Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 04:50 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [162]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2198 [1]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: 770- My strategies that helped me ace GMAT [#permalink]
Kudos
Tiger Beetle question is really quite tough, i was demoralized while I solved that question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
rituchaturvedi7 wrote:
How long did it take for you to master the e-GMAT SC methodology?I find myself deviating from the same when pressed for time.

Did you follow the e-GMAT CR methodology also?

Thanks

Ritu

Dear Ritu, There is one thing that I realized while practicing my mocks - its better to follow the process 90% of the time and let 10% of the question go. Doing this helps in 2 ways:

1. It leads to higher score.
2. It helps improve timing eventually because you face more and more challenging questions and you apply the process on them.

Dont let the process go.

For CR, I always tried to prethink. When I started I was only able to do the same 25% of the time but with practice I was able to prethink 75% of time. As Rajat says, the prethink does not need to be precise, but it should be in the right direction. In my case, doing prethink did help me cut the time to answer down to 1:40. This gave me some luxury for CR questions where I could not prethink and for RC.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
nandita115 wrote:
Congratulations on your score!

Since your description is very clear, I just need to ask one question - Did you manage 300+ hours this while working, or did you take a month or so off?

I'm a non native too so I definitely need to put in 300 odd hours too. Going by the number of hours my work is taking up, I'm hardly able to put in 20 hours in a week :( hence the question.

Regards,

20 hours per week is what I managed most of my working weeks. I wasted a lot of initial time on books. I would say that if I were to do it again, I would probably need 220 hours. here is how I think I spent the time:

1. Quant - 40-50 hrs.
2. Verbal - 170 -200 hours
3. Test preparation - 30-50 hrs

If I were to do it again, here is what I would do:

1. Use just egmat course and GMAT prep to reduce the verbal time to 100-120 hours.
2. Take fewer mocks
3. Study in a focused fashion upfront. This should reduce the quant time by 20%

As you can see, I wasted a lot of time in Verbal. Overall from 550 to 750 I think it needs ~200 hours of effort..

One of the things that I realized was that studying in a concentrated manner is much more efficient. So one thing that I would suggest is to take 2 vacation/sic/partial work days every month. If could take more then it could make a huge difference.for me, doing work from home helped a lot
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Send PM
trafficspinners wrote:
Tiger Beetle question is really quite tough, i was demoralized while I solved that question.

that is one wicked question. whats baffling - there are 2-3 versions of that question
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Booth '20
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Anup,

That is a great score you got.. Congrats..

Suman here.. I would be taking the GMAT for the third time this time( having scored a 710 and 730 on my first 2 attempts). I need to improve my verbal scores quite a bit( last time it was 41).

I believe where I lack is CR. I never got close to chalking out a winning strategy for the CR questions. I tries various resources such as the Manhattan Guide, CR bible etc. They all seemed to contradict each other; result, I was confused. I read your rave reviews about the eGMAT course. I would like to know how is the CR in that?? I have heard everybody going gaga about the SC course of eGMAT, but how is the CR?

Your comments would be helpful.. Really..

Cheers,
Suman.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Great work dude...congrats
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
congrats bro...on d awesum score..
jus wanted to ask...i suppose i face d same prob as u..wid sc..giving the mocks m performung realy well in all other ques except fer sc n sometimes in rc...
wenevr i do sc against a clock...somethin happens...n m nt able to get more dan 50% acc....nw i have strted spending all my tym of prep fer sc...but dese rules are too many to master in a shrt span...i m very gud at quants but as i dnt lyk reading at all...verbal has always been weak
ny suggestion bhai....

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 186
Send PM
Kudos
amazing score!! You have a great great split..all the best for the apps!:)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 164 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
I believe where I lack is CR. I never got close to chalking out a winning strategy for the CR questions. I tries various resources such as the Manhattan Guide, CR bible etc. They all seemed to contradict each other; result, I was confused. I read your rave reviews about the eGMAT course. I would like to know how is the CR in that?? I have heard everybody going gaga about the SC course of eGMAT, but how is the CR?

Your comments would be helpful.. Really..

@Suman - you already have excellent verbal score. how bad are you in CR. I think I was unable to get more than 11 right in CR in any of my mocks. CR gets much more difficult as you start scoring better.

As I mentioned in my debrief, IMO the improvement from V41 is based on exam practice. Thats how I improved. Just focus on your weakness and chip away. BTW..the e-GMAT CR course when coupled with live sessions is Excellent.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 45
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Operations
Schools: ISB '15
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V23
GPA: 3.9
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
[quote="anupkapoor"][quote] Which GMAT Prep material are you talking about ? How good are the video lectures of GMATPrep. Please share your experience.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
Kudos
anupkapoor wrote:

First 10 questions

First 10 questions matter the most: Although I said this in the previous point, I would like to re-iterate that getting the first 10 right (or 8/10 right) is key to scoring 40+. In the first stage when I scored 30 in GMAT Prep 1, I got 4 out of 10 incorrect. During the middle of my GMAT prep (stage 2), I retook the same exam and scored 40 when I got only 2 incorrect in the first 10 even though I made 4 fewer mistakes.

This debrief like my gmat-prep has become a lot longer than usual. The good thing is that I can now :done hope to join the MBA tour in SFO or LA this weekend if I can take time out of my work. :knight

Fire away any questions you have

-Anup

This is interesting, because I got the feeling that this is a myth. I did the two GMAT prep tests the day before the real test (first attempt) and got both times 770 as in the real test. In the Math part of the the GMAT Prep 1, I got 3 of the first 5 questions wrong, but scored afterwards 23 or something like that right in a row, reaching 49...
I prepared for about two months (1 month really focussed) and invested about 80% of the time in my weakness sc, which at the end, was really strong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT Date: 09-14-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello Anup,

Congrats on the great score, can you please help me out in my situation?

I'm static on a 650 score in Kaplan and GMAT Prep.
Q47-48 V33-34.

I want to touch a 700. In GMAT prep i noticed I was getting many of the earlier questions wrong, could this be a reason?
GMAT is scheduled in 25 days....

Prep - MGMAT Prep series and e-gmat for SC.

Please advise!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
read what is written from top to bottom. I think it's gonna be my strategy too..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
Send PM
Excellent Insight 770 is a dream score for any body.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Excelent post anupkapoor! I'm starting my journey this month, and read your post was a great reference, but I got a little lost when you say "Mock Tests".

Are you refering to the Gmat Prep Practice Questions or to the Gmat Prep two Practice Exams?

Thanks a lot for the inspiration!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2198 [0]
Given Kudos: 298
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V41
GMAT 3: 790 Q51 V49
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
anupkapoor wrote:
trafficspinners wrote:

that is one wicked question. whats baffling - there are 2-3 versions of that question

You got 770 in your first attempt?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
great score buddy!! Congrats
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator: