Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 12:26 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 12:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [1]
Given Kudos: 428
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 125
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 2385
GMAT 1: 460 Q28 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q39 V27
GMAT 3: 610 Q39 V35
GMAT 4: 650 Q42 V38
GMAT 5: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
Re: When new laws imposing strict penalties for misleading corporate discl [#permalink]
KarishmaB GMATNinja

Quote:
C) Even before the new laws were passed, the information most corporations released was true.

I picked C because if the information about corporations was true even before the laws were passed, then it's likely that the predictions of the analysts have been inaccurate all along. This would also explain why the accuracy did not improve after the new laws.

Quote:
E) The more pieces of information corporations release, the more difficult it becomes for anyone to organize them in a manageable way.

E is much harder to justify because if increased info is making organization of info difficult, then the inaccuracy should have increased. But perhaps this is where the trap lies: given the conclusion does say that inaccurate info has not decreased, it could mean that it has either stayed the same or increased.

Nonetheless, if presented with a similar question, I'm not sure I'd be able to justify picking a choice such as E over C.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [0]
Send PM
Re: When new laws imposing strict penalties for misleading corporate discl [#permalink]
Expert Reply
achloes wrote:
KarishmaB GMATNinja

Quote:
C) Even before the new laws were passed, the information most corporations released was true.

I picked C because if the information about corporations was true even before the laws were passed, then it's likely that the predictions of the analysts have been inaccurate all along. This would also explain why the accuracy did not improve after the new laws.

Quote:
E) The more pieces of information corporations release, the more difficult it becomes for anyone to organize them in a manageable way.

E is much harder to justify because if increased info is making organization of info difficult, then the inaccuracy should have increased. But perhaps this is where the trap lies: given the conclusion does say that inaccurate info has not decreased, it could mean that it has either stayed the same or increased.

Nonetheless, if presented with a similar question, I'm not sure I'd be able to justify picking a choice such as E over C.

(C) is problematic because we are given in the argument that "amount and accuracy of information disclosed" would increase under new law.
So even if whatever the corps were releasing was true, perhaps they were hiding important information.
For example, if they were telling the truth about their assets but hiding their liabilities, it would still lead to misleading analysis. We now expect to get more and more accurate information so we would expect our analysis to get better.

(E) makes sense because along with the advantage of the new law, it introduces a problem associated with it. That could neutralise the advantage and hence could be responsible for similar number of errors in the analysis as before.
The new law is bringing in advantages as per the argument and there is no debate about that. What we have to show is why our analysis may still be the same, accuracy wise.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
GMATking94 wrote:

Hi Experts GMATNinja KarishmaB Bunuel fiftyoneverbal

I completely agree with the reason of (E) being the correct answer in comparison to (D) which is shaky in its reasoning. But is it not irrelevant with the question argument? What if there are more sophisticated methods available with the analysts to review the piece meal information? After all there should be some improvements in the analysts models when some info is inducted into that model...I think so...

I mean it puts more importance to the difficulty of processing that information.

I am not arguing with the answer provided in the official Q but want to know where did I go wrong in my thinking??

Thanks!

The question asks us to find the answer choice that "best" explains the discrepancy in the passage, not the one that perfectly resolves the discrepancy. So we're just looking for the option that provides a better explanation than the other options, even if that answer choice isn't 100% airtight.

(E) tells us that "the more pieces of information corporations release, the more difficult it becomes for anyone to organize them in a manageable way." We know from the passage that the new laws have provided an "increased amount[...] of information."

Putting these two things together, we know that the analysts have a more difficult job managing information under the new law. This new difficulty could, to some extent, counterbalance the helpful things about the new law. So, (E) provides an explanation for the discrepancy in the passage.

Could there be improved models, as you've said? Potentially, but we really don't have any information to support that inference. More to the point, even if there are outlier cases in which (E) isn't a perfect explanation, it still does a better job than any of the other answer choices.

(E) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GMATking94 wrote:
generis wrote:
When new laws imposing strict penalties for misleading corporate disclosures were passed, they were hailed as initiating an era of corporate openness. As an additional benefit, given the increased amount and accuracy of information disclosed under the new laws, it was assumed that analysts' predictions of corporate performance would become more accurate. Since the passage of the laws, however, the number of inaccurate analysts' predictions has not in fact decreased.

Which of the following would, if true, best explain the discrepancy outlined above?

A) The new laws' definition of “misleading information” can be interpreted in more than one way.

B) The new laws require corporations in all industries to release information at specific times of the year.

D) Analysts base their predictions on information they gather from many sources, not just corporate disclosures.

CR56601.02

I completely agree with the reason of (E) being the correct answer in comparison to (D) which is shaky in its reasoning. But is it not irrelevant with the question argument? What if there are more sophisticated methods available with the analysts to review the piece meal information? After all there should be some improvements in the analysts models when some info is inducted into that model...I think so...

I mean it puts more importance to the difficulty of processing that information.

I am not arguing with the answer provided in the official Q but want to know where did I go wrong in my thinking??

Thanks!

Though GMATNinja has already explained it brilliantly, I would like add one last point here:

Look at the question stem: Which of the following would, if true, best explain the discrepancy outlined above?

So we need to assume that the data given in the option is true.

The more the information, the more difficult it is to organize in a manageable way. Perhaps which piece will be useful where in the model becomes difficult, perhaps analysts make errors in collating the pieces for the model - we don't know. The point is, it brings in new difficulties and that's what we are told.

Hence, it doesn't matter what our logic tells us from our real world experience, the point is that if it were true that more info is hard to organize properly, then would it explain why accuracy has not improved?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 198 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
GMATking94 wrote:
generis wrote:
When new laws imposing strict penalties for misleading corporate disclosures were passed, they were hailed as initiating an era of corporate openness. As an additional benefit, given the increased amount and accuracy of information disclosed under the new laws, it was assumed that analysts' predictions of corporate performance would become more accurate. Since the passage of the laws, however, the number of inaccurate analysts' predictions has not in fact decreased.

Which of the following would, if true, best explain the discrepancy outlined above?

A) The new laws' definition of “misleading information” can be interpreted in more than one way.

B) The new laws require corporations in all industries to release information at specific times of the year.

D) Analysts base their predictions on information they gather from many sources, not just corporate disclosures.

CR56601.02

Thanks!

Though GMATNinja has already explained it brilliantly, I would like add one last point here:

Look at the question stem: Which of the following would, if true, best explain the discrepancy outlined above?

So we need to assume that the data given in the option is true.

The more the information, the more difficult it is to organize in a manageable way. Perhaps which piece will be useful where in the model becomes difficult, perhaps analysts make errors in collating the pieces for the model - we don't know. The point is, it brings in new difficulties and that's what we are told.

Hence, it doesn't matter what our logic tells us from our real world experience, the point is that if it were true that more info is hard to organize properly, then would it explain why accuracy has not improved?

KarishmaB , GMATNinja

Can you please state more statements that if true can help explain this given discrepancy ?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64976 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
samagra21 wrote:
Can you please state more statements that if true can help explain this given discrepancy ?

Usually, you can explain a given discrepancy in various ways. That is why pre-thinking is not very useful in such questions.
Here, if we say that the most important pieces of info on which the accuracy of predictions depend are still not available under these laws, then also we can explain the paradox.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 547 [0]
Given Kudos: 186
Concentration: Finance, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.74
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
generis wrote:

CR56601.02

Was stuck between A and E.
The error I made- I thought that even when the information and accuracy is increasing, companies might be finding a way out as to what does not construe as 'misleading' and find a way out to only provide the information which does not reflect flaws in their corporate performance. Basically they will find a loophole in the law. I made an additional assumption which is actually a big no-no.
E thus seemed weaker.

Experienced this for the first time, I brought in the biases/ outside information based on my background and observed realities ( I am a chartered accountant thus aware of the possibility of companies wiggling out of the scope of law).

Learnings-
1. DO NOT bring in additional assumptions
2. Beware of your biases in questions you can relate to
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Apple Inc
Own Kudos [?]: 124 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Saupayan: Mazumdar
Concentration: Economics, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GRE 1: Q170 V160
GPA: 3.89
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
generis wrote:

CR56601.02

New laws imposed strict penalties for misleading info. Also they required increased amount and accuracy of information.

So analysts' predictions were expected to become more accurate.

But number of inaccurate analysts' predictions has not decreased.

What will explain this?

We are not given that it is being interpreted incorrectly to continue to mislead. Even if that were the case, one would still wonder that given that corporations are required to increase the amount and accuracy of information, why hasn't the number of analysts' incorrect predictions decreased?

Irrelevant.

Even if information released was true, the new laws require more information to be released and for it to be not misleading (say one side of the story is told but not the other). One would expect the analysts's predictions to become more accurate.

If one source's accuracy has improved, one would expect the overall result to improve. It may not become perfect because other sources are not inaccurate but one would expect overall accuracy to improve.

This tells us that new laws bring in new troubles too. Though info is more and accurate, the more pieces of info lead to more difficulty in organising. Hence, the analysts's predictions have not improved makes sense.

Answer (E)

Hi Karishma,
option E: can you tell me how we go from "difficult to organize" to "wrong predictions"? This requires an assumption that any data that's difficult to organize leads to less accurate predictions. Why are we assuming that? (From real-life experience, I will say difficult to organize data makes it harder to analyze but doesn't neceesarily lead to inaccurate predictions, esp if the data is of superior quality)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Schools: Booth '26
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
When new laws imposing strict penalties for misleading corporate discl [#permalink]
generis wrote:

CR56601.02

Following this discussion, I believe the real issue is between D and E now. Argument is, if we have to make assumptions to get the question correct, we can do it for either D or E. So why is only E right? I think i can help.
Let us see the assumptions we have to make to get each of these options right:

Quote:

To make this option right anwer, we have to assume that one of the (or many) other sources must have reduced in their accuracy. And this can explain the descripancy.

Quote:

To make this option the right option, we have to assume that the increase in difficulty to organize WILL translate into not being able to BETTER organize (Read question again, it says: number of inaccurate analysts' predictions has not in fact decreased (this means, the accuracy either has remained same or has gooten worse).

Now, both seem reasonable. In such a scenario, we have to see which assumption of ours is less biased and hence more likely.

For the assumption in option D, we are assuming that one of the (or many) other sources must have reduced in their accuracy. But is there any support in the options that helps us to go this route? Nope! We just assumed it because we wanted to prove this option correct. One could similarly assume that the accuracy of these sources actually increased and hence claim the option to be incorrect. So, our position here is a bit weak and biased.

Now, for the assumption in option E, do we have any support? A weak support but yes it is there! It says "the more difficult it becomes for anyone to organize them". This essentially says things are becoming more difficult. Therefore, we defientely can not expect something good out of it. At best case, things will remain same, but at worst the accuracy will fall. It is in line with what we expect. So this support gives us a few brownie points here. Hence correct option is E.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Send PM
does a manageable way means = accurate predictions or not? No, So I still think D is the best answer
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7779 [2]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Remember that on discrepancy questions, we aren't looking for an answer that PROVES the discrepancy MUST exist. We already know that the discrepancy exists, and we're looking for an answer that provides a plausible mechanism for that to happen.

D is of no value, because we already know that there has been a positive change in the amount of information available. Corporations are disclosing more, and so more information is available for analysts to use in making their predictions. The fact that other sources are used doesn't matter. We still want to know why this NEW source of valuable info hasn't improved predictions. Basically, for D to work, we'd need to know that the new info wasn't getting used much or wasn't adding value. Something like this: "Analysts typically do not use information provided by a corporation in making predictions about that corporation's performance."

E, on the other hand, gives us exactly what we need: some NEGATIVE factor that offsets the positive of more info. If the gains in information are offset by a loss in organization, this could be a problem. Does it prove that predictions will not improve? Certainly not. But, since we know that predictions did not improve, is this one possible reason for that failure to improve? Sure.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I have an issue with the explanation. It is stated that the number of inaccurate analysts’ predictions has not in fact decreased.

Now, assume that the overall sample base increases (companies for which the prediction is done), then even if the number of absolute inaccurate predictions stays the same, we can conclude that the accuracy of the analysts has infact increased.

Why cant we look at it from this angle, since its a common GMAT CR question type where they swap percentages with absolutes?

I had marked option B considering this angle
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63695 [1]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
bpanther wrote:
I have an issue with the explanation. It is stated that the number of inaccurate analysts’ predictions has not in fact decreased.

Now, assume that the overall sample base increases (companies for which the prediction is done), then even if the number of absolute inaccurate predictions stays the same, we can conclude that the accuracy of the analysts has infact increased.

Why cant we look at it from this angle, since its a common GMAT CR question type where they swap percentages with absolutes?

I had marked option B considering this angle

You're right that the overall number of predictions could increase, but we certainly can't assume that this is the case. There is just nothing in the passage that supports such an assumption.

And even if the overall number of predictions DID increase, the information in (B) doesn't explain the discrepancy in the passage. Here's (B):
Quote:

We just have no idea what this change actually looks like. Perhaps corporations now have to release information in December and June -- how does that impact the number or accuracy of predictions? There is simply no way to know. So, this really doesn't explain why the number of inaccurate predictions has remained constant despite the new laws.

So (B) is out.

As a side note: sometimes you'll notice a really juicy gap in the argument, like you did here. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that the correct answer choice will address that particular gap at all, so you can't only look for options that tie into that particular thing. (E) gives us an entirely different explanation for the discrepancy, and it is the correct answer.

I hope that helps! ­
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts