Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 05:36 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 05:36
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 1186
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Send PM
Re: God's Kindness: From 570 to 710 - In a month n a week! [#permalink]
Bookmarks
engbong wrote:
Congratulations to you !I am a broken heart after getting 420 in the first GMAT :(...I was terribly under prepared and better to say I was not prepared at all.

Gearing up again for the retake and your debrief acted as fuel ...Way to go..

Don't worry at all. With practice and hard work, you can achieve any damn thing in the world!

Golden Advice: Become a fan of GMAT Club - eat, sleep and breathe it. Do as many questions as possible all the time. Follw Bunuel, Carcass, Vercules, Souvik and others, Your learning will be phenomenal, trust me on that.

Also, you can reach out to me for any help that you need, cheers :)

Consider providing kudos, if my posts help you ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
tring375 wrote:
minkathebest wrote:
Congrats on the score! Great job! For your IR, It sounds like you rushed through it since you got a 0% as a result you got a stamina boost of 30 points. Did you have a lot of time left over?

Interesting observation.
I want to further ask whether you had many questions in quant in your stronger areas and vice-versa?
Congrats on the score. But i want to remind people, this may not work out for everyone.

Thanks for you words.

No, Quant wasn't in comfort zone at all for me. I also did not have any time at all left in IR, so did not exactly rush through it.

And I agree with you completely, this may not work out for everyone, maybe not even for me if I were to appear again. That's why the debrief is titled "God's kindness" :)

Consider providing Kudos, if my posts help ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Svetlenok wrote:
Ashay, thank you for the debrief!
Congrats!! Your debrief made my day!
I'm struggling with verbal now and your words are very helpful!..
I'm using too many resources now and don't see an improvement actually, so maybe I will follow you and concentrate on official GMAT resources. Also working in a Big4 and can imagine how it's difficult to study and work over hours.

Thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate them. I am glad you found the debrief useful, that was the reason for writing it. :)

Big 4 is crazy!! Haha!!

And yes, stick to the official material. Feel free to give me a call this Sunday if you want to discuss your strategy or anything at all, I'll be glad to. Thanks again.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Fariz wrote:
I read your comments and this motivated me to accelerate the process of my study. I think your suggestions will be helpful. Will be appreacite if you send me your notes for all 3 verbal sections and study schedule, if possible, and advice me how to improve my score within 3 weeks: what I must to do, from what to start, any links in gamtclub regarding database.
Thanks.

Thanks, I am very glad you got motivated to get a high score by slightly working on your pit stops. Trust me, everyone is capable of a 7xx, and I'm sure you'll do it too!

All the very best, and feel free to give me call on Sunday of there's anything you want to discuss, cheers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
Hi Akshay!! A big congoz on the score !!!! and goodluck for the apps....i am sure ISB wud consider ur app (fingers crossed) as alrdy mentioned,they aint considering IR score (i cn confirm that from the ISB infosessions that i attended in Delhi).
I wud lik to share that while reading your debrief i was thinking....this guy is me !!! Seriously....with a pretty hectic office work + that back problem + the same scores on mocks...i can very well relate...and thanks for that tip on Yusuf Sarai centre (that's my centre too ). I have my GMAT on the 15th...and really struggling with my back + Verbal :P .. stuck on a score of V34-35 ,nothing seems to help .. Can you please share the SC notes that you mentioned ...I have PMd u my email id...
thanks a tonne in advance !!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ermitav wrote:
Hi Akshay!! A big congoz on the score !!!! and goodluck for the apps....i am sure ISB wud consider ur app (fingers crossed) as alrdy mentioned,they aint considering IR score (i cn confirm that from the ISB infosessions that i attended in Delhi).
I wud lik to share that while reading your debrief i was thinking....this guy is me !!! Seriously....with a pretty hectic office work + that back problem + the same scores on mocks...i can very well relate...and thanks for that tip on Yusuf Sarai centre (that's my centre too ). I have my GMAT on the 15th...and really struggling with my back + Verbal :P .. stuck on a score of V34-35 ,nothing seems to help .. Can you please share the SC notes that you mentioned ...I have PMd u my email id...
thanks a tonne in advance !!

Hi ermitav,

It was great to read your post, put up a big smile on my face :). Thank you so much for your words, I hope things work yaar. As for the back, i can give you good advice there too ;), but I sincerely hope you're getting better. I have sent you the notes you requested and some other material as well. As for your Verbal scores right now, I think you are dong good, and doing the set of questions I have sent across, along with a revision of basics should put you in the next league, thatmof a 40+ score in V.

Moreso, feel free to call me up or write to me, in case you need to discuss or want any help at any point of time. I'll be more than happy to help someone who's so much like me ;)

Cheers - here's wishing you do much better than I did!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: AGSM '15
Send PM
congrts akshay ....... :)
can u pleas share nova quants and sc notes
Manager
Manager
Send PM
naveenjt069 wrote:
congrts akshay ....... :)
can u pleas share nova quants and sc notes

Sure, please PM me your email id and I'll send the material across. Cheers.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3186 [1]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Great score
Great Improvement

ATB for your future !!

Rgds,
TGC!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
akshaychaturvedi007 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Date: Sep 25, 2013 ' Score: 710 (Q48, V40)

Thank you GMAT Club!

Firstly, it's a privilege to be writing my debrief on GMAT Club. I have been such a HUGE fan of this community. I would want to thank bb from the bottom of my heart for coming up with this masterpiece. Over the last two months, I think I have breathed GMAT Club all day and all night long. Bunuel and his fantastic solutions, Krishna, Stacy, Cacass, Souvik, Vercules and so many others who make the verbal forum awesome - I thank you all for contributing toward the success of others - believe me, the fantastic work that you're doing, and the wishes that you garner from so many of us - it's going to take you to the best of heights in this lifetime. My best wishes to everyone out here, who makes sure that GMAT Club remains a beautiful experience for newbies like me.

Onto the GMAT Story now:

I work in the International Tax team of a Big 4, and work is at an all time high around the year. Till about April this year, I was working every weekend, and leaving home post 10pm. Come May, I decided I wanted to get an MBA, make the next move in my career. In the third week of May, I joined some classes near my place (Imperial Hotel, CP, New Delhi), so that I am atleast regular with my stuff. I started to study in the class, and always made an attempt to study 3-4 times a week. There were times I couldn't study for many days at a stretch, but atleast, in my mind, something or the other kept going on.

In August 2013, I realized that there was too much dilly-dallying that had happened. All I was studying was doing the Question of the Day on GMAT Club. I decided to take the GMAT Prep in August (after 4 delays already), and took it on 18 August. Result - scored a terrible 570! Strangely enough, I saw it 'not a very bad performance'. "Ok, a Q40 - I can definitely take it up by 5 points, and a V28, I can definitely score 33-34 with some more basic clarity." With that thought, got back to my studies. All through June to August, I had been suffering from a severe back ache, so that used to take a lot of my time too.

I went on leave starting Sep 1 (exam was on Sep 25), and started to study basics again. Did SC through all the notes I had (those that were given to me in the class), and Quant via a book called NOVA, that was a passed resource from a friend. After about 8-9 days of preparation, I decided needed to take a mock (this was supposed to be my first of a list of 7 I wanted to take before the exam). I banked on the free Veritas test. Result - a 530: Q44, V18! Just a day before, I had taken the free GMAT Club Verbal test, wherein I had scored V39. I gulped down the sadness, smiled at myself, and put it on a bad day. "After all, I had taken the exam after studying for 12 hours - should've taken it fresh. Maybe the Veritas test is crass." But I just couldn't get the V18 out of my head.

I couldn't sleep that night. This was 12 days before my exam. Next day, I woke up at noon and again gave a free Manhattan test. Focus was on Verbal. Did Quant in an un-timed way, and then gave Verbal. Overall score was a 560 - but I was looking at only the Verbal part, since I had given Quant just like that. This time, it was V30. I analyzed this score for about 3 hours and made strategies for all three types of questions hereon. The score also sort of gave a little breather..maybe I can inch my way now. Maybe. So I made a new strategy - I will focus on basics for the next 4 days, give GMAT Prep 1 again, if I am able to score a 650+, I will go for the exam, otherwise, reschedule it.

Studied for 4 days - just basics. Devoted one day to RC completely. Did Quant's basic fundas. Did a huge amount of SC questions. Then prayed to God and gave my GMAT Prep one fine Saturday. Scored a 700. Was so damn happy! Saw atleast 4-5 verbal repeats and 3-4 quant repeats, but I was happy anyhow. Also to note, I had taken this mock without the AWA and IR, unlike the first time. I had my apprehensions around the score, but it was good enough to put the reschedule thought out of my mind. 10 days to go now!

I was studying 8-9 hours per day. Half of that time on GMAT Club. Doing questions left, right and center. There was this compilation I had found on SC - 100 Awesome SC Questions to build on concepts - though I did about 30 of them, these were gold standards, and helped me ace SC in the end. Then, there were the GMAT Prep questions for CR, these again helped me strengthen CR questions, with which I was struggling.

Just 2 days before the exam, I gave my GMAT Prep 2. Saw multiple repeats again - scored a 680 (Q44, V38). I realized that ideally my Q score is hovering in the 45 range and V was at best 35, since there were always 5-6 repeats I could see on the test (this was because I had done those questions somewhere or the other on the GMAT Club forum). I was more or less convinced that I might have to take the exam again - but also confident that this just might work, because I had worked very hard.

Did the AWA via the Chinese Burned Guide, practiced IR, and was good to go for the exam.

The Exam Day

I reached about 10 mins earlier and the center hadn't opened up. My father wasn't well, and I badly wanted to make him proud. A day before the exam, I spent about 2 hours making myself believe things will happen. Reading all those wishes by close friends. Getting motivated by reading some GMAT Club Stories. There is this one particular story I remember - wherein a guy score a 660 in his last mock before the exam, and then went on to score a 730. Went to the INSEAD website, and saw an admit's story, she had scored a 710 in her second retake. I prayed to God, "just help me achieve me 710 somehow - anyhow. I have always helped people by going out of my way, always, this is my time, I should hit it"..

I was taking the exam at Yusuf Sarai, New Delhi. I spoke to the test center people about my back issue, and that I would have to stand in the middle of the exam or take breaks. They were very helpful, and even offered a pillow to me. I had taken 3 bananas (as read in one of VeritasPrep Krishna's advice), and an apple, along with mywaist belt just in case the pain becomes too much to handle.

AWA went off smoothly. I did things exactly the Chinese Burned way. Struggled a lot with IR. My advice to anyone would be to figure out IR was before the last few days. Took a loo break, spoke to myself on the Q strategy. I had always missed out questions in Quant, never reaching beyond 28 or 29. Plus, the other issue was atleast 4-5 careless mistakes. Since I had taken just 3-4 mocks, I had not been able to work too much on the careless mistakes part. Well, the break soon finished and I was ready to face it head on. What I foresaw was something I had never expected. My speed was much slower than any of my previous mocks. The questions were more difficult than anything I had ever experienced. Nothing like the stuff I had prepared for. And way beyond GMAT Prep standards. I just held on to my horses and saw it one question at a time. I was taking about 3 minutes per question. Did some intelligent guessing on 2-3 DS questions between the 18th to 23rd questions. In the end, with 3-4 minutes remaining, I was on Q. 28. Started to randomly select any option - if I could read a question, well enough, if it's long, a random guess is all I could afford. With some 30 seconds remaining, I knew the last question, had seen that type before. Put my cursor on the correct choice 0- and bang! The section was over.

I knew I was gone. This would be fetching me a sub-40 score for sure. What now - I started to make strategies for the retake in those 5 minutes. Probably next time I will follow Bunuel religiously, take GMAT Club Quant tests, do this, and do that. Took a loo break, had two bananas, and told myself it's not over yet. My favorite, Verbal, is left. Let's just try and score a 40 here, so that next time I can take that egmat guarantee and study with them.

Verbal started. This was again tougher than what I had expected, but fortunately enough, this was an area where I had practiced like crazy (just for the love of it - 50-60 SC questions on GMAT Club every day - and reading up every question with complete analysis). Did RC (had done just 5-6 passages in my entire last 45 days). Did CR (the GMAT Prep [practice was helping). By the time I was on last question, some 2 minutes were left. I attempted it with some guesswork, and got done. Boom! Test Over.

Answered those standard questions. Reported my questions. And then just went still. 710 - I couldn't believe that!! This was the number I was dreaming of. This was the number I asked God for. I heaved a sigh of relief. Took my unofficial report, called my parents, and started to text all my well wishers. I was very happy.

Things I did differently, but they might just not work for everyone

1. In my first week of leave (25-15 days before the exam), I was going for 2 hours every single day to get treated for my back problem. This worked for me. I used to interact with so many people, I was never stressed. These were people who did not know the GMAT or work-lingo. Talking here was fun. :lol:

2. For the entire duration of my exams, I walked every night for 1 to 1 and a half hours. Spoke to myself. Used to forget everything and listen to slow music. It made me calm. More calm than I had ever left. I did this till the very last day, and I think this is one major reason for being confident in the exam hall on the final day. :-D

3. Focused on basics. NOVA for Quant and RC, my Sir's notes for SC, and the GMAT Prep Questions for CR. I also did about 300 questions in the last week, based on GMAT Prep, for Number System, Inequalities, Geometry and Co-ordinate Geometry. I never focused on P n C and stuff. I knew it was way too tough to invest time in. If at all a question came, I would try to do it the counting way. That's what I did in the exam as well.

4. GMAT Club - all the way! I have given some 1000+ kudos' in a month. Every single question was analyzed in great detail by me. My quantum was limited, but I made sure the little that I am doing, I analyze it very well. 8-)

5. Took just 3 mocks, and stayed as close to the GMAC practice material as possible - Trust me on this one. If analyzed properly, the official material is way too much to finish. I never gave a lot of mocks. Maybe that's not the right way to go about things, but it worked for me. :wink:

Twist in the Story

I received the official score reports today. Though an AWA is a 6 on 6, I have scored a 0%, on IR, a score of 1. Shell shocked! :oops: Need advice from this community on how to approach things now. Will the admissions committee look into it too deeply? I have 2 and a half years of experience with a Big 4, some start-ups, lots of extra curricular, etc. Though I believe I have a good profile (not sure how good it is for the top schools I dream of), but my being on the lower side in terms of years of experience, and this IR score of 1 are worrying me. What schools can I apply to? How to go about things? Will be very grateful, like always, for any kind of advice. I had been looking at the top schools in the US and ISB, India. Rejected LBS and INSEAD since they are high on experience, and mine would be just about 3 years before admit. :!:

Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Yale, Chicago Booth, ISB, Said (Oxford), MIT Sloan, Kelloggs - how to go about things? Also, what are the scholarships for international students? Is it true that the total cost would go upto some INR 2 crore+. Is there an ROI that justifies that kind of investment? Please do help guys, keeping the whole picture in your mind. I can always send my CV via email if someone can help me out. :)

And yes, for all my friends out there, wishing you the very best. Mine is not a great score, but I am sure all of you would do amazingly well and score a 730+, or even higher on the GMAT. If I can be of any help to anyone, please feel free to reach out to me. Thanks a lot. :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hello! You mention: "my Sir's notes for SC"

Can you please let me know who your "sir" is and if he offers online help/coaching.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
what an inspiring story akshay ! Congratulations!!!
I was going through your test day brief and read the part where you wrote something about guessing all questions after q.28 - yet u managed a 48 in Quant.
Wondering if this means that the initial 10 questions are what count mostly?! I'm the kinds who get the initial few questions wrong more than the last few, because i rush towards the starting . The intent is to not miss out on the last few qns. Your post made me feel like this is not a very good strategy . Thoughts ? Also, i'll PM you my email ID. Please send your SC notes, if possible.

Thanks man! and Kudos for the great score 8-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ayushman wrote:
Hello! You mention: "my Sir's notes for SC"

Can you please let me know who your "sir" is and if he offers online help/coaching.

Hi, it's Parveen Chaudhary in Delhi. You can reach out to Rajiv Ganjoo, search him online, he managed Veritas India and organized these classes in Imperial Hotel, Janpath, CP, New Delhi.

Pm me if interested and I'll the share the numbers with you, cheers!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
surbhi87 wrote:
what an inspiring story akshay ! Congratulations!!!
I was going through your test day brief and read the part where you wrote something about guessing all questions after q.28 - yet u managed a 48 in Quant.
Wondering if this means that the initial 10 questions are what count mostly?! I'm the kinds who get the initial few questions wrong more than the last few, because i rush towards the starting . The intent is to not miss out on the last few qns. Your post made me feel like this is not a very good strategy . Thoughts ? Also, i'll PM you my email ID. Please send your SC notes, if possible.

Thanks man! and Kudos for the great score 8-)

Thanks for your kind words Surbhi, really appreciate them :).. Please PM me your email i and I'll share all the stuff I have talked about / have, that helped me in my GMAT journey.

Pertaining to what you said about quant strategy, I believe the correct strategy is a mixture of both our approaches. My idea was NEVER o leave any questions by intent. I missed them "coz I am slow". That's the truth. That said, I realized while giving GMAT Prep mocks that it was better to do the questions as they come and do them to the best of your availability. Also read widely across GMAT Club that first few questions are imp - so I think you should:

1. Focus more on those initial questions that you get wrong - what's the reason? Concentration levels? Figure this out and get rid of it, that's the first step toward becoming an awesome professional that you aim to be post an MBA.

2. Speeden up, as much as you can - at max, try that just 3 questions remain in the end, try and fluke as less as possible. It's not a good strategy at all. In fact, it's no startegy - it's just something you do because you know that not marking anything on the exam will call for more penalty than fluking them.

Will share the material once I have your email address. Feel free to call / discuss on a PM or here, whatever suits you. All the very best, I am sure you will do very well and outscore me :D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM

In the few mocks that i've written so far, i tend to finish both sections before time and that doesn't feel right . But like i mentioned earlier, i somehow rush in the beginning because i DONT want to get that panic in the end. This is why i asked about the imp of first few qns. Although some people keep saying that the first 10 questions can make or break your score, others say that every question is equally imp! May be i have to figure out a way to use my time more efficiently.
And as far as outscoring you is concerned, i'd be happy with anything above a 700 really :)
Somehow im weaker at quant ( confidence wise more so) . Hoping to write the exam within a month (hopefully that's not too late for 2015 admission! ) . Let's see where it goes .

All the very best to you for your applications :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
GMAT Date: 12-05-2013
Send PM
shraddhasahoo wrote:
Many many congrats to u....need a help can u plz share ur sc notes :)......thanks in advance .....

Posted from my mobile device

No problems Shraddha, just drop me a pm with your email id, will send 'em to you.

Consider giving kudos, if my posts help ;)

Hi akshay,

I am in a very similar situation but i has less time, Scored 560 Q40 and V27 on veritas and 500 Q38 V23 on mgmat, today i am going to write Gmat prep for the first time... :|

My target is 620+ on the real exam day which is on 5 dec( 2weeks from now).

Can you tell me what did you do to take a jump from 530-570 to 700?? what basics did you review?? :shock:

We have same same gmat mock scores and also i am taking gmat at yusuf sarai,new delhi. :)

Please help me, after reading your debrief cant tell you i am feeling so positive..:)

I need 60 more points jump....

I am posting the same post on your debrief incase you dont want to answer pm's.

Thank you
Manager
Manager
Send PM
PlanetEarth wrote:
shraddhasahoo wrote:
Many many congrats to u....need a help can u plz share ur sc notes :)......thanks in advance .....

Posted from my mobile device

No problems Shraddha, just drop me a pm with your email id, will send 'em to you.

Consider giving kudos, if my posts help ;)

Hi akshay,

I am in a very similar situation but i has less time, Scored 560 Q40 and V27 on veritas and 500 Q38 V23 on mgmat, today i am going to write Gmat prep for the first time... :|

My target is 620+ on the real exam day which is on 5 dec( 2weeks from now).

Can you tell me what did you do to take a jump from 530-570 to 700?? what basics did you review?? :shock:

We have same same gmat mock scores and also i am taking gmat at yusuf sarai,new delhi. :)

Please help me, after reading your debrief cant tell you i am feeling so positive..:)

I need 60 more points jump....

I am posting the same post on your debrief incase you dont want to answer pm's.

Thank you

I believe we spoke at that point of time. So how did it go?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderator:
Founder
37574 posts