Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 19:40 It is currently 19 May 2024, 19:40
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [61]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42113 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 530 Q40 V23
GPA: 3.56
WE:Analyst (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: At issue in the proceeding is whether the gaming firm can verify that [#permalink]
iikarthik and VeritasPrepKarishma

Nice question indeed. Added to PDF.

However, can you please provide the official explanation ?

following the topic...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Send PM
Re: At issue in the proceeding is whether the gaming firm can verify that [#permalink]
Bookmarks
The OA is:
Solution: A

Explanation: While unusual sounding, the original sentence is correct. This is more easily seen after using the slash and burn strategy. The original says: “…at issue is whether the firm can verify two things, using these tools.” – a perfectly acceptable structure The “among several other tools” at the end is classic “garbage” that should be removed (after you make sure it is correctly used) . In (B), the easiest error is the placement of “among other tools” away from what it needs to modify. This is a classic example of a dangling modifier. (C) and (D) both leave out the important “in”: you cannot say “verify that the site’s users are over 21 and a legal state”. For (E), the “among other tools” is again misplaced, suggesting that the “state or country” are among other tools. Answer is (A).
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 640 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
honestly i did not like this question as the PROCLAIMED answer is WRONG as per me

reasoning: "using special identification and location software" is ADVERBIAL in nature and hence it will modifying the PRECEDING clause "the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country," ----->This interpretation does not make sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT Date: 08-04-2015
Send PM
aditya8062 wrote:
honestly i did not like this question as the PROCLAIMED answer is WRONG as per me

reasoning: "using special identification and location software" is ADVERBIAL in nature and hence it will modifying the PRECEDING clause "the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country," ----->This interpretation does not make sense.

Hi,
I too felt 'using' is used little awkwardly. I would like to add one more thing. Recently, I read somewhere:

On the GMAT, a correctly used COMMA + VERBing modifier typically involves the VERBing form of an ABSTRACT VERB.
Official example:

Animal-hide shields with wooden frames were essential items of military equipment, PROTECTING warriors against enemy arrows and spears.

But, here we have "using special identification and location software", a VERBing form of an PHYSICAL VERB.
So, I think, had the Q been an official one, we would have seen other correct answer choices apart from A.

Thanks.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2766 [4]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Kudos
At issue in the proceeding is whether the gaming firm can verify that
    the site’s users are
      over 21 and
      in a legal gambling state or country,
using special identification and location software, among other tools.

I could not find anything particularly incorrect with given sentence but was skeptical regarding verb+ing phrase using.
it can modify the whole sentence thereby explaining how gaming firm can verify or imply an effect of sth.

B--can, with the use of special identification and location software, verify that the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country, among other tools.
among the other tools is misplaced and refers to country instead of software.

C--can, with the use of special identification and location software, among other tools, verify that the site’s users are
    over 21 and
    a legal gambling state or country.
This indicates that users are over 21 and they are a state.
users cannot be a country or state.

D--can verify that the site’s users are over 21 and a legal gambling state or country, with the use of special identification and location software, among other tools.
same error repeats as in C.

E--can verify that the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country, among other tools, using special identification and location software.
modifier misplaced error as in B repeats here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Hi guys,

I was unable to comprehend the meaning of the sentence. As per the sentence, the gaming firm verifies 2 things:-
1)the site’s users are over 21
2) in a legal gambling state or country - This is where I am having problem.

How can one say gaming firm verifies in a legal gambling state or country. Shouldn't it be the gaming firm verifies the site’s users are over 21 in a legal gambling state or country.
The use of and makes the meaning weird.

Please tell me where I have mistaken.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 15290 [3]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
adashis wrote:
Hi guys,

I was unable to comprehend the meaning of the sentence. As per the sentence, the gaming firm verifies 2 things:-
1)the site’s users are over 21
2) in a legal gambling state or country - This is where I am having problem.

How can one say gaming firm verifies in a legal gambling state or country. Shouldn't it be the gaming firm verifies the site’s users are over 21 in a legal gambling state or country.
The use of and makes the meaning weird.

Please tell me where I have mistaken.

The gaming verifies two things:
1. whether the users ARE over 21.
2. whether the users ARE in a legal gambling state.

The verb "are" covers both the items joined by "and", i.e. " over 21" and "in a legal gambling state or country". (The verb "verifies" does not cover "in a legal gambling state or country".)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Yes that explains the sentence, thanks a lot Sayantan.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
Concentration: Finance, Technology
Schools: Carroll '20
GMAT 1: 650 Q40 V38
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Out of curiosity, if Option C included the missing 'in' before 'a legal gambling state...' would it be considered better than option A?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 731 [0]
Given Kudos: 199
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Business Development (Other)
Send PM
Hi experts can you please explain how the usage of verb-ing ( Using) is correct in the original sentence.
It should modify the preceding clause ,hence the usage is incorrect.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 728 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hello egmat VeritasPrepKarishma,

In Option A, I think the usage of verb-ing modifier is incorrect

When we use a verb-ing modifier preceded by a comma, it can perform any one of the following 2 functions mentioned below
1. Telling us about the result of the preceding clause
2. Describing something (non-essential) w.r.t the preceding clause
Needless to say the verb-ing modifier should make sense with the "Subject" of the preceding clause

Now coming back to Option A in this question

[quote]using special identification and location software, among other tools[quote]

My initial feeling says that this modifier is giving some description, but it doesn't make sense with the subject of the preceding clause i.e. The site's users

So According to me Option A is incorrect.

Please correct if my understanding is wrong over here. Thanks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1614 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
iikarthik wrote:
At issue in the proceeding is whether the gaming firm can verify that the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country, using special identification and location software, among other tools.

A--can verify that the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country, using special identification and location software, among other tools.

B--can, with the use of special identification and location software, verify that the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country, among other tools.

C--can, with the use of special identification and location software, among other tools, verify that the site’s users are over 21 and a legal gambling state or country.

D--can verify that the site’s users are over 21 and a legal gambling state or country, with the use of special identification and location software, among other tools.

E--can verify that the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country, among other tools, using special identification and location software.

Every answer choice has modification issues. A seems the best but "using" after comma seems somewhat incorrect.

Here "relative clause" starting with "that" succeeds the comma + Verb-ing, and this nonsensically implies that site's users are using

special identification and location software. But the actual meaning of the sentence is that "gaming firms" are using these

technologies.

But still A is best among availables.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Nice question. Took me a couple of minutes to figure out the answer though. B,D,E can be eliminated. Between A and C, A is slightly better because C tends to change the meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
Nice question. Took me a couple of minutes to figure out the answer though. B,D,E can be eliminated. Between A and C, A is slightly better because C tends to change the meaning.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
At issue in the proceeding is whether the gaming firm can verify that the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country, using special identification and location software, among other tools.

A--can verify that the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country, using special identification and location software, among other tools. --> correct
B--can, with the use of special identification and location software, verify that the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country, among other tools. --> "software, among" should be together
C--can, with the use of special identification and location software, among other tools, verify that the site’s users are over 21 and a legal gambling state or country. --> not parallel
D--can verify that the site’s users are over 21 and a legal gambling state or country, with the use of special identification and location software, among other tools. --> not parallel
E--can verify that the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country, among other tools, using special identification and location software. --> "software, among" should be together & among after software
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Veritas Prep OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

While unusual sounding, the original sentence is correct. This is more easily seen after using the slash and burn strategy. The original says: “…at issue is whether the firm can verify two things, using these tools.” – a perfectly acceptable structure The “among several other tools” at the end is classic “garbage” that should be removed (after you make sure it is correctly used) . In (B), the easiest error is the placement of “among other tools” away from what it needs to modify. This is a classic example of a dangling modifier. (C) and (D) both leave out the important “in”: you cannot say “verify that the site’s users are over 21 and a legal state”. For (E), the “among other tools” is again misplaced, suggesting that the “state or country” are among other tools.

Answer is (A).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
iikarthik wrote:

(A) can verify that the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country, using special identification and location software, among other tools.

(B) can, with the use of special identification and location software, verify that the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country, among other tools.

(C) can, with the use of special identification and location software, among other tools, verify that the site’s users are over 21 and a legal gambling state or country.

(D) can verify that the site’s users are over 21 and a legal gambling state or country, with the use of special identification and location software, among other tools.

(E) can verify that the site’s users are over 21 and in a legal gambling state or country, among other tools, using special identification and location software.

POE:
A) Correct
B) "among other tools" needs to be closer to the clause its modifying.
C) Users cannot be a state....
D) same as C
E) "among other tools" also seems misplaced here. Although I'm not 100% on this, I think it would be more clear that it is modifying software if it was palced at the end of the sentence. I think B is just a better version of E
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6929 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts