Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 04:52 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 04:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10018 [5]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ivey Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink]
FROM Ivey MBA Admissions Blog: Which MBA Program is Right for You?
With our Early Application Round just two months away on May 5, 2014, Ivey MBA Recruiting and Admissions Director Greg Yantz lays out three key things that should be part of the decision-making process.

I often see prospective students agonizing over which MBA program is best for them. It can be a difficult decision, and it is a lifelong one, but there are three things that I think can help as you work through the decision process.

1.       Experience a real class

Visit a real class with real students. It sounds simple, and nearly every MBA program allows for a class visit (it should raise red flags if they don’t), but you would be surprised how many people decide without having experienced an MBA class or the school where they are about to invest a significant amount of time and money. In my previous role as Director of Ivey Publishing, I visited business schools from India to Indiana and what struck me most was the fact that I could determine the culture within a few moments of setting foot in each of the buildings. Fit matters. Beyond just the experience in the program, this will be your network for life. Would you buy a car or house without seeing it?  Probably not, so visit an MBA program for a test drive and walk-through.

2.       Think short term AND long term

Yes, finding a job right after your MBA is important. You will have debts and will need to set yourself up for future success. But setting yourself up for the first job after an MBA is not the only thing to consider when choosing a program. Think ten years down the road. You won’t be able to go back in ten years and redo your MBA, so ask yourself which program will set you up for success in the longer term. Leadership skills such as communicating effectively, decision making, and managing ambiguity are increasingly important skills and they will carry you far over the long term. Are you thinking about what you will need ten-plus years out?

3.       Define your top three decision points

I often ask people what their key decision points are for choosing an MBA, and oftentimes no one can tell me. Be clear on what is most important to you. Is the pedagogy of the program important to you? Does the quality of your classmates matter to you? Do you care about the length of the program or the location? I propose writing down your top three decision points for comparison among programs. Then, as you interact with representatives from the programs, visit classes, and think about your

short- and long-terms goals, rank the programs on each of the three points.

One additional thing worth mentioning is that admissions representatives at all schools are here to help you with the decision and, specifically, each of the three suggestions mentioned here. Of course we’re proud of what our own schools have to offer, but I think you will find that everyone genuinely cares about what is best for you, and we all recognize that not every school will be a perfect fit. Helping you find that fit is what we’re here for. Good wishes for your decision!
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools: Stanford '16
Send PM
i believe it's important for applicants to know what happens to some people during the application process. i wrote this in the class of 2015 thread but feel everyone should get a well-round perspective before they apply for the class of 2016 intake.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ivey-class-of-2015-calling-all-applicants-160411-100.html#p1334239

Praetorian1 wrote:
long time lurker, first time poster...

i understand that GMAT Club is about making money, and that it is not a democracy, but I swear there have been so many deleted posts by moderators that i can't even count them all now. this is censorship at its finest.

i saw that Mediah had posted a detailed follow up on his ivey interview, and now it's been deleted!

did ivey get a hold of someone on the forum and threaten to pull advertising dollars?

Mediah, if you see this, is there any way you could PM me with some information on how your interview went? i didn't get a chance to read it all before it got censored.

And everyone who reads this, take note of my post...because I'm sure it will be deleted by the moderators shortly.

EDIT: ***nevermind, i just found it on an archived webpage. here it is in its entirety***

and my guess on the director in question has the initials G.Y., and he can be found on ivey's site.

Mediah wrote:
Hey everyone,

So I thought I'd share my interview experience as I did state that it did not go as I had expected it to go. I want to share some background first. I’ve been networking with Ivey for a couple of years getting to know faculty and staff, more directly with Chris Asper, all of them very professional and approachable. Great people. They have been very supportive and guiding throughout my application process. They have met with me frequently and have been providing advice along the way and have been very encouraging, in fact, pushing me to apply to their school.

The interview was scheduled to be over Skype, and I prefer in person interviews so I humbly asked for an in person interview and they accepted. Over the phone they prepared me for what to expect at the interview: Types of questions including why MBA, why Ivey, and told me that the interview itself will be more conversational and relaxed to confirm my fit to the school. I spent a few weeks preparing for this. Eventually, I received an itinerary. It was lunch/tour/interview. The tour went very well. During the tour I got to see the beautiful school and connect with a new member of the admissions committee. She again prepared for me a very relaxed and conversational interview.

When it came to the interview, I was greeted by an executive director (leaving name aside). When we entered the room and sat down, the first thing I was told was that my resume was crap. Now, my resume is a more functional resume and is used quite frequently in my corporate office for higher band levels, and was previously submitted for feedback to Ivey without receiving anything negative in return, so possibly a personal opinion. I was told by the interviewer that I should just say what I do because they couldn’t read the resume. I started to present my professional experience and about 15 seconds in I was interrupted and was told that response was terrible and that part of their role is to provide feedback to students so the interviewer wanted to give me an opportunity to start over while pointing out again that so far my resume and response hasn’t been great.

I assumed at this point that it might just be a stress test because I’ve been told throughout my professional career to date my interviews are extremely well handled, so I “started over”. At this point I was feeling very uncomfortable and more stressed than ever, my guard was brought down, opposite of what I was told to expect. The interview continued and whenever I responded I was abruptly interrupted frequently with a downplaying/discrediting response making me feel more unwarranted for the program. The interviewer continuously made me feel unwelcomed. Some examples of rough questions included what I thought my biggest challenge would be, and the response I received was “get over it”. The tone was very condescending and I felt like the interviewer was coming off as entitled. Now I’m not one to judge, but I do feel like the interviewer didn’t represent the school as had every other member of the school had done so in the past. It was very unprofessional.

At the end of the day, two weeks later I received a call stating that the interviewers opinion resulted in a rejection and gave me some constructive feedback on how to improve my application going forward. Of course I am disappointed as no one in the past had represented Ivey in this fashion, and for a couple of years they have been pushing me to apply because of my strong application… So to be turned down after a really rough interview is disheartening.

The advice I would provide is regardless of what faculty and staff, or anyone for that matter, prepares you for, you have to expect the worst. Be prepared to be grilled and defend yourself well. I would not request an in person interview, as an interview over Skype would be with alumni etc, and not an executive director.

Good luck to the rest of you, I will be working hard this year to continue to build my application, but I am hesitant to do so for Ivey because of the picture that was painted during the interview.

Mediah, if i were you, i wouldn't give up on Ivey. not for a second.

sure, the admissions people push people to apply...that's just because they want everyone and their sister to apply -- that way they can say they only allowed x% of all applicants into the program. it artificially inflates their #'s so they can use it in their recruitment process.

did the director (G.Y.) have some kind of ax to grind with you? seems as though he didn't even want to give you a chance. was there something you did to turn him off? sounds like no matter what your response was going to be, the director had it in for you the moment he heard you were applying. did you sleep with his boyfriend or something? perhaps you didn't fit the mould they are looking for (even though everyone else says you'd be a great fit)? from what you wrote, it looks as though you got declined the moment you asked for an inperson interview. and that's terrible.

what kind of constructive advice did ivey tell you when you didn't get accepted?

if i were you, i'd keep applying until you get in. maybe it was all just a test to measure your resilience and if you would get back up again after getting knocked down. and next time you get an interview, keep it as a skype interview and record it!

if you recorded your interview with GY, you'd be able to send that to the dean/chancellor of the university and show them how their executive director acts to potential mba students -- unprofessional and uncouth.

not only that, the biggest irony is that GY touts ivey this, ivey that, yet he himself isn't even an ivey alum!!!
Send PM
FROM Ivey MBA Admissions Blog: Video Blog – Two Ways to Stay Motivated While Studying for the GMAT
Studying for the GMAT requires focus and motivation. Chris Asper, Ivey MBA Recruiting Manager, draws from an unexpected source to share two tips on getting and maintaining motivation during the GMAT journey. Click on the image below to watch the video.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
FROM Ivey MBA Admissions Blog: Reflections on a year at Ivey
This time of year is always bittersweet for us. We say goodbye to one class the same week that another one starts its incredible journey through the Ivey MBA Program. Inevitably, our team starts to get a little reflective — we’ve developed relationships with those who are leaving us and are excited about what’s to come for those just starting out.

Having been with the school for over seven years now, candidates often ask me what it is I like the most about Ivey (usually in conjunction with the question “Why should I choose Ivey over X school?”) Though my answer may seem simplistic, it is the simple truth that the people make the Ivey MBA experience what it is. We get to meet so many talented, bright young leaders whose accomplishments (at such young ages, I might add!) truly amaze me. We also get to witness the significant transformation that happens to these people throughout their year here: the initially shy students who come out of their shells through case-method learning and supportive, encouraging classmates; those business undergrads who come to realize how much they really didn’t know before starting this program; and those with the ‘atypical’ backgrounds who were scared of coming into the program with no business knowledge; to see them participating, contributing, and enjoying the learning process. It’s such a rewarding experience for us to witness these students achieve their goals and leave the program more confident, inspired, and ready to lead than when they arrived.

Their development would not be possible without the constant support, encouragement, and guidance of Ivey’s faculty. They are more devoted to student growth and development than any I have heard of or witnessed through any other program. They know every student’s name and always commit whatever time is needed to ensure that each is living up to his or her full potential. Whether it’s staying after class to help those who are struggling,  encouraging and supporting contribution, or even just stopping to hang out when they see students in the halls or the cafeteria (or joining them for a drink or two!), Ivey profs genuinely care. The number one priority for these teachers is student success — and that success cannot be achieved within the confines of ‘office hours’ (note: Ivey faculty have an open door policy. No office hours exist here). It takes a special kind of faculty member to be successful at case-method teaching and Ivey’s faculty are world-class at being able to draw the most learning from each individual’s experiences and make it fun in the process. (If you’ve ever fallen asleep in a class before, you definitely haven’t been to an Ivey class!)

And of course, I can’t say enough about the alumni— a true family of people who are fiercely loyal to each other and the school. I’m still constantly amazed by their level of responsiveness when asked to help or support our initiatives, big or small: recruiting events, career recruitment, the Alumni partnership program, as guest speakers, at professional club events, alumni/student dinners, or even just an email exchange, phone call, or coffee meeting with a student. This culture of saying ‘yes’ is ingrained in everyone who comes through the doors of Ivey. It’s a pay-it-forward philosophy that can only be built over 90 years of shared experiences.

I consider myself incredibly lucky to come to work every day and to be surrounded by such a talented and committed group of people. We all truly believe that Ivey delivers the best MBA student experience and, every day, we work hard to make sure it’s the kind of transformational and life-changing experience that we are all so proud of.

So, to the MBA Class of 2015:Welcome. Get ready. You are in for the best year of your life.
Send PM
FROM Ivey MBA Admissions Blog: Why How You Learn is So Important
By: Greg Yantz, Director, Ivey MBA Recruiting and Admissions

If you are spending a lot of time on, and money for, an education, you want the school to be the very best at providing a method of learning that teaches critical analysis, developing solutions to complex problems, working with ambiguity, and more.

So what does Ivey do as a school that makes how you learn so unique? It’s difficult to describe without experiencing it, but one of our current students recently described it to me as “engaged learning.”  He said that a friend in another MBA program told him he has the best class right now because he’s never fallen asleep even once. Our Ivey student said, “People fall asleep? That could never happen at Ivey!” Why? Because learning at Ivey is a participatory process that involves constant interaction in order to discuss, debate, and share ideas.

In most Ivey classes cell phones and computers must be turned off, and most people wouldn’t consider turning them on anyway because they want to pay attention. It’s fast-moving in the classroom, and that isn’t all of it. Even before coming to the classroom there is individual reflection and background reading, then discussion and analysis takes place in learning teams with people from diverse industry and geographical backgrounds. Only then does it all collide in the high-energy classroom format.

I went through years of traditional, passive learning, and this active Ivey process was entirely new to me. Having embraced it in the classes I took at Ivey I don’t think I could ever go back. The case studies that Ivey uses as a basis for learning, though not the only tool, provide such rich discussion and understanding. They are all about real businesses and real people. Some are classics, like Starbucks, which are fun to discuss in the context of what we know today. Some are so new that the business in the case has not actually solved the challenges in question yet. Many are international, which provides insight into entirely different ways of thinking about business challenges. Our faculty write many of the cases themselves and those cases are then used in MBA programs around the world. Our Ivey Case-Method, however, is unique. Also, the fact that I could ask the author of the case, who did the research on the company, questions about what really happened deepened my learning. At times the protagonist in the case would be invited to speak to the class too.

You deserve to get the most out of your MBA experience. And your future employers will have expectations about what you can bring to the table as an MBA graduate. How you learn matters in preparing you.

Here is my pitch: visit each school and ask to sit in on a live class with real students (who are hopefully awake). At Ivey we have formal class visit days monthly (https://go.ivey.ca/events) and we will make it easy for you to come and visit. But if these won’t fit into your schedule we will find a class and a time that will.

We look forward to sharing the Ivey Case-Method experience with you soon.
Send PM
FROM Ivey MBA Admissions Blog: How the Ivey MBA is similar to CrossFit
For about a year now, I have had a new fitness passion — CrossFit. CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program that uses constantly varied functional movements performed at high intensity. The program is used by many police academies and tactical operations teams, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide. A CrossFit gym is different from a regular gym in that it doesn’t have any machines; instead, it is filled with equipment like barbells, kettlebells, medicine balls, climbing ropes, and Olympic rings. The program prioritizes compound exercises like squats, dead-lifts, bench-presses, and pull-ups instead of isolation exercises.It’s also different in that there is a prescribed workout of the day to complete, and everyone who shows up to the class is there to complete that workout together.

Even though I’ve only been doing CrossFit for a short time, I’ve found that there are many similarities between CrossFit and the Ivey MBA Program.

First, CrossFit uses a lot of compound movements. In one exercise, several muscle groups are being worked at the same time. This has many advantages:  more calories burned during exercise, a full body workout faster, and the simulation of real-world exercises and activities. At Ivey, our Case-Method of Learning puts you into the role of decision maker and simulates real-life business problems and real-world decision making. Often, problems span multiple business units, so you learn not only how each unit functions, but also how they impact one another.  In addition, you are working on your analytical, listening, and speaking skills.

CrossFit is both competitive and collaborative. Though I might try to lift more weight than others or to be amongst the first to finish the workout, we encourage each other to set a personal best lift/time or to complete the workout. It’s a community, just like Ivey. In the MBA program, students compete for contribution marks but everyone is encouraging and willing to help others learn and improve. At the end of the day, everyone wants to see others do their best and succeed.

CrossFit’s intensity is challenging. The workouts can be miserable, but it has taught me how to push through mental barriers and build mental toughness. When I complete a workout that is difficult, I feel proud and learn more about my capabilities. In the same way, the Ivey MBA is challenging. Within one year, you will accomplish far more than you ever thought you were capable of. When you’re pushed beyond your self-imposed limits, you learn just how capable you truly are.

Is CrossFit for everyone? In my opinion, no. It depends on your personality, prior injuries, fitness level, and goals. The Ivey MBA won’t be the right fit for everyone either. But, if you desire an intense experience, where what and how you are learning is relevant to the real world, you want to push yourself to challenge your limits, and you want to be part of a high-calibre community, then you must consider the Ivey MBA. Attend an event, book a one-on-one, and introduce yourself on our website to get the process started.
Send PM
FROM Ivey MBA Admissions Blog: How the Ivey MBA is Similar to CrossFit
For about a year now, I have had a new fitness passion — CrossFit. CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program that uses constantly varied functional movements performed at high intensity. The program is used by many police academies and tactical operations teams, champion martial artists, and hundreds of other elite and professional athletes worldwide. A CrossFit gym is different from a regular gym in that it doesn’t have any machines; instead, it is filled with equipment like barbells, kettlebells, medicine balls, climbing ropes, and Olympic rings. The program prioritizes compound exercises like squats, dead-lifts, bench-presses, and pull-ups instead of isolation exercises.It’s also different in that there is a prescribed workout of the day to complete, and everyone who shows up to the class is there to complete that workout together.

Even though I’ve only been doing CrossFit for a short time, I’ve found that there are many similarities between CrossFit and the Ivey MBA Program.

First, CrossFit uses a lot of compound movements. In one exercise, several muscle groups are being worked at the same time. This has many advantages:  more calories burned during exercise, a full body workout faster, and the simulation of real-world exercises and activities. At Ivey, our Case-Method of Learning puts you into the role of decision maker and simulates real-life business problems and real-world decision making. Often, problems span multiple business units, so you learn not only how each unit functions, but also how they impact one another.  In addition, you are working on your analytical, listening, and speaking skills.

CrossFit is both competitive and collaborative. Though I might try to lift more weight than others or to be amongst the first to finish the workout, we encourage each other to set a personal best lift/time or to complete the workout. It’s a community, just like Ivey. In the MBA program, students compete for contribution marks but everyone is encouraging and willing to help others learn and improve. At the end of the day, everyone wants to see others do their best and succeed.

CrossFit’s intensity is challenging. The workouts can be miserable, but it has taught me how to push through mental barriers and build mental toughness. When I complete a workout that is difficult, I feel proud and learn more about my capabilities. In the same way, the Ivey MBA is challenging. Within one year, you will accomplish far more than you ever thought you were capable of. When you’re pushed beyond your self-imposed limits, you learn just how capable you truly are.

Is CrossFit for everyone? In my opinion, no. It depends on your personality, prior injuries, fitness level, and goals. The Ivey MBA won’t be the right fit for everyone either. But, if you desire an intense experience, where what and how you are learning is relevant to the real world, you want to push yourself to challenge your limits, and you want to be part of a high-calibre community, then you must consider the Ivey MBA. Attend an event, book a one-on-one, and introduce yourself on our website to get the process started.
Send PM
FROM Ivey MBA Admissions Blog: Five mistakes MBA applicants make
….

This article was written by Ivey’s  Executive Director of Career Management and Corporate Recruiting, Sharon Irwin-Foulon. It was featured in this week’s Globe and Mail and we thought it was worth re-posting here!

So you’ve finally graduated from university and now you’ve got business school in your sights. In the rush to get into a school, MBA candidates forget that not every school will help further their career or even provide a good experience while they’re attending. Here is a list of some of the most critical mistakes we see MBA candidates make:

1. Go to whatever school accepts you (and/or offers you the most money). Doing an MBA is a big investment of time and money. Do you know what your objectives are going in? A school with a diverse and impressive network of graduates? High-quality classmates? Curriculum specific to your goals? Before accepting or applying to any school, ask yourself: Walking across the stage at graduation, how will I know this has been time and money well spent? Once you have that answer, you can dig in on the schools you are looking at to make sure they have a history of meeting those goals for their alumni. If you do your due diligence and goal-setting up front, you will be a great candidate for the schools you have applied to, and, in being so, your odds of being accepted along with a scholarship are likely to increase.

2. Believe that magazines publishing MBA rankings know what you need in an MBA. The MBA rankings publications are often the best-selling issues for many top tier magazines and newspapers. But is the rankings criteria set by these publications your criteria? Is it important to you that the school is renowned for research, or does the quality of student experience matter more? Does the number of faculty publications matter to you, or are you more interested in teaching quality? To be discerning about the decision ahead of you, you need to take a deeper look at the rankings and how each dimension is weighted. You might be surprised to find that those weightings don’t align with your own personal objectives in getting an MBA.

3. Get an MBA as soon as possible. A good MBA will not define you; instead, it will augment the great things you already bring to the table. Ivey’s Admissions pros like to see that you have moved along in your career, that you have learned more, received more responsibility, and have had the opportunity to demonstrate an ability to get stuff done. This is what MBA admissions professionals (and the world’s top recruiters) call maturity, good judgment, and influencing skills. Why does it matter? Because there is a saying in recruiting, “Past performance dictates future performance.” As you move along in your career, employers will care more about decision-making, communication and influencing skills; all things a great program will help you do better. This is why I typically recommend that applicants wait to do an MBA until they have at least 2 or 3 years of meaningful work experience. This is when the MBA becomes a great toolkit alongside all of the achievements that have given you star power up to this point. Yes, there are schools that will admit you early in your career, take your tuition and send you on your way. But with work experience to draw from, you can get so much more return on your investment from an MBA degree and it will take your career farther, afaster.

4. Ignore the admissions criteria. Think about your MBA or grad school degree as an investment. Because it is an investment, you need to care about the school’s admissions decision-making process along with its curriculum, professors and, just as importantly, your classmates. For the most part, schools have admissions processes and criteria that align with their own reputations. As more and more MBA schools are popping up globally, many top schools around the world are choosing to stay small, or are shrinking, so that they can be picky about whom they admit. The reputation of a school – and of those who graduate from it – depends on who they admit. My best advice: Pick a school that aligns with your own career and reputational goals. The school and program name will sit on your resume for the rest of your life. Pay attention to who else has that degree on their resume. Aside from seeking out alumni who have graduated from the school, dig deep on what the admissions criteria currently is: Are they trying to fill seats or do they have an intensive process for selecting high-quality candidates? Be picky and true to your goals.

5. Limit yourself to programs in your city. Okay, if this is your criteria for choosing a school, you missed all the other points above, and there isn’t much more to say about that.

Sharon Irwin-Foulon is Executive Director of Career Management and Corporate Recruiting at the Ivey Business School at Western University.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Schools: Stanford '16
Send PM