Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 10:02 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: From Aringo: *Awesome* Application Self-Assessment Tool [#permalink]
I haven't seen any comments in the forums concerning the difference in class size for various schools and I would think this could be an issue when considering what schools to apply to. Harvard has 900 plus students in a class! Surely this affects your overall experience vis-a-vis developing relationships with profs and fellow students, participation in any and all academic or extracurricular activities, and feeling like you are a member of a community. They always ask what you think you can contribute to the school but how much can you contribute personally amongst 900 other students? Any comments?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It's 900 applicants, not 900 students in a class! Class sizes vary with the schools but the average is about 40 students to a class. That's still a big class but manageable for both students and faculty.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yeah. I'm new at this and was thinking of my undergrad classes, some of which had 300 students and more with closed-screen TVs in other rooms. But 900 seemed like a stretch! I would hope that at an advanced level classes would be much smaller.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Class size can depend on a few different variables. Some schools have a much smaller application pool and it also depends on what you're specializing in. If this is important to you, you should cross-reference this item when choosing which schools to apply to. I understand that for the most part, MBA classes are not like freshman undergrad classes with huge introductory lectures. I'm sure there's a heavy workload and it's intense but not generalized in the way undergrad classes are.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Good to hear. More like what you'd expect.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I don't think there's a big difference in class size between any of the top schools, maybe 10 people more or less. It's wouldn't be a factor in choosing schools. The main thing is your participation in the class, no matter what the number of students.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Speaking of participation, what are the other ways schools expect you to participate? There are a few references in the apps, even an essay, as to how you expect to contribute to the school and this mystifies me a bit. Are we expected to join clubs or newspapers? Are they talking about sports teams? I know that can be important. The work load is bound to be heavy and what if we don't have time for extra-curriculars?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
This must be a chance to tell them about your hobbies and interests i.e. photography, painting, tattooing, hacking, flagpole climbing... stuff that you can help out with or represent the school in, apart from your studies. Chess, backgammon, tiddlywinks?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OK but since they ask about this in the app, I'm wondering on what level this is important to them? Are we expected to involve ourselves in student government or a club? I'm sure these things can be beneficial to the student in different ways but what are the schools looking for with regard to involvement?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I assume they're looking to produce a well-rounded graduate, not just a geek. In the same way they want to know about your extra-curricular activities in your application, they want someone who gives back to the 'community' - in this case, the school. The school has a life, all sorts of clubs and activities that extend to the world outside academia and I think they consider this a vital part of your education. And they go a long way to making it worth your while.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'd like to be able to participate in a couple of school activities, I just hope that I will have the time. I'm still involved with one of my extra-curriculars in an ongoing way and I hear the workload for an MBA, especially in the first year, is pretty intense. But it would be good to be able to do something outside the curriculum. I'll have to see what's available!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A friend at Wharton said they have great clubs with well-known speakers and really tempting activities - even the bird-watching club looked interesting. But I think its important to the school, overall, to have you participate. If you're not a club person you can try to help in one of the academic departments.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guess you just have to find the time. I've always managed before and it's good to get away from academic studies and mix with other people on campus.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Your EC activities are an important part of your application and chances are good, if you get an interview, that you'll be asked about them and how they'll fit in to your participation in school activities. Don't underestimate this area in any of your application processes and be prepared to show some knowledge of what's available for each school.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
If you get to the interview stage you should definitely have visited the campus, even if its the day before. If you show some familiarity with the campus and other things going on there in general - lectures, drama, art galleries, convocation spaces - this will stand you in good stead.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I've been told that some familiarity with the campus and the extracurriculars is a big advantage.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
If you really want to get a feel for the campus, you should book a visit with the Admissions Office and they can put you in touch with people to ask about all your questions. They can arrange for you to get in to some classes while in session and also talk to people from one or two of the clubs you might be thinking of joining. Going through the Admissions Office is the best way to get the most out of your visit. And it's easy. Going a day or two before your interview, with no appointments or people to talk to, will not familiarize you with the campus in any way.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10