Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:32 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which one?

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.2
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
Re: Tough call... [#permalink]
I voted for Tepper.
1. You are accepted there
2. A little bit of money is better than no money
3. I did like Tepper way better than Johnson when visiting
4. Tepper is a great school to develop quant skills
5. The number going into Consulting is 33% at Tepper vs. 23% at Johnson
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks for the responses. I guess the only thing tha hangs me up on the consulting numbers at Tepper is that the may include some pretty heavy IT consulting rather than strategy work. I have no interest in IT work at all
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: CBS '16 (M)
Send PM
Take a look at this article. It's not yearly stats, but they did a search of LinkedIn profiles and found out how many alumni from a given school work for a given top consulting firm.

https://poetsandquants.com/2014/01/17/wh ... onsulting/
Manager
Manager
Send PM
So I just got the admit from Cornell and am still considerin this decision. I did not receiver a scholarship offer but here is what is giving me a hard time when trying to decide:

While Tepper has better placement in consulting for FT positions, they place weak in consulting internships. Conversely, it seems that almost everyone that gets a FT consulting offer at Cornell had an internship in consulting as well. I know that FT offers are ultimately what matters, but it is my understanding that most firms will do a tuition reimbursement for retuning intern's 2nd year tuition. There seems to be a higher chance of this at Cornell which would make up for the lack of scholarship.

Tepper: 15% internship, 31% FT
Johnson: 19% internship, 23% FT

Thoughts?

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by dthollow on 26 Mar 2014, 04:27.
Last edited by dthollow on 26 Mar 2014, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
dthollow wrote:

While Tepper has better placement in consulting for FT positions, they place weak in consulting internships. Conversely, it seems that almost everyone that gets a FT consulting offer at Cornell had an internship in consulting as well. I know that FT offers are ultimately what matters, but it is my understanding that most firms will do a tuition reimbursement for retuning intern's 2nd year tuition. There seems to be a higher chance of this at Cornell which would make up for the lack of scholarship.

I wouldn't overthink this aspect. Personally, I say remove $$ from the equation and think of where you'll be happiest. Yes the MBA is a means to an end, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy your experience.

In the end, both schools will get you where you want to go if you put in the work. It's too easy to get caught up in the numbers.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
dthollow wrote:
So I just got the admit from Cornell and am still considerin this decision. I did not receiver a scholarship offer but here is what is giving me a hard time when trying to decide:

Thoughts?

Any other thoughts on this? Still lost on my end
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
dthollow wrote:
dthollow wrote:

Thoughts?

Any other thoughts on this? Still lost on my end

I'd probably go to Cornell. What's getting missed in all of this is, two variables:
1) self selection
2) quality of consulting jobs

If you look at schools ranked poorly, in the 50's and 60's, most of them also send 30% of their class into consulting. But they are different caliber of jobs. The same thing is going here for Tepper. Cornell, despite sending a lower percentage of the class into consulting, sends many more people in tier 1 and tier 2 programs. Looking at employment report and class sizes, you have about a 50% higher chance of getting into a tier 1 or 2 firm from Cornell than Tepper. To me, that's worth an extra 10% cost of a MBA (the $20k scholarship you're giving up).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 394 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
GMAT 1: 730 Q52 V37
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
If you look at schools ranked poorly, in the 50's and 60's, most of them also send 30% of their class into consulting. But they are different caliber of jobs. The same thing is going here for Tepper. Cornell, despite sending a lower percentage of the class into consulting, sends many more people in tier 1 and tier 2 programs. Looking at employment report and class sizes, you have about a 50% higher chance of getting into a tier 1 or 2 firm from Cornell than Tepper. To me, that's worth an extra 10% cost of a MBA (the $20k scholarship you're giving up).

Interesting, how do you know Cornell sends more to tier 1/2 firms than Tepper? Where can one find this information? The only thing I can find is Businessweek, where they provide "Top Employers/Numbers Hired" - and they say that Tepper sent 7 students to McKinsey and Johnson, if any, sent less than 6.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
farful wrote:
mgh234 wrote:

Interesting, how do you know Cornell sends more to tier 1/2 firms than Tepper? Where can one find this information? The only thing I can find is Businessweek, where they provide "Top Employers/Numbers Hired" - and they say that Tepper sent 7 students to McKinsey and Johnson, if any, sent less than 6.

I based it on the linkedin analysis posted above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
farful wrote:
mgh234 wrote:

I based it on the linkedin analysis posted above.

Those are some interesting numbers, but does anyone have any idea how accurate they are?

Its surprising to me that Indiana and Texas have such a high percentage in the non MBB consulting roles. How competitive is it to land the non MBB consulting roles?
Director
Director
Send PM
The thing people tend to forget about consulting, especially in non-MBB, is that there are things other than management consulting at this firms. Many of these firms have HR and IT consulting, which is less competitive than management/strategy consulting. Likewise, many of these firms have non-client facing research positions, that are likewise not as competitive. Most of the tier 2 companies are also accounting firms, so people aren't even necessarily going into consulting when they head back to them. Lastly, outside the very top firms, things tend to be more regional, so in high population areas without a top school (e.g. Texas), the regional schools do well, but in that office only.

When researching UCLA, I reached out the management consulting firm, and was able to get break down of the type of roles. Actually, UCLA was MUCH more transparent than Duke (which is surprising, since UCLA does worse in Consulting), which was one of the reasons it made my choice to attend Kellogg easier - I didn't really fully "buy" the quality of positions in consulting Duke was getting students, since they wouldn't share those details. By comparison, 25% of the MC roles at UCLA were for non-MC positions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
The thing people tend to forget about consulting, especially in non-MBB, is that there are things other than management consulting at this firms. Many of these firms have HR and IT consulting, which is less competitive than management/strategy consulting. Likewise, many of these firms have non-client facing research positions, that are likewise not as competitive. Most of the tier 2 companies are also accounting firms, so people aren't even necessarily going into consulting when they head back to them. Lastly, outside the very top firms, things tend to be more regional, so in high population areas without a top school (e.g. Texas), the regional schools do well, but in that office only.

When researching UCLA, I reached out the management consulting firm, and was able to get break down of the type of roles. Actually, UCLA was MUCH more transparent than Duke (which is surprising, since UCLA does worse in Consulting), which was one of the reasons it made my choice to attend Kellogg easier - I didn't really fully "buy" the quality of positions in consulting Duke was getting students, since they wouldn't share those details. By comparison, 25% of the MC roles at UCLA were for non-MC positions.

Good point, how were you able to break down which roles were management consulting vs other types of consulting?
Director
Director
Send PM
webster11 wrote:
mgh234 wrote:

Good point, how were you able to break down which roles were management consulting vs other types of consulting?

I asked someone in the consulting club. I was actually impressed how transparent they were.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
So you are saying 75% consulting jobs out of UCLA is for MC? That's quite good actually.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts