that's exactly what you meant, but just in case, thought we should state that. It should definitely be updated and hopefully there's at least a new bullet or two at the top showing new achievements in your current role - but full overhaul, no, not required (provided it was done well the first time of course!!).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Just booked my interview and other visit events. I'll be down 9/26 - 9/28.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
sdd996 wrote:
Just booked my interview and other visit events. I'll be down 9/26 - 9/28.

I'm also heading to Fuqua that weekend; I'm sure I'll see you around.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Send PM
I scheduled my visit and Interview for weekend of October 12th. I will be there from Thursday through Saturday and try to experience the life at Duke.

Any suggestions on hotels?

Any one else going the same weekend?
Director
Director
Send PM
kple12 wrote:

It's not up. Where do you see it?
Send PM
Our first GMAT Club essay review went up recently - and it's a Duke essay!

In case you missed it:

Duke Essay 2 review

EssaySnark
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  82   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts