GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Apr 2020, 18:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

McDonough $5k vs. Smith $95k vs. GWU $90k vs. Kogod $73k

new topic post reply Update application status  

McDonough vs Smith vs GWU vs Kogod

• 42% [9]
  • 47% [10]
  • 9% [2]
  • 0% [0]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE: Engineering (Other)
McDonough $5k vs. Smith $95k vs. GWU $90k vs. Kogod $73k  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2014, 11:46
Just got offers from all schools I applied, all admitted, and all with some kind of scholarships. I am very grateful for the results, especially considering that I applied to all schools in R2 or R3, and with very limited time for preparation (BABY ON BOARD!).

My background is environmental and quality assurance (certification business) with focus on renewable energy and energy efficiency. My post-MBA goal is to join top consulting firm’s sustainability consulting team and long term is to start my own consulting firm focusing on social and environmental sustainability, offering services towards governments, public and private sectors internationally.

I have only chosen 4 schools in DC/MD area mainly because of my family and my newborn baby; I used to have the dream of going to top 10 business school, but that dream was gradually replaced by my daughter’s smiley face :D. Since then I have decided the location of my school. Of course, DC is also the strongest area for federal consulting.

Most importantly, the schools I applied all have very well designed full-time MBA programs, and the people I have met so far are all extremely friendly and professional, at least those I had contact during my on-campus visits, information sessions, class visits, online chats, current students talks, alumni talks, and the admissions committee interviews.

All that being said, I still need some advice from all the experts and experienced MBAs, since I am an international applicant and has never studied in the US before (I studied in Asia and Europe), and do not really get the methodology behind all the rankings, as they appear to be not always consistent from one another. I know if only by looking at their rankings, it should be an easy decision to go for McD (even Smith (No. 24) was ranked once higher than McD (No.30) by BusinessWeek2012), but I still have the following questions to be answered:

1. McD is almost always ranked 5-10 positions higher than Smith and 30-70 higher than the other two programs, but in terms of consulting in environmental / sustainability fields, is it still so much better than all other schools (Smith, GWU and Kogod) and can justify the $110k tuition?

2. Considering the top location of GW (surrounded by IMF and WB, only few blocks away from the White house), and ranked consistently around 50-60, is its geographical advantage surpasses Smith in any way?

3. Kogod is a very sweet small program focusing highly on consulting, only 35-40 people per annual intake, in comparison to other’s 100 -200 intakes per year, it looks very beneficial from the career office support point of view, but is small always better?

4. I believe job placements are more based on your own efforts, motivation and determination, but I was always curious about the average salary published by different schools (in general) even they have very similar employers, does it indicate that with a different school name, you will have a different salary offer even when you take the same job as the other?

I am still researching and gathering information now, and may post further updates just for those who are also interested in schools between top 20 and 100.

Thank you all so very much in advance for your feedback, and I will be very appreciative to any comments and suggestions you want to give me. In case you don’t want to publish your advice, please feel free to send me PM any time.
Director
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Reviews Badge
Re: McDonough $5k vs. Smith $70k vs. GWU $90k vs. Kogod $60k  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Mar 2014, 12:13
Have you compared employment reports (what % enter consulting, what pay, what are top employers), that should make your decision easier. I doubt anyone on this board is going to be knowledgeable enough on all 4 program to give you accurate advice. It sounds like Smith would be best for you (almost as good as Mcdonough but way more money), but I'd be interested in hearing what the employment reports say. Small programs are bad generally, you don't get an alumni network, so I would say definitely not on kogod.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2014, 15:50
Thanks for posting! I don't know where to start. I have a lot of thoughts about school selection. They are often conflicting, so I hope you don't mind sifting through a lot of crap to find a nugget of wisdom :lol:

About Rankings and What they Really Mean (My personal opinion)

1. Yes job efforts are often based on personal drive but they are often based on meeting someone, getting to know someone in the industry that feels you fit into their framework or alumni base. Which school would be more likely to have alumni in your areas of interest? Additionally, top schools often have recruiters come on campus. Non-top schools do not. On Campus recruiting is not a guaranteed thing by any means, but that's nice to be wanted or at least have that impression.
2. Though worth nothing in practicality, a higher ranking school creates an impression of being vetted or more deserving. E.g. if a Financial planner said and proved he had an MBA from HBS vs. another guy with MBA from Boston University or University of Connecticut, which one would be more likely to trust/feel being vetted?
3. Finally, better schools attract better students and professors. Remember, you are not alone - all of those guys are also choosing based on the same parameters. So the caliber of faculty and peers will be different.
4. Having your tuition covered and having a break is a great option and a great card to have because 5 years after graduation when you have the job you always wanted in the company you wanted to work for where hopefully you will be getting promoted, your degree will not matter, rank will not matter, and nobody will even know or ask you where you got your MBA. The only way you can show off your $100K loan (which 5 years later you will still have), is by buying a $30 sweatshirt with school's logo. However, you have much better chances to get a better job right away and get a higher pay, so the trade off in terms of money is very often worth it.
5. At the same time, the main difference is MBA vs. just undergrad and what MBA enables you to do.
6. Going to the best school in town is also helpful. E.g. Georgetown is an aspirational school with many graduates hanging in around the DC area. That's the best place anyone could go, so you would get the respect of being the winner, the best vs. a second tier school, "me-too" type of thing. You know what I am talking about? This aspect is very important to some who must have the best and will not settle for less. Are you a person who needs to have the latest mode of iPhone the day it comes out or will you wait a year and buy it at a discount? Thing of it this way, are you willing to trade a starting position/salary for free tuition?

A few thoughts about the evaluation process:

My suggestion would be to first estimate if you can afford McDonough. Is it feasible so that you are not torturing yourself it is outside of reach with family and baby.
Second, would be to visit/sit in a class of both schools and compare them. There should not be any issues attending a class and seeing what caliber of students are there. Make sure you go to the first year class. Second year is a whole different ball game and won't give you a good impression. This will show you A) Profs, B)Students, and C)Teaching style and expectations. Try to attend at least 2 classes (for half time each). The reason I would suggest 2 is that the adcom is not dumb and they will stick you into the best class from the best prof... they have a job to do as well - convert you into a student.

Third, attend the admitted students weekend and try to meet as many people as you can. First impression are deceiving but you can often tell who the future classmates are. Ask them if they have decided. You may find many friends as chances are, you will all be considering the same schools

Fourth, if you really wanted to be scientific, create a grid and write down and then rank the schools. You will probably end up not with the one you want to go to (that's how it works for me, which I then proceed to fudge the numbers so that my gut choice looks better). ;-)

Fifth, you should ask adcom and look up stats for recruiting your target industry/job placement/etc. Try to get as much info as you can.

P.S. and final thoughts:

I probably would have gone for GWU when I was 25. I am older now and I feel I don't have as much time to "climb the ladder" and fight getting a job, so it is worth more for me to have a reputation of a school I could be throwing around (name dropping), having more prestige, and probably tigher alumni network of Georgetown but I am also much more financially secure today. At 25, I wanted an MBA and any type would work as long as I could afford it. Right now I am picky and willing to pay for the right thing. Just a different stage of life. There is no right choice for all, but each has its own.

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2014, 16:47
Thank you, mgh234 and bb, for both of your pragmatic advice!

I have just had a quick check on consulting placement rate and the average salary in consulting function for each school, hopefully will be useful for applicants of the respective school as well.

Rate / average salary / year of data
Kogod 46% $80,000 2013
GWU 36% $91,619 2013
Smith 26.90% $97,488 2013
McDonough 23% $117,745 2013

Also looking at the Entrepreneurship support program from each school and will post soon.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2014, 16:52
Similarly to you, I am debating between GWU and GT. I would leave GWU with no debt or leave GT with over 100k in debt. I am interested in consulting businesses in sustainable practices/ products, but I would like to return to public sector/ non-profit sector. (I was in the Peace Corps!) Have you decided yet? Anyone have any other suggestions?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2014, 17:22
willettl wrote:
Similarly to you, I am debating between GWU and GT. I would leave GWU with no debt or leave GT with over 100k in debt. I am interested in consulting businesses in sustainable practices/ products, but I would like to return to public sector/ non-profit sector. (I was in the Peace Corps!) Have you decided yet? Anyone have any other suggestions?

Hi willettl, thanks for posting and welcome on board! Will you join the Admitted Students weekend for both? Please PM me and we shall meet and talk more!
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2014, 17:28
I am thinking I will probably attend Georgetown's. I was in DC the weekend before GWs and I did not have the time, vacation and money to go back down a week later so unfortunately I only got to see GW during their spring break.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2014, 17:31
willettl wrote:
I am thinking I will probably attend Georgetown's. I was in DC the weekend before GWs and I did not have the time, vacation and money to go back down a week later so unfortunately I only got to see GW during their spring break.

Good for you, willettl! At least you already have a decision! I may still want to do some homework on the entrepreneurship side.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2014, 17:51
Sorry I meant I will go to the admitted students weekend at Georgetown not that I have decided to go there.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2014, 17:53
willettl wrote:
Sorry I meant I will go to the admitted students weekend at Georgetown not that I have decided to go there.

Great! Then see you there!
Manager
Manager
Re: McDonough $5k vs. Smith $95k vs. GWU $90k vs. Kogod $73k  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2014, 12:44
Updates: Just recently both Kogod and Smith offerred me further scholarship/fellowships, and now I have all three schools GW, Smith and Kogod with full tuition covered.

I still believe Kogod has a very well designed full time MBA program, but due to my focus on both consulting and entrepreneurship, I felt its relatively smaller size may not provide me with enough encounters to find potential partners for my future business (I may be still wrong in the end, you always lose something when you turn down an opportunity... ). So I have turned down their kind offer, so that the funding can be distributed to other outstanding candidates.

And now, GW vs. Smith vs. McDonough ...

GW-
Pros:
- Perfect location in DC, actually the best among all DC/MD programs, right in between WB and IMF, 2 blocks away from the Capital;
- highest rates for consulting placement among all three;
- plenty of job opportunities from International Organizations for international students;
- locally very well known;
- extremely close contact with big figures working in that area;
- shortest travel time for school (I take only public transportation, 35min door-to-door)
- full tuition covered, i.e. debt free......

Cons:
- ranked lower than other programs;
- internationally not as much well known as GT or Maryland;
- GW is not within the R1 tier of Institute in the US;
... what else?

Smith-
Pros:
- has longest history in MBA programs in DC/MD area;
- moderately high ranking; high rates for consulting placement;
- widest range of focus within the program design;
- strongest in e-Commerce and digital business, which is a big plus;
- the most flexibility in terms of credits for electives;
- Dingmen Center for Entrepreneurship is the oldest of its kind in the area;
- locally and internationally very well known;
- University of Maryland is within top R1 tier Insititute in the US and belongs to the Ivy Public Schools in the US;
- Many alums are also in the WB, IMF, etc.
- full tuition covered, i.e. debt free...

Cons:
- longest travel time to school (I take only public transportation, 1h20min door-to-door);
- domestically and internationally not as "Wowed" as GT;
- ... what else?

McDonough-
Pros:
- The most privileged school in town (DC);
- internationally well know due to GT name (GT is regarded as the best school besides Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton in the US, but mostly for undergraduate);
- high average starting salary in general and in consulting;
- biggest class size among all three (250 vs. 120 GW/Smith)
- extraordinary connections with high level figures in town;
- academically most rigorous (not sure for MBA it is a definite benefit or not, for PhD sounds awesome!)
- travel time 50 min door-to-door (only public transportation)

Cons:
- most expensive and few scholarships (110k debt);
- least credits to take electives;
- consulting is strongest in federal consulting, but not for international students due to security clearance issues;
- ... what else?

Just a quick thought, if you have more to add, please feel free to leave your comments.
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: General Management, International Business

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2014, 18:27
Yes, GU is the most prestigious, but is it $110K +interest more prestigious? If facing that decision and paying for it myself, I would probably go with Smith. If you're looking for those specialty courses in your field and additional networking, I believe you can go to one of your full scholarship options and still take 2-3 electives still at GU without facing extra costs. Doing something like that might also help you find more potential business partners and give you access to some extra recruiting events. Congrats on all your options!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2014, 19:04
merlion wrote:
Yes, GU is the most prestigious, but is it $110K +interest more prestigious? If facing that decision and paying for it myself, I would probably go with Smith. If you're looking for those specialty courses in your field and additional networking, I believe you can go to one of your full scholarship options and still take 2-3 electives still at GU without facing extra costs. Doing something like that might also help you find more potential business partners and give you access to some extra recruiting events. Congrats on all your options!

Posted from my mobile device

Thanks merlion! I am thinking the same as well, only that Smith's fellowship does not cover costs for Consortium courses, but I guess for 2-3 courses, I should be able to pay, better than 110k. In this case, GW's scholarship does a better job, covers everything in and out of school.

Anyway, I will go to the McD Welcome Weekend soon and will update after that.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 02 Apr 2014, 21:03
This is Amazing! Great news and a great set of options!
Good luck at the McDonough admitted student weekend

dcMBA2014 wrote:
Updates: Just recently both Kogod and Smith offerred me further scholarship/fellowships, and now I have all three schools GW, Smith and Kogod with full tuition covered.

I still believe Kogod has a very well designed full time MBA program, but due to my focus on both consulting and entrepreneurship, I felt its relatively smaller size may not provide me with enough encounters to find potential partners for my future business (I may be still wrong in the end, you always lose something when you turn down an opportunity... ). So I have turned down their kind offer, so that the funding can be distributed to other outstanding candidates.

And now, GW vs. Smith vs. McDonough ...

GW-
Pros:
- Perfect location in DC, actually the best among all DC/MD programs, right in between WB and IMF, 2 blocks away from the Capital;
- highest rates for consulting placement among all three;
- plenty of job opportunities from International Organizations for international students;
- locally very well known;
- extremely close contact with big figures working in that area;
- shortest travel time for school (I take only public transportation, 35min door-to-door)
- full tuition covered, i.e. debt free......

Cons:
- ranked lower than other programs;
- internationally not as much well known as GT or Maryland;
- GW is not within the R1 tier of Institute in the US;
... what else?

Smith-
Pros:
- has longest history in MBA programs in DC/MD area;
- moderately high ranking; high rates for consulting placement;
- widest range of focus within the program design;
- strongest in e-Commerce and digital business, which is a big plus;
- the most flexibility in terms of credits for electives;
- Dingmen Center for Entrepreneurship is the oldest of its kind in the area;
- locally and internationally very well known;
- University of Maryland is within top R1 tier Insititute in the US and belongs to the Ivy Public Schools in the US;
- Many alums are also in the WB, IMF, etc.
- full tuition covered, i.e. debt free...

Cons:
- longest travel time to school (I take only public transportation, 1h20min door-to-door);
- domestically and internationally not as "Wowed" as GT;
- ... what else?

McDonough-
Pros:
- The most privileged school in town (DC);
- internationally well know due to GT name (GT is regarded as the best school besides Harvard, Stanford, Yale, Princeton in the US, but mostly for undergraduate);
- high average starting salary in general and in consulting;
- biggest class size among all three (250 vs. 120 GW/Smith)
- extraordinary connections with high level figures in town;
- academically most rigorous (not sure for MBA it is a definite benefit or not, for PhD sounds awesome!)
- travel time 50 min door-to-door (only public transportation)

Cons:
- most expensive and few scholarships (110k debt);
- least credits to take electives;
- consulting is strongest in federal consulting, but not for international students due to security clearance issues;
- ... what else?

Just a quick thought, if you have more to add, please feel free to leave your comments.

Concentration: General Management

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2014, 05:37
Full scholarships to three different programs -- congrats!
Director
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2014, 06:11
Since you have a baby on board, I think honestly it comes down to whether you think you'll want to "lean in" or "lean out" of your career in 5-10 years (as the Yahoo CEO would say). If you plan to do to competitive jobs with longer hours, Georgetown is the best bet. If you think you'll want a 9-5 so you have more time at home, going to a school with a full scholarship covered is the best bet. Georgetown is by far the best choice for your career, and will more than make up the $110k difference....but you don't want to be in a situation in which you want to slow down, but can't, because of the high debt load.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2014, 07:09
mgh234 wrote:
Since you have a baby on board, I think honestly it comes down to whether you think you'll want to "lean in" or "lean out" of your career in 5-10 years (as the Yahoo CEO would say). If you plan to do to competitive jobs with longer hours, Georgetown is the best bet. If you think you'll want a 9-5 so you have more time at home, going to a school with a full scholarship covered is the best bet. Georgetown is by far the best choice for your career, and will more than make up the $110k difference....but you don't want to be in a situation in which you want to slow down, but can't, because of the high debt load.

While I agree that Georgetown is the highest rated and most respected school in the group, it looks like Smith isn't too far behind. To me that 110k seems like a lot to give up for a program that only seems slightly better.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2014, 09:56
bb wrote:
This is Amazing! Great news and a great set of options!
Good luck at the McDonough admitted student weekend

Thanks bb! Will post some thoughts here after the Welcome weekends (Smith's is coming next week! :))
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2014, 09:58
DefyingGravity wrote:
Full scholarships to three different programs -- congrats!

Hi DefyingGravity, thanks for the kind words!

I guess you are the one that to be "Wow"ed by most of the MBA applicants on this planet! All Top schools, all admitted! Where will you go now? ;)
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 03 Apr 2014, 10:55
mgh234 wrote:

mgh234, thanks so much for your comment! It is exactly what I am thinking right now, and probably will still keep thinking for the next 3-4 weeks at least (until McD's deposit deadline). I agree that GTU is the best school for what I have narrowed down myself to apply so far in terms of name and ranking, but as you also correctly said, whether I would like pay my next 5 years just for its name and of course of network and academic rigorousness, is still up to debate.

All that being said, I am trying to see whether there will be other scholarship or financial aids possibilities outside school, and see what I can do before the summer.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: McDonough $5k vs. Smith $95k vs. GWU $90k vs. Kogod $73k   [#permalink] 03 Apr 2014, 10:55

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

McDonough $5k vs. Smith $95k vs. GWU $90k vs. Kogod $73k

new topic post reply Update application status