Last visit was: 04 Jun 2024, 02:03 It is currently 04 Jun 2024, 02:03
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11  ...  45   
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 144
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V24
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Sales (Other)
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Current Student Blogs [#permalink]
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: Rotman Engineers in Management Perfect 10 Mock Interview

Today, I had a chance to participate in the Engineers in Management Perfect 10 mock interview. I had a great chance to be interviewed by seniors who gave me great advices. The advices were straight and very informational. I wasn’t ready. Even though I have done so many interviews in the past, my interviews were very poorly done. This is something I have to pivot and adjust.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: Last assignment of the terms

so many things I wanted to do, so little time. Life is full of regrets. I know what the answer is, but I just don’t seem to try to earn it.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua): Advice to First Years: Take Lots of Risks to Expose Your Weaknesses
One reason for doing the MBA is to have the freedom to try things that you would be too risk-averse or time-limited to do working full time. It's like buying time - you can pay $50,000 a year for the freedom to learn and explore things about the world that would not be possible with a day job. It would be a waste to not fully utilize this opportunity to genuinely improve yourself during the two year degree.

Continue reading »
Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: Finals ahead

(yes I drew that. I love drawing.)

I have to admit. MBA is tough. or it could be Rotman, but I have no data to compare relatively to other schools, so I will never know (I don’t think I will be doing another MBA at other school of course haha). Coming from electrical engineering, I thought I am pretty good at digging in and studying, but turns out I am not as good as I thought. Before you realize, you are already behind your studies due to group work and various school events which you must not miss.

I have to admit that I wasn’t always on track, but I have felt a need for the following:

1. Time Management

you really have to keep push yourself to get things done quick and fast.

2. Organization

There is just too much information to gather, collect and keep in track of.

3. Health

I literally can;t think if I sleep after 1am. After participating in one competition, I had to end up keep sleeping after 1-2am and that put me in a vicious cycle I couldn’t get out of.

I have to tell you, however. I knew it won’t be easy. What to do then?

You have to overcome your fears. Face it and fight, overcome what scares you.

More thoughts you put into things, more you become cautious and anxious. It gets worse when others’ inputs blind you from achieving your personal goal.

“Work on things as if you’re the master of the world, but listen to suggestions as if you have never done it before.”

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
FROM Defying Gravity - The MBA Journey: Congrats to HBS Round 1 Admits!
For those of you who got the golden ticket on Wednesday, congratulations! I still remember the sense of exhilaration and awe I felt after logging in to the portal and seeing "It's a yes!" It was a long journey for me, but it was definitely worth it.

A couple pieces of advice:
  • If you are deciding between multiple offers, go with your gut. Also, feel free to reach out to me (Send a PM on GmatClub, if you want to chat about the decision-making process).
  • Attend ASW. It's a great chance to meet other admits (some of the people whom I'm closest with now, I met during ASW).
  • Stay on top of the HBS checklist. There will be a million things you have to do between now and August, should you decide to enroll. The checklist felt never-ending (they'll continue to add new stuff). Pay attention and be mindful of deadlines.
  • Spend this weekend celebrating your success. You made it! You accomplished something awesome. 
Whelp, I need to keep this post short. We're in the middle of both finals and recruiting, so there's a lot to be done.

Congrats again!
Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: Final week of 2014dy

Final week of Term 1 Rotman is here. Frustrated? yes.

There was so much going on that I feel that I couldn’t use my time allotted appropriately (this blogging is an exception as I value keeping memories for my own good). Who knows, you just have to do your best.

Strategy, Finance, Accounting, and Statistics.

I will have to use my time as efficiently as possible in the next four days…plus 4 more days for personal training exam…oh man.

MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 510 Q29 V31
GMAT 2: 590 Q32 V38
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
FROM Sarah's MBA Journey: Short and long term career objectives
For my Cambridge essay I have to write down by short and long term career objectives as a part of the personal statement. Easy enough I said, done it all last year. Wrote the essay, gave it to my friends to comment. The end result: I need to go back to the drawing board on career objectives.

The long term

The short term I’m fairly clear on, but the long term. Well that hazy, really hazy. So in my month of searching I’ve had several ideas from running a successful regional theatre, fixing the next Detroit, fixing tescos to being a business school lecturer.

As all the long term ideas are a bit crazy, I’ve gone for the classic wanting to work for the World Bank when I’m older.

Skills needed in the future

The next challenge is that I also need to be clear what skills I have and what I need for my future career. To help with that I’ve gone the for classic of trawling through guardian jobs and Linkedin and to find out what skills Chief Executives need; if only more of those jobs were advertised with person specifications.

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: End of Term 1

Perhaps known as the toughest term in the entire 2 years of Rotman MBA has ended (of course I heard it gets harder, but nonetheless).

It started with an excitement, and ended with a lot of learnings, enlightenments, and regrets.

I thought I will do a lot better than when I was an undergraduate with a fresh mind, and resolution, but I failed to overcome tiredness and anxiety that engulfed me during my term 1.  My completion of term 1 wouldn’t have been possible without the help of knowledgeable and helpful professors, scholars, TAs, and my good friends. Professors were always more than happy to reach out and help, even the stupidest questions. I wouldn’t call it stupidity, but there is only ignorance, and lack of knowledge. School is here to evaluate and execute all your ideas without failure other than GPA. You don’t need to feel bad here as we are all researchers, students, and experimenters who want to accomplish and make the world a better place no matter which paths we take.

What went well:

• Not giving up
What didn’t go so well:

• Failure to maintain physical wellness
  • Failure to study as hard and prepare as well as I hoped for.
  • Failure to manage time
After the end of the last exam, statistics, we were greeted by 2nd year students, pizzas, and beer. Beer tasted fresh, cold, and…bitter. Taste left with anxieties and regrets of the past four months. Feeling of uncertainty, and that maybe I could’ve tried harder and better made me feel uneasy. Surely, there is no such thing as a certainty in our lives, but because we always find rooms for improvements, that’s why there are uncertainties.

I don’t really want to end this blog post with an old-fashioned, predictable words such as ‘ but there’s always hope, things will get better. I will try harder next time and stuff.’ But I don’t really know how to end this post to be honest. Such a boring post to write about especially when it’s Christmas.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport

Finally, I had a chance to go to the new Goldring centre right beside Rotman building today. It’s also a part of an initiative for the Pan Am 2015.

First impressions:

1. Awesome NEW building.

Every.thing.is.new. WOW.

They even got dyson airblade in the change rooms with private shower stalls.

2. kilos for weights

I found it very awkward using dumbbells that have kilograms written instead of pounds (lb). Perhaps it is because to allow international sportsmen to use them at ease. They do have a conversion chart on the wall, but I had a hard time getting used to it.

3. Fat dumbbell grip

Also something that I felt uncomfortable although it gives a better performance from my understanding.

So far, not many people know about this place, but once it gets crowded, who knows how it might end up? but now that we got an exercise facility right beside our school building, it’s time to exercise!

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
FROM The Oxford Comma: Post MBA: Week Six Mini Update
It’s now been exactly six weeks since the graduation ceremony that was held at the Sheldonian and I think it’s a good time to give a mini update on where things stand.

Housing

If you are planning to stay back and look for jobs after graduation, your first dilemma will center around your post graduation location i.e Oxford or London. There are pros and cons to either location and you should make the decision based on your situation. My initial impulse was to stick around in Oxford as it would have been much more convenient to move  my things to another location in Oxford. Furthermore, I would have been able to use the library and other facilities in the business school. However, I found that it was really difficult to find short term housing in Oxford, and I reluctantly abandoned my plans to stay there.

I eventually wound up moving to South London with three of my classmates. London is more expensive than Oxford but it does have a few advantages. Oxford is very different from the outside world and after a year there, you can find yourself in a bubble. Moving to London in some ways feels like moving back into the real world and this can be useful in the job search process. I am also able to attend events and network with product managers in London by attending Meetups and I do not think it would have been as easy if I did not live here. The last reason may seem trivial, but it’s also an opportunity to live in London for a while and experience what the city has to offer.

I would say that in terms of numbers, approximately 20 students from my class chose to stay back in Oxford, while around 50 or so moved to London. The London numbers also include those who found work and hence moved there to begin their jobs.

Job Hunting

In the past six weeks, I have had three job interviews. One did not lead to an offer, while I am still in the interview process and waiting to hear back from the other two. The visa issue is frustrating as there have been three other companies in the UK that wanted to interview me but could not as they would have been unable to sponsor my work visa. I have had pretty good results applying to technology companies in Berlin. This is probably very specific advice to those looking to work at technology companies, but as Berlin is trying to establish itself as a hub for technological entrepreneurship in Europe, there do seem to be some opportunities there.

I have been speaking to my Indian classmates who are here looking for jobs and the good news is that many seems to be getting invitations to interview and are hopeful of receiving job offers. The economic climate has improved and things do seem to be better for our class than the batch before us. However, it is also true that a few have left and returned to India as they did not feel that their prospects were good. The standard for most business schools is to report the employment numbers three months after graduation. Hence I think it would be premature to pass judgement until then. I will give a jobs update in mid December and hopefully a clearer picture will emerge.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
FROM The Oxford Comma: Post MBA: Two Month Update
Many of my classmates and I have been receiving queries from MBA aspirants who are interested in applying to SBS. The questions are usually focussed on the career opportunities after graduating from Oxford. This is understandable as many of them plan to take on massive amounts of debt and cannot repay them unless they obtain employment in the UK/EU.

It’s very difficult to give a good answer to these questions as it really depends on a range of factors. The individual’s background is a factor, the position that they are attempting to shift into is a factor, the macroeconomic picture (which no one can predict, so please stop asking!) is a factor. I honestly feel that the best way to answer these questions is to look at the careers report of the business school. However, SBS will not update the report of this year’s class until April/May 2015 which is rather late. There is also the issue that the report is an average and does not break down the statistics by nationality, visa status etc.

Therefore, I have compiled a small report on the careers situation this year. I have done this by looking at LinkedIn profile updates and by talking to my classmates. I have restricted the report to the Indians in the class, but it’s representative of any nationality that requires visa sponsorship to work in the UK or EU. These numbers are not 100% accurate as I am sure there are a few who have received offers and have not made it public yet.

The sample size was approximately 45 students. I have only considered those who were interested in working in the UK. Some left right after graduating because they wanted to pursue opportunities in India and thus I am not considering them in this report. The 15% that you see in the chart are those who were pessimistic about finding jobs here and then left. Most of those who are employed, are working in the consulting sector.

The purpose of this report is to to accurately represent the situation here. Many seem to think that Oxford MBA graduates will have no trouble finding jobs but this is simply not the case. There is a lot of hard work required to find any job, let alone a dream job. I should note that almost everyone who is still here is interviewing with at least one company, hence I expect these numbers to improve in a month’s time. I will update these numbers at that time.

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: End of Term 1

Perhaps known as the toughest term in the entire 2 years of Rotman MBA has ended (of course I heard it gets harder, but nonetheless).

It started with an excitement, and ended with a lot of learnings, enlightenments, and regrets.

I thought I will do a lot better than when I was an undergraduate with a fresh mind, and resolution, but I failed to overcome tiredness and anxiety that engulfed me during my term 1.  My completion of term 1 wouldn’t have been possible without the help of knowledgeable and helpful professors, scholars, TAs, and my good friends. Professors were always more than happy to reach out and help, even the stupidest questions. I wouldn’t call it stupidity, but there is only ignorance, and lack of knowledge. School is here to evaluate and execute all your ideas without failure other than GPA. You don’t need to feel bad here as we are all researchers, students, and experimenters who want to accomplish and make the world a better place no matter which paths we take.

What went well:

• Not giving up
What didn’t go so well:

• Failure to maintain physical wellness
  • Failure to study as hard and prepare as well as I hoped for.
  • Failure to manage time
After the end of the last exam, statistics, we were greeted by 2nd year students, pizzas, and beer. Beer tasted fresh, cold, and…bitter. Taste left with anxieties and regrets of the past four months. Feeling of uncertainty, and that maybe I could’ve tried harder and better made me feel uneasy. Surely, there is no such thing as a certainty in our lives, but because we always find rooms for improvements, that’s why there are uncertainties.

I don’t really want to end this blog post with an old-fashioned, predictable words such as ‘ but there’s always hope, things will get better. I will try harder next time and stuff.’ But I don’t really know how to end this post to be honest. Such a boring post to write about especially when it’s Christmas.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

Current Student
Send PM
FROM uwengdori - Current Student: Goldring Centre for High Performance Sport

Finally, I had a chance to go to the new Goldring centre right beside Rotman building today. It’s also a part of an initiative for the Pan Am 2015.

First impressions:

1. Awesome NEW building.

Every.thing.is.new. WOW.

They even got dyson airblade in the change rooms with private shower stalls.

2. kilos for weights

I found it very awkward using dumbbells that have kilograms written instead of pounds (lb). Perhaps it is because to allow international sportsmen to use them at ease. They do have a conversion chart on the wall, but I had a hard time getting used to it.

3. Fat dumbbell grip

Also something that I felt uncomfortable although it gives a better performance from my understanding.

So far, not many people know about this place, but once it gets crowded, who knows how it might end up? but now that we got an exercise facility right beside our school building, it’s time to exercise!

MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 510 Q29 V31
GMAT 2: 590 Q32 V38
WE:Research (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
FROM Sarah's MBA Journey: Cambridge MBA application submitted
I submitted my Cambridge MBA application in on time. But do have to say I took a laziez faire approach to the whole submission thing. Even went to the cinema the night before for a movie preview. I have to say reapplying is just much easier, done most of the thinking and have a better understanding of the process.

The process

Overall the application form was easy to use and well laid out. Could only find one bug. Would only make one suggested improvement. Have the PDF preview button within the main application site. Who wants to press submit until they are ready?

Essays

There were more essays than they initially suggested. Instead of two I was expecting I ended up I writing closer to five. The career objectives essay was specially odd. Found it really difficult to write, took me seven drafts to get a story I was happy with. Even tried to get some hint and tips from the MBA consultants essay analysis; not convinced their approach was that useful with a 500 word count limit.

References

My reference is usually really good, and chasing needed. However had a look at Christmas Day and no submission or even opening of the link. Got a bit worried. Chased him on Monday and he said thanks the reminders, he just forgot to load it up. So people, do chase, send reminders to references, they don’t mind.

Conclusion

The Cambridge MBA tries to make the application straight forward. It’s something they have largely achieved.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
Send PM
FROM From Bench to Board (Fuqua): Is Getting An MBA Worth It?
Yes, that age-old question: is the $120,000 MBA worth it? Successful business people have both advocated and renounced the degree for reasons you've probably already read or heard about. Now that I'm almost done with my MBA, I figured it would be a good time to start thinking about this question. After all, any investor would want to know what return their getting on their investments. Education should be no different.
Continue reading »
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM