Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 21:05 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Current Fuqua Student Blogs [#permalink]
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Duke MBA Classroom Student Experience (Reader Request)
A reader had made a blog post request to learn more about what the classroom experience is like in the Duke MBA. Thank you Sakthi for asking this! I'm glad that this was asked as it is an important experience that so far has been missing from this blog.  Please leave any future requests in the comments section in this post. I get email alerts for any comments so you can expect a response within the same day.
Continue reading »
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: How Much Does an MBA Really Cost? (II)
I had this post in my to-do list for a long, long time. Today, on my last day of spring break, I decided to pay some attention to my blog :). This is the second part of the series “How much does an MBA really cost” that I started almost a year ago -as always, … Continue reading →
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): CED Life Sciences Conference 2014
The CED Life Sciences Conference is the largest biotech event in the Research Triangle Park (RTP) and spans 2 days with over 1,000 attendees. You can check out the agenda for the 2014 conference here. Students have an opportunity to volunteer for one shift during the 2 days and in return get a discounted ticket price ($100) and access to the conference. A couple of MBA students from Fuqua and UNC Kenan-Flagler volunteered and it was a great time.
Continue reading »
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Duke MBA Fall 2 Courses
Fall 2 is the second 6-week term for the Duke MBA. 1st year students continue to take core courses and this is also when recruiting really heats up for the consulting and finance folks. Many student clubs also have their annual conferences this term. We learned from orientation back in the summer that Fall 2 is ranked the most stressful term in the entire Duke MBA experience by most students.

Continue reading »
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Spring 1 Duke MBA: Focus on Health Care
The Spring 1 term is not only memorable for the two major snow storms but also for its immersive health care experiences for Health Sector Management (HSM) students in the Duke MBA program. While we had a lot of opportunities during the Fall 1 & 2 terms in health care, Spring 1 definitely feels more focused on health care from an academic perspective.
Continue reading »
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: Blue Devil Weekend: Welcome Class of 2016!
Last weekend was the Blue Devil Weekend (BDW), an event where admitted students of the incoming class of 2016 came to Fuqua to experience what’s the environment like here at the Duke MBA, meet current students, and network with their future classmates. Above all, it was a chance for them to be sure that Fuqua was the … Continue reading →
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: The First Year of my MBA is Almost Over
And just like that, both Spring terms have gone by without almost noticing. It feels like yesterday when I was recruiting like crazy, doing interviews, and mock cases during Winter Break. Last week I had my last classes of the first year of my MBA. There was a mix of excitement, happiness, and sadness. On the one … Continue reading →
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: Summary of My First Year At Duke
That’s right! My first year at Duke is over! It went so fast that I can barely believe I am almost ready to start my summer internship. It’s been a much better, intense, fun, tough, rewarding, life-changing, incredible experience that I had imagined. My MBA at Fuqua has changed the way I see business, as well as … Continue reading →
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: A Consultant’s Life
I started my internship at Deloitte on June 2, and six days later I’m already on an airport, ready to fly out to visit my new client. I arrived early to the Hartsfield Jackson International Airport in Atlanta, so I decided to pay some attention to my blog. This is what I should expect for the … Continue reading →
Send PM
FROM Reaching the Thirties: Great First Year for the Spaniards at Fuqua
As an international, I always asked international MBA students about their recruiting experiences. If you are an international, I would encourage you to do the same when researching business schools. Meet and talk with as many students from your country as you can. Not only did they have to face the same challenges that you will … Continue reading →
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Fuqua Spring 2, Deep Dive into Marketing Part 1: Product Management
My apologies for the lack of posts lately. I've been totally immersed in my internship at Bristol-Meyers Squibb and haven't been able to find the time to write. Thank you for everyone who had emailed me about the blog - I'm gearing up to getting back to publishing one blog post a week. I know that many prospective students are starting to apply for Round 1 for the Class of 2017 and hope that my perspective as a second year MBA student may help.

Continue reading »
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Spring 2 Duke MBA: Deep Dive into Marketing Part 1 Product Management
My apologies for the lack of posts lately. I've been totally immersed in my internship at Bristol-Meyers Squibb and haven't been able to find the time to write. Thank you for everyone who had emailed me about the blog - I'm gearing up to getting back to publishing one blog post a week. I know that many prospective students are starting to apply for Round 1 for the Class of 2017. Now that it's July, the Class of 2016 will be joining us in Durham soon as well. I hope that my perspective as a second year MBA student may help.

Continue reading »
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Should you get an MBA or an industry position?
Please note: this post was written back in 2013 when I just started my MBA. I'll update this again later as now have more insights to share as an MBA student. In addition, the original target audience for this post are scientists, although general principles will apply to all backgrounds.

With the scarcity in academic job openings, many, if not most, life sciences professionals are considering industry positions. This was definitely the prevailing sentiment at the 2013 NIH career symposium. A commonly asked question at these events is, "should I pursue an MBA to enhance my resume, or should I just try to find a job at a company?"

Continue reading »
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Health Care Employment Stats for Leading MBA Programs
One helpful factor to consider when choosing which MBA program to apply to are the employment statistics. While almost all MBA programs have solid consulting and banking employment numbers, health care results are less consistent across schools.

I took a look at top 20 programs that were known for health care or had significant recruiting numbers for the industry. I then went on to each program's website and analyzed publicly available employment data to draw some comparisons between schools. Initially I wanted to look at biotech and pharma stats only, but very few schools offered that level of detail, so the following data is for all health care companies. Here's a rough look at the health care employment results between leading US MBA programs.
Continue reading »
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Spring 2 Duke MBA: Deep Dive into Marketing Part 2 Marketing Strategy
Taking Chris Moorman's Marketing Strategy course was essential to building my skills as a business thinker. Marketing has really evolved in recent years and is being more tied closely into business strategy. Focusing on the customer, then, is the role of any good marketing strategy and is thus key to a sustainable competitive advantage for a company.
Continue reading »
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Byron Sharp's How Brands Grow
This book was given to me as a gift from a very senior leader in marketing. I was told that the book would cover things that are not taught in MBA programs. After reading the book, I must say that I agree. In my marketing classes, I was intrigued by why established brands still spent so heavily on advertising and how brands actually measured advertising effects, while not controlling for confounding variables. This book looks at empirical evidence and proposes the laws of marketing.
Continue reading »
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua Current Student): Does School Location Affect Fuqua MBA Recruiting? Not for Pharma
A question I get asked a lot is whether Duke Fuqua's location puts students at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting for health care. My answer is no, because Fuqua is a target school for many companies that recruit MBAs and they make an effort to come to the Duke campus. However, I did not know objectively how Fuqua compared with schools that were local to health care hubs. I took some time and got some data from LinkedIn, and used the pharma industry as an example. Surprisingly, at least for pharma, Fuqua has a stronger presence than many local schools.

Continue reading »
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts