Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 02:46 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 02:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Stanford GSB Calling all applicants for Class of 2016! [#permalink]
seamlessftw wrote:
Does anyone know how strict Stanford is about the total 1,600 word count? If we submit a PDF with 1,700 words in total across the three essays, would they care (or even check/notice)?
Not strict, they don't count words, but after reading essays for so many years the admissions people get an uncanny ability to eyeball an essay (or set of essays) and know if it's too long. They expect you to use your best judgment.

EssaySnark

PS: Welcome to GMAT Club!
Send PM
And completing our recent run of Stanford essay reviews, here's our commentary about a real-life Essay 3, this one written for the "went beyond what was defined or established" question option.

Thanks to everyone who was brave enough to submit those Stanford drafts for these reviews!! Hope they prove helpful.

EssaySnark
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Confession: writing up concise blurbs of extracurricular activities has me stressed and snacking on Starbursts. Now I know why people say to do your dream school app last. I'm going to be fat with cavities by the end of September.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Kudos
The 185-character limits are ridiculous--barely longer than a tweet.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
seamlessftw wrote:
The 185-character limits are ridiculous--barely longer than a tweet.

Basically. There goes any explanation of my leadership positions/progression in an organization.

No lie, I replaced "and" with "&" in order to squeeze some extra characters in. During my sugar high, I mused if this might ding me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
I had a question about activities.

I am an Indian female and a trained classical dancer. I organize/ perform at least one show a year. That is about my only activity outside work apart from gardening and they are both time consuming. I am not sure whether to include these as activities in my app because they do not fall under athletic, charitable, civic, community, or professional and I do not belong to any club or organization (I'm not sure if my dance class can be classified as an organization).

Any thoughts?
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@spambmba, dance definitely qualifies! You should include it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.54
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Hi guys,

Anyone out here attended the Stanford Admissions Event in Mumbai on 20th August ??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Does anybody know what the recommendation questions are for professional references?

I know that the peer recommendation questions are :

1) Please comment briefly on the context of your interaction with the applicant. If applicable, describe the applicant's role in your organization.
2) Please describe a time when the applicant changed your thinking or actions.
3) Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.
4) (Optional) Are there any additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Office?

Would these be the same for the professional recs?
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Swoosh617 wrote:
Does anybody know what the recommendation questions are for professional references?

I know that the peer recommendation questions are :

1) Please comment briefly on the context of your interaction with the applicant. If applicable, describe the applicant's role in your organization.
2) Please describe a time when the applicant changed your thinking or actions.
3) Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.
4) (Optional) Are there any additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Office?

Would these be the same for the professional recs?

From Stanford's website (https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/programs/mb ... commenders):

Quote:
Professional/Workplace Recommendations
Please comment briefly on the context of your interaction with the applicant. If applicable, describe the applicant's role in your organization.

How do the candidate's performance, potential, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples.

Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
Hi Guys-

I needed a quick clarification regarding the app form for Stanford.

For the education section, Stanford gives explicit instructions to
"Report/calculate your GPA, to the best of your ability, even if your institution does not list it on your transcript. If necessary, you may explain how you report it in the Additional Information section."

I am an Indian candidate who received UG scores on a % basis and not GPA. The form does not allow me to enter % so is it wise to convert my % scores to GPA using an indicator like WES. If not, what is the best way to enter the percentages?

Also, I know my rank in class unofficially (rank not listed on the transcript). Do you guys think I should mention it, given its unofficial??

Any help will be really appreciated.

Wish you guys all the best with the app process!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
SRM0412 wrote:
Hi Guys-

"Report/calculate your GPA, to the best of your ability, even if your institution does not list it on your transcript. If necessary, you may explain how you report it in the Additional Information section."

I am an Indian candidate who received UG scores on a % basis and not GPA. The form does not allow me to enter % so is it wise to convert my % scores to GPA using an indicator like WES. If not, what is the best way to enter the percentages?

Also, I know my rank in class unofficially (rank not listed on the transcript). Do you guys think I should mention it, given its unofficial??

I would recommend you to enter your percentage marks under cummulative GPA and 100 under scale.

This clearly shows that you got 80(say) out of 100 that means 80%.

And about the class rank - I would suggest you to enter the rank only if its really good (say within 15%) It doesnt matter if you have proof to show for it. They will never ask that. Just dont lie. If you are say in the top 35%, dont mention it as top 15%. It better to leave it as blank.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
ankurq7 wrote:
SRM0412 wrote:
Hi Guys-

I would recommend you to enter your percentage marks under cummulative GPA and 100 under scale.

This clearly shows that you got 80(say) out of 100 that means 80%.

And about the class rank - I would suggest you to enter the rank only if its really good (say within 15%) It doesnt matter if you have proof to show for it. They will never ask that. Just dont lie. If you are say in the top 35%, dont mention it as top 15%. It better to leave it as blank.

Thank you so much for the prompt response Ankurq7

I hope they wont think of 80 on 100 as relative grading (since it is entered under GPA), that would be far worse than 80%.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Anyone got pointers for the goal essay? I have room for 450 words, just like the suggestion. But I simply cannot fit all the elements in 450 words. Specifically, elements such as : career vision, how it relates to my career progression to date, personal reason/motivation for the career aspiration, plans to attain that goal, why mba, why standord, how I could contribute to stanford.

HELP!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
I have been facing the same dilemma. What I am currently doing is to come up with single line answers for each of these questions and see how much space I have left for a little elaboration. I touched upon motivation for career aspiration in Essay 1. So I have one less answer to fit in :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Hey guys,

Is there a way to preview the application in its full in pdf before submission? There's a button that says "proceed to submission", but I'm afraid that there's no turning back after I click it.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Affiliations: SPG Platinum, Southwest A-List
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [1]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.56
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
HBS13aspirant wrote:
Hey guys,

Is there a way to preview the application in its full in pdf before submission? There's a button that says "proceed to submission", but I'm afraid that there's no turning back after I click it.

Click "PRINT FORMS" at the bottom left of the page (under Application Instructions). Then you will be able to preview the application in HTML or PDF.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  63   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts