Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 07:04 It is currently 02 May 2024, 07:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [23]
Given Kudos: 4460
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65038 [10]
Given Kudos: 429
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620697 [9]
Given Kudos: 81728
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32931 [0]
Given Kudos: 4460
Send PM
Re: In which one of the following choices must p be greater than q? [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
In which one of the following choices must p be greater than q?

Note that we are asked "which of the following MUST be true, not COULD be true. For such kind of questions if you can prove that a statement is NOT true for one particular set of numbers, it will mean that this statement is not always true and hence not a correct answer.

A. 0.9^p = 0.9^q --> \(p=q\). Discard;
B. 0.9^p = 0.9^2q --> \(p=2q\) --> if \(p=-2\) and \(q=-1\) then \(p<q\). Discard;
C. 0.9^p > 0.9^q --> if \(p=1\) and \(q=2\) then then \(p<q\). Discard;
D. 9^p < 9^q --> \(9^{p-q}<1\) --> \(p-q<0\) --> \(p<q\). Discard;
E. 9^p > 9^q --> \(9^{p-q}>1\) --> \(p-q>0\) --> \(p>q.\) Correct.

Answer: E.

Bunuel thanks for the explanation very clear. This was a tricky problem and sometimes I have the propensity to over calculate: I'm wrong ??' do you have a suggestion ?? of course I guess to have idea in which direction I have to go but is not enough to beat problems at high level.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1492 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE:Operations (Insurance)
Send PM
Re: In which one of the following choices must p be greater than q? [#permalink]
if x^2 >x^3 : we write x^2-x^3 >0 ie we subtract and dont divide
in this case we are dividinge is that right?

Bunuel wrote:

Note that we are asked "which of the following MUST be true, not COULD be true. For such kind of questions if you can prove that a statement is NOT true for one particular set of numbers, it will mean that this statement is not always true and hence not a correct answer.

B. 0.9^p = 0.9^2q --> \(p=2q\) --> if \(p=-2\) and \(q=-1\) then \(p<q\). Discard;

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620697 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
devinawilliam83 wrote:

Bunuel wrote:

If its given that x^2<x^3 then since x^2>0 then we can reduce by it and write x>1;

But if its given that x>x^3 then since we don't know the sign of x then we can not reduce by it and should rewrite: x(x^2-1)<0 --> (x+1)x(x-1)<0 --> x<-1 or 0<x<1.

Check this for more - Solving Inequalities:
x2-4x-94661.html#p731476
inequalities-trick-91482.html
data-suff-inequalities-109078.html
range-for-variable-x-in-a-given-inequality-109468.html?hilit=extreme#p873535
everything-is-less-than-zero-108884.html?hilit=extreme#p868863

As for \(9^p<9^q\). Since \(9^q\) is positive for any value of q we can divide by it and write \(9^{p-q}<1\) --> \(p-q<0\).

Hope it helps.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65038 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
devinawilliam83 wrote:

If the variable is given to be non zero, you can divide in an equation and if you also know the sign of the variable, you can divide in an inequality too. (and adjust the inequality according to the sign of the variable)

e.g. \(x^3 = x\). What values can x take?
x can be 0 so we don't divide.
\(x^3 - x = 0\)
\(x(x^2 - 1) = 0\)
\(x = 0, 1, -1\)

Here, if you forget about 0 and divide by x, you get x^2 = 1 so x = +1 or -1. You lose out one solution: x = 0

But in case you have
\(x^3 = x\). What values can x take if x is non zero?
Now you can divide and you will get x = 1 or -1

Similarly, say you have an inequality: \(x^2 > x^3\)
If you divide by x^2 thinking it's non negative, you get the range x < 1 which is incorrect since you have to specify that 'x cannot be 0'. It holds for every value less than 1 other than 0.
\(x^2 > x^3\) does not hold for x = 0.

So instead, you can choose to solve in two ways:

1. Take cases and use division: \(x^2 > x^3\)
If \(x \neq 0\), we can divide. We get x < 1.
If x = 0, the inequality does not hold. Hence, \(x \neq 0\)
Answer: x < 1, \(x \neq 0\)

2. Subtract: x^3 - x^2 < 0
x^2 (x - 1) < 0
One of the terms must be negative and the other positive. Since x^2 cannot be negative, x - 1 must be negative (so x < 1) and x^2 must be positive so \(x \neq 0\)

Either way, you will get the same answer (obviously!)

In this question, as Bunuel said, \(9^q\) must be positive. It cannot take value 0 or negative for any value of q so there are no complications at all. You can easily divide.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
devinawilliam83 wrote:

If the variable is given to be non zero, you can divide in an equation and if you also know the sign of the variable, you can divide in an inequality too. (and adjust the inequality according to the sign of the variable)

e.g. \(x^3 = x\). What values can x take?
x can be 0 so we don't divide.
\(x^3 - x = 0\)
\(x(x^2 - 1) = 0\)
\(x = 0, 1, -1\)

Here, if you forget about 0 and divide by x, you get x^2 = 1 so x = +1 or -1. You lose out one solution: x = 0

But in case you have
\(x^3 = x\). What values can x take if x is non zero?
Now you can divide and you will get x = 1 or -1

Similarly, say you have an inequality: \(x^2 > x^3\)
If you divide by x^2 thinking it's non negative, you get the range x < 1 which is incorrect since you have to specify that 'x cannot be 0'. It holds for every value less than 1 other than 0.
\(x^2 > x^3\) does not hold for x = 0.

So instead, you can choose to solve in two ways:

1. Take cases and use division: \(x^2 > x^3\)
If \(x \neq 0\), we can divide. We get x < 1.
If x = 0, the inequality does not hold. Hence, \(x \neq 0\)

2. Subtract: x^3 - x^2 < 0
x^2 (x - 1) < 0
One of the terms must be negative and the other positive. Since x^2 cannot be negative, x - 1 must be negative (so x < 1) and x^2 must be positive so \(x \neq 0\)

Either way, you will get the same answer (obviously!)

In this question, as Bunuel said, \(9^q\) must be positive. It cannot take value 0 or negative for any value of q so there are no complications at all. You can easily divide.

One little thing Karishma.

If its given that \(x^2<x^3\) then it's clear that \(x\neq{0}\) thus \(x^2>0\) and you can safely reduce by it and write \(x>1\).
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65038 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

If its given that \(x^2>x^3\) then it's clear that \(x\neq{0}\) thus \(x^2>0\) and you can safely reduce by it and write \(x>1\).

Sure Bunuel, I understand that one can see that when \(x^2>x^3\), x cannot be 0. But since here, you get x < 1, a range that includes x = 0, we need to specify that x can take any value less than 1 except 0. The point I am making here is that if you only reduce it and write 'x<1', it's not correct. I think you got a typo 'x > 1' above.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

If its given that \(x^2>x^3\) then it's clear that \(x\neq{0}\) thus \(x^2>0\) and you can safely reduce by it and write \(x>1\).

Sure Bunuel, I understand that one can see that when \(x^2>x^3\), x cannot be 0. But since here, you get x < 1, a range that includes x = 0, we need to specify that x can take any value less than 1 except 0. The point I am making here is that if you only reduce it and write 'x<1', it's not correct. I think you got a typo 'x > 1' above.

Actually I do have a typo but not the one you pointed above: in 4 posts above I considered x^2<x^3 (not x^2>x^3) which when reduced gives x>1.

So, it should read: if its given that \(x^2<x^3\) then it's clear that \(x\neq{0}\) thus \(x^2>0\) and you can safely reduce by it and write \(x>1\).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Jones '15 (M)
Send PM
Awesome post VeritasPrepKarishma and Bunuel! Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thanks for merging the topics Bunuel. I am new to this forum and still need to find my way around here!

About the question: even when I read the whole explanation it still does not makes sense to me.. I am having a real hard time mastering the maths section for the G-mat. My background in maths is far from average sadly. But from what I have learned so far I would say that when M = -4 and N = 2 the expression is still right but M is not bigger than N. Please help me on this one!
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9257 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Expert Reply
MarcvR wrote:
The answer is E but I don't understand why. If M = -4 and N = 2 then \(9^m > 9^n\) is still correct but M is not bigger than N right?

No, that is not correct. If M = -4, then 9^M = 9^(-4) = 1/9^4, which is a positive number extremely close to zero. It is certainly less than 9^2 = 81.

In general, the bigger you make x, the larger the value of 9^x will be. This is true whenever your base is greater than 1. So if 9^y > 9^z, then y > z, and vice versa.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Wait I am making a huge mistake here..
\(-2^3\) doesnt equal \(2^-3\) of course.

So when an exponent is negative the result will go towards zero and can be written as a fraction right?

Edit: You are right Ianstewart! Thanks for the quick answer. I am still having a real hard time mastering the math section! But I will get there!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1370 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply

(A) 0.9^p = 0.9^q
(B) 0.9^p = 0.9^2q
(C) 0.9^p > 0.9^q
(D) 9^p < 9^q
(E) 9^p > 9^q

Since the bases are equal, p and q must be the same for A and B. Those choices can be eliminated.
At this point I would substitute values for p and q in choices C and D, keeping mind to also try positive and negative values for p and q. You will find that p has to be less than q for the inequalities in C and D to hold true.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
carcass wrote:

(A) 0.9^p = 0.9^q
(B) 0.9^p = 0.9^2q
(C) 0.9^p > 0.9^q
(D) 9^p < 9^q
(E) 9^p > 9^q

i solved in slightly more than 1 minute...do not forget to take into consideration p=q=0.
1. p=q=0 - out
2. p=q=0 - out
3. p<q - not satisfying the condition. out.
4. p<q - not satisfying the condition. out
5. p>q - good.

answer must be E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Only option ‘e’ necessarily requires p > q to be true.
Hence, e is the answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 824 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93004 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts