Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 02:50 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [1]
Send PM
Re: DC and Virginia schools - Darden vs. McDonough vs. Smith [#permalink]
Kudos
merlion wrote:
Thanks for the input; I really appreciate getting a second opinion! As far as my plans and goals, I am just hoping to get the best education possible with a focus toward finance courses and without taking on student loan debt. One thing I really liked in learning about Darden was their really strong emphasis in teacher training and the quality of instruction. Networking and recruiting opportunities are always a plus, but since I already have a job I intend to go back to, those aren't the top priorities for me. At the Georgetown info session I attended, all the focus was on jobs and earning potential (not coursework), but I'm not sure if that's an indication that they focus less on the curriculum or if that's just what they're emphasizing in that early session to convince potential students it's worthwhile to make such a huge financial commitment.

You are welcome. McD has very rigorous curriculum as well, actually they have more core couses than electives. It is definitely the best in DC area in terms of what you can learn. I think the reason they emphasize on job placements and salary was to attract the main stream MBA applicants and as well, like you said, convince people that the high tuition is worthwhile (20k -50k difference than other programs in DC do make a difference). But Darden has even higher placement rates and starting salary, so I guess it is just one of the elements business schools focus on, as most of the full time applicants do not have sponsorships (not as lucky as you), and they do take an MBA degree as a bridge to a high paid job later. Most sponsored MBAs are in professional part-time or Executive program.

Btw, with your 10-year experience, you definitely can also apply for EMBA and it might be more fitting to your needs for going back to the same company, have you had a look at that?

Otherwise if you really want to do a full-time 2 year MBA, still Darden will be the best among all your choices so far, but again, try to think through about how to manage the distance with your significant other, and where do you want to stay and build up your connections during and post MBA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
dcMBA2014 wrote:
merlion wrote:

Btw, with your 10-year experience, you definitely can also apply for EMBA and it might be more fitting to your needs for going back to the same company, have you had a look at that?

Otherwise if you really want to do a full-time 2 year MBA, still Darden will be the best among all your choices so far, but again, try to think through about how to manage the distance with your significant other, and where do you want to stay and build up your connections during and post MBA.

I've considered the EMBA and part-time programs, but the main issue with that is that my office will pay whether it's a full-time program or a part-time program. However, if it's a part-time program, I have to keep working and still have the same commitment of years to return to the job, so I feel like I would get the most benefit by going full time and not killing myself with the schedule for those years. At this point I'm still planning to apply to all three schools, and I'm hoping I'll get some clarity after my visit to Darden in a few weeks and once I get decisions from the schools. For example, if Darden offers me nothing and Smith or McDonough offers 100%, I wouldn't pick Darden, even if it seems to be the better school.

Which school did you end up choosing, btw?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Send PM
merlion wrote:

Which school did you end up choosing, btw?

Still deciding.... :) You can see my post here
mcdonough-5k-vs-smith-95k-vs-gwu-90k-vs-kogod-73k-169074.html#p1347115

I will/have to decide soon in the next 3-4 weeks, so you may see my decision then. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
Full-disclosure I looked at Darden and Gtown and applied to the latter as a potential back-up.

Honestly, with your scores Darden is absolutely in play and the only one you should seriously be considering long-term unless you plan to just stay in your current field (government jobs tend to not put a huge premium on pedigree at the post-graduate level and more simply care about checking the box). Georgetown is okay if you plan on staying in DC and in your current job, but is still fairly shakey. As for UMD-Smith, I don't know much about it so I will refrain from comment.

At the end of the day if you ever plan on leaving government or even moving to a less civil service oriented position, Darden is the only way to go IMO.

Addendum: Given your scores and GPA, have you considered applying outside of DC? I mean you'd have a fair shout at any top 15 school, and depending on execution, HSW...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
Kudos
Flyte wrote:
Full-disclosure I looked at Darden and Gtown and applied to the latter as a potential back-up.

Honestly, with your scores Darden is absolutely in play and the only one you should seriously be considering long-term unless you plan to just stay in your current field (government jobs tend to not put a huge premium on pedigree at the post-graduate level and more simply care about checking the box). Georgetown is okay if you plan on staying in DC and in your current job, but is still fairly shakey. As for UMD-Smith, I don't know much about it so I will refrain from comment.

At the end of the day if you ever plan on leaving government or even moving to a less civil service oriented position, Darden is the only way to go IMO.

Addendum: Given your scores and GPA, have you considered applying outside of DC? I mean you'd have a fair shout at any top 15 school, and depending on execution, HSW...

I think this is a good idea, Wharton also isn't much further from DC than Darden. With your numbers most schools in DC are likely fairly safe and I would think you have a decent shot at a scholarship.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Flyte wrote:

Thanks, flyte and Webster. I appreciate the input. I have a lot of reasons for not wanting to apply to schools outside the DC/Virginia area.

Since I'm trying to do my MBA through a sponsorship (with the government), I have to take into account that they favor programs in the DC area, and with Smith and McDonough, I have a good shot at the sponsorship whether or not I get a scholarship. I figured Darden is close enough that if I get some kind of tuition assistance, my office might be willing to consider it, because it's feasible that I could come back and work during breaks, but I'm not willing to go much farther than that.

I know Wharton is only slightly farther, but I feel like that's such a top school that I probably wouldn't be able to get enough of a scholarship to motivate my office to let me go outside the DC area. Also, knowing that my office favors DC area schools, it would look kind of bad if I asked my supervisors to write me recommendations for schools to far outside the metro area, and on top of that, my boyfriend will continue working in the DC area while I'm in school, so I want to be within a reasonable distance.

But then again, the set of schools I'm considering has changed a lot from when I started my search, and R1 applications are still 6 months away, so it's highly possible that I'll change my mind again :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
merlion wrote:
Flyte wrote:

Thanks, flyte and Webster. I appreciate the input. I have a lot of reasons for not wanting to apply to schools outside the DC/Virginia area.

Since I'm trying to do my MBA through a sponsorship (with the government), I have to take into account that they favor programs in the DC area, and with Smith and McDonough, I have a good shot at the sponsorship whether or not I get a scholarship. I figured Darden is close enough that if I get some kind of tuition assistance, my office might be willing to consider it, because it's feasible that I could come back and work during breaks, but I'm not willing to go much farther than that.

I know Wharton is only slightly farther, but I feel like that's such a top school that I probably wouldn't be able to get enough of a scholarship to motivate my office to let me go outside the DC area. Also, knowing that my office favors DC area schools, it would look kind of bad if I asked my supervisors to write me recommendations for schools to far outside the metro area, and on top of that, my boyfriend will continue working in the DC area while I'm in school, so I want to be within a reasonable distance.

But then again, the set of schools I'm considering has changed a lot from when I started my search, and R1 applications are still 6 months away, so it's highly possible that I'll change my mind again :)

If you think you'll have time to work for the government part-time while attending a full time MBA, you are in for a rude awakening.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
noodlesnyc wrote:

If you think you'll have time to work for the government part-time while attending a full time MBA, you are in for a rude awakening.

Thanks for the response, noodlesnyc. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I was intending to work part-time while attending a full-time MBA, as I'm not planning to do that. I said explicitly that I would be expected to work during breaks only, meaning spring break, summer vacation, etc.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived UVA Darden Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our UVA Darden Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated UVA Darden Forum for all fresh things related to the UVA Darden MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts