Last visit was: 23 May 2024, 04:37 It is currently 23 May 2024, 04:37
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Need urgent help: Duke Fuqua vs Yale SOM for I banking [#permalink]
newdreamer wrote:
Thanks for such a quick reply thebschoollife.

I plan to come back to India (after spending 5-6 years in the US) and so am looking for a school which has a better name in India/internationally. Some ppl suggested that Duke might be a safer option considering that as it is trying very hard to establish its name internationally (not sure though).

I think Fuqua has made a concerted effort to expand globally via it's campuses in Delhi, UAE, etc. However, having been abroad on business in India and elsewhere - I don't really think the Fuqua MBA brand is significantly more established than Yale SOM, if not less. And I would think in places like India/China,etc the Yale university name would carry significant weight: more than compensating for the perceived strengths of the underlying b-school: SOM vs Fuqua.

Also, check into SOM's new Global Network for Advanced Management - which include schools like IE and INSEAD.

At this point, I obviously have an Yale SOM bias - but I think its a long-term play especially internationally. So I think it accomplishes both your goals: 1) Sets you up for IB 2) Gives you a solid brand when you go back to India.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 474 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Completely agree with posters above , Fuqua is strong consulting and healthcare management program. Yale is far superior in IBanking placements.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
It's probably a wash - or near wash - for bulge brackets (At Yale, DB and BAML don't recruit on campus, but all the rest do), but Yale also gets on-campus recruiting from elite boutiques such as Perella Weinberg and Peter J Salomon, amonst a few others, that Fuqua doesn't have (this from speaking with current students at each school).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
crackHSW wrote:
Completely agree with posters above , Fuqua is strong consulting and healthcare management program. Yale is far superior in IBanking placements.

Far superior???? 25 placed SOM vs 39 placed FUQUA ???? base salary the same. Duke has more BB, Yale more Boutiques. Far superior is a drastic over exaggeration. I would call it equal. As far as global brand I hear Duke has a better brand in asia. In the end you are splitting hairs. Both are awesome go where you want to spend 2 years.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
I’m not an expert on IBD recruiting; however, my perception is same as ctgmat123 and thisisatestonlyatest – Fuqua and Yale are on par for IBD, which Fuqua better at bulge bracket, and Yale better at boutique.

From international prestige perspective, Yale has more prestige hands down. However, it will have absolutely no bearing on your employment opportunity in India 5-6 years post-MBA. The biggest driver of your employability at the time would be your personal network, reputation, and work experience. The far second would be the business school’s network within India, in case you need to reach out to alums for a warm introductory for a job.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
asimov wrote:
I’m not an expert on IBD recruiting; however, my perception is same as ctgmat123 and thisisatestonlyatest – Fuqua and Yale are on par for IBD, which Fuqua better at bulge bracket, and Yale better at boutique.

From international prestige perspective, Yale has more prestige hands down. However, it will have absolutely no bearing on your employment opportunity in India 5-6 years post-MBA. The biggest driver of your employability at the time would be your personal network, reputation, and work experience. The far second would be the business school’s network within India, in case you need to reach out to alums for a warm introductory for a job.

Asimov said it perfectly.

If you're looking at immediate returns, I would look at employment records at both schools and determine if the banks people are interning at are ones where you'd want to work. Also consider if you would want to intern in the US/New York or if you want to go back to India for your internship. If you're looking at New York for the summer/near future, both schools will do a great job at getting your foot in the door. I would reach out to the Finance Club heads at both schools and hear their thoughts about your plans.

At the end of the day though, choosing a bschool isn't just about getting a job; you should also want to have a great 2 years with the people and the community at the school you attend. I hope you're able to visit both schools and experience the cultures for yourself.

Happy to connect you with Yale folks in finance, from India, etc if you need to. Actually, reach out to @maxkrewl here on GC and he should be able to get the conversation started too.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
I'd go with Fuqua...better BB recruiting, warmer area, and more fun.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts