Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 04:49 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 04:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GRE 1: Q170 V167
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Re: Tuck (Dartmouth): Class of 2016- Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
mylittlesecret wrote:
need urgent advice:
I'm applying Tuck this year but just found I'm pregnant. If enrolled, I'll give birth in late September when school just starts. What are my choices?
Will Tuck allow me to defer one year in such circumsc?
If not, will Tuck allo me to enroll with pregnancy?

Tuck should definitely allow you to defer in this situation. Just let them know ASAP. It may be difficult to keep up with the workload during pregnancy/with a newborn.

I'm assuming you have been admitted?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thanks for all the replies! Yes I am international. Guess I need to talk with different parties to make a decision.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [8]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
There have been pregnant Tuckies. A T14 gave birth this year. There have been single mothers at Tuck with no family here to help. If you get in, Tuck will take care of you. It's what we do. We're family.

I'm just a student and I can't speak for the adcom about deferments, but I have a hard time believing that they'd deny a deferment to you over something like that. If you chose to come while pregnant, I think Sally Jaeger and the rest of the MBAPO would probably be eager to help you figure out how to manage it all. Besides, your baby will probably be the first TinyTuckie from your class. Everyone would be very excited!

This is a joyous time! Congratulations!

mylittlesecret wrote:
need urgent advice:
I'm applying Tuck this year but just found I'm pregnant. If enrolled, I'll give birth in late September when school just starts. What are my choices?
Will Tuck allow me to defer one year in such circumstances?
If not, will Tuck allow me to enroll with pregnancy?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Any news for Jan round applicants?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Darden - Class of 2016
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
spikey07 wrote:

I don't think there will be any news until 13 or 14 of March! Still a long wait :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Technology, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
Send PM
Tgt wrote:
spikey07 wrote:

I don't think there will be any news until 13 or 14 of March! Still a long wait :lol:

I havent even received an interview invite..too late for that now I guess :(
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Waiting, waiting, waiting...

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Because Tuck has an open interview policy and everyone who comes on campus is interviewed, very few people are ever invited to interview. There is absolutely nothing you can really read into this other than demographics about GMATclub forum users in different rounds.

-Current T'15, but not speaking for the AdCom

forfuture wrote:
Vroom wrote:
pirimidin1 wrote:
Has anyone received the interview invitation for Jan round?

Even I have asked the same question on the forum a few days back!! No one seems to be responding, so I am hoping that there still time!

Which country are you from?

I think class 2016 might be almost full, because there are very few interview invitations for Jan Round, based on my personal observations on the forum.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Housing at Tuck
There is a lot of housing within walking distance of Tuck. Some of it allows pets and some don't. In general, housing is in limited supply and rents are higher than you might expect. Be careful of what utilities are included in the rental price. Heating can be expensive in the winter. Most good apartments are passed down from one Tuckie to another (saving landlords a ton of work and keeping the good ones "in the family"). This means they almost never actually get officially posted anywhere online except for an internal Google doc (Google docs run the Tuck social life - I'm sure there will be one again this year). There will be housing tours at ASW. You can get a feel for the different options then.

As a current student with a partner and two cats, we found it easiest to locate a place in Sachem. We pay $1525 + $50 pet fee for a 2 bedroom / 1 bath end unit. You can pay more or less depending on unit. All utilities are included except electricity and our place is not heated by electricity. Living in Sachem, I actually get door to door drop off service in the Winter. If I lived off campus in town, I'd need to walk or take the in-town bus (this one runs every 10 min) during the Winter. I prefer the door to door. :)

Feel free to ask me anything about coming to Tuck with a partner, living with Sachem, or any other burning questions about student life you have. I am a female student with a male partner living full time in Hanover. Tuck helped him find a job and he now works for the Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth. We have no children, but Sachem is full of them. I definitely recommend Sachem to anyone with children.

F.A.Q.
What is Sachem?
A Dartmouth grad housing community for students with partners and children. It is the second largest concentration of Tuckies outside of the dorms.

Is Sachem walking distance?
No.

Is there a bus?
Yes, but only runs once an hour.

Do you ever take that bus?
Almost never.

Does this seem to be a problem?
Not even a little bit. We even share 1 car among the two of us. Sachem is 50-60% Tuck. You can literally just stand on the main road with your thumb out to hitch a ride to school at almost any time of day. Ride shares for getting to school in the morning and coming back at night are routine. There is also a dedicated Facebook group called Sachem Rides. Tuck is a 5-10 min drive from Sachem depending on traffic/route.

-Current T'15

View from our front porch after last week's snow storm:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzDcuhSRuHCIQjNRaHh0OWpTOFE/edit?usp=sharing-download_20140219_154122.jpg

senyi wrote:
DefyingGravity wrote:
Random question. Are any current Tuck students active on this thread? If so, can anyone tell me if there is housing close to Tuck (within 10 minutes walking distance) that would allow me to have a pet?

Someone asked a similar question in today's Chat with Tuck. Sachem Village if I remember correctly.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q42 V49
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
spikey07 wrote:
Tgt wrote:
spikey07 wrote:

I havent even received an interview invite..too late for that now I guess :(

Are all of the people asking about interview invites internationals who couldn't afford the time/money to visit the campus?

EDIT: (This is an honest question, I'm not trying to be a dick. I was just surprised to see people expecting interview invites when the school gives them to everyone who applies.)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: How do YOU de-stress?
Today some students found their happy in the company of furry friends!

Organized by the MBAPO (MBA Program Office) and Tuck's Quality of Life Chair, we had a room full of Tuck dogs ready and willing to play, cuddle, kiss, nuzzle, and take away ALL the anxiety that can come with being a busy student at a top business school.  Leave it to Tuck to come up with such a brilliant idea!

Numerous studies show that pets and therapy animals can help reduce stress in humans.  The below picture is just a small sample of the pups that helped raise everyone's spirits this afternoon at Tuck.  What a great day!

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hollaback wrote:

Are all of the people asking about interview invites internationals who couldn't afford the time/money to visit the campus?

EDIT: (This is an honest question, I'm not trying to be a dick. I was just surprised to see people expecting interview invites when the school gives them to everyone who applies.)

Quite possibly. I imagine the time/cost can make it prohibitive for most internationals.

I am an international but I interviewed on campus :-D I wanted to do everything I possibly could to improve my candidacy at Tuck as it's the only school I really, really, REALLY want to attend. I think I will be devastated if Tuck rejects me.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Darden - Class of 2016
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
bschoolaspirant9 wrote:
hollaback wrote:

Quite possibly. I imagine the time/cost can make it prohibitive for most internationals.

I am an international but I interviewed on campus :-D I wanted to do everything I possibly could to improve my candidacy at Tuck as it's the only school I really, really, REALLY want to attend. I think I will be devastated if Tuck rejects me.

Actually you're probably closer than many US applicants :D
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Ask Dawna - Which round should I apply in?
We're often asked which application round will maximize a candidate’s chance at admission. Tuck doesn’t designate a specific number of offers to each round, but rather bases offers on the quality and quantity of the applicant pool during that particular round. Though April is a bit more competitive since many spots in the class are full, we try to be equitable throughout. On that note, it’s best to apply with the strongest application possible, whether that means shooting for Early Action or April.

Bottom line, a strong application will stand out regardless of the round you apply in. Good luck as your prepare your applications – we look forward to reading them!

Our next application deadline is April 2, 2014
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
Send PM
hollaback wrote:

Most probably. I couldn't make it up to Hanover from India for the applicant-initiated interview. Luckily, I was given a chance to interview on Skype and am joining Tuck this fall.
I would assume all US applicants would be expected to take advantage of the open-interview policy (I thought Tuck was much more vocal about this than Duke or Kellogg).

In hindsight though, I wish I had visited!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Feeling hopeless waiting for the interview invitation from the school for Jan round.
Director
Director
Send PM
FROM Tuck Admissions Blog: Educational Opportunities at Tuck for Partners
Earlier this month, I attended the Center for Private Equity and Entrepreneurship's annual conference on Private Equity and Growth Ventures (here's the link to the 2014 conference agenda).  My husband is pursuing a career in PE post-Tuck, and I'm really interested in the industry as well, both personally and professionally.  I found the panel topics and keynote speakers to be really engaged, enthusiastic, and insightful, and I felt really lucky to have access to such a lineup of industry veterans merely by virtue of being a Tuck Partner.

Later this week, I'm actually attending another Tuck-sponsored conference, put on by the Center on Business and Society (website).  In this instance again, I'm invited/eligible to attend simply because I'm a TP (Tuck Partner).  I work full-time in development and philanthropy, so social impact and creating measurable social change is central so what I do for a living -- this conference's topics should also be right up my alley!

Taking advantage of speakers on Tuck's campus is just one way that TPs can tap into academic/learning opportunities happening at Tuck.  Many, many TPs audit a class (or several) during their time in Hanover.  Some go above and beyond what's typically required of auditors, and join teams of students and participate fully in final projects and presentations to classmates and professors.  I know of at least one partner who joined a group of students' First Year Project (FYP) -- the culminating experience of the first year of curriculum for Tuck students (link to article).  That group ended up winning $25,000 in funding at the annual Dartmouth Ventures conference last year (also put on through the aforementioned Center for Private Equity), and they're still together and competing for more funds this year.  Partners can participate in Tuck clubs (for example, female partners can take part in Women in Business activities).  There are also less formal learning opportunities being organized all the time (most recently, I heard of efforts to organize a language exchange program for students and partners, leveraging the many languages and cultures coalescing on Tuck's campus).

Not having attended other business schools, I can't speak to whether opportunities like these are available to spouses/significant others across all the schools you might be considering.  I can say, however, that Tuck welcoming partners in these ways has made an enormous difference in my experience as the partner of a business school student.  Incorporating partners like this also has a significant effect (in my opinion) on Tuck's overall culture, which I've found to be incredibly inclusive and collaborative, and one that considers all perspectives valuable--both in and oustide the classroom.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  63   64   65   66   67   68   69  ...  78   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts