Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:45 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [25]
Given Kudos: 197
GPA: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [5]
Given Kudos: 214
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V29
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
GPA: 4
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1816 [2]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: The payload rating (PR) of a truck is the truck's recommended load [#permalink]
Kudos
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Bunuel & Others:

Would love your thoughts on this one. The Min response as per OG is 52. This response seems a bit strange, as there is nothing in the Q Stem to suggest that when the truck is carrying 52T, it is fully loaded. In fact, in choosing 53T as the Max value (and not 52), the OG Implies that the truck could very much be plying at below full capacity. So based on the same logic, I would have thought the minimum value would be 49. What am I missing?

A recommended load (PR here) is a load upto that the truck can carry the load safely. However, its not like that the truck can't carry more than that. It can carry more than the PR but that would be unsafe.

So, 53 is the maximum value possible for PR beyond which three loads two of 54 and one of 56 was hauled by truck. In that case truck carried four lesser weights. I hope ill this point things are clear as the conditions(exactly three more than the PR) laid in the Question stem is satisfied.

Lowest PR value possible is 52. Here the truck carried exactly two loads weighted exactly to PR and three more than that. Thus lesser weights carried are less compared to the earlier case. Again the condition is satisfied.

Initially, it seemed bit ambiguous though.

Hope this is clear.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 420 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Re: The payload rating (PR) of a truck is the truck's recommended load [#permalink]
52 min
53 max

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 228
Send PM
lnm87 wrote:
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Bunuel & Others:

Would love your thoughts on this one. The Min response as per OG is 52. This response seems a bit strange, as there is nothing in the Q Stem to suggest that when the truck is carrying 52T, it is fully loaded. In fact, in choosing 53T as the Max value (and not 52), the OG Implies that the truck could very much be plying at below full capacity. So based on the same logic, I would have thought the minimum value would be 49. What am I missing?

A recommended load (PR here) is a load upto that the truck can carry the load safely. However, its not like that the truck can't carry more than that. It can carry more than the PR but that would be unsafe.

So, 53 is the maximum value possible for PR beyond which three loads two of 54 and one of 56 was hauled by truck. In that case truck carried four lesser weights. I hope ill this point things are clear as the conditions(exactly three more than the PR) laid in the Question stem is satisfied.

Lowest PR value possible is 52. Here the truck carried exactly two loads weighted exactly to PR and three more than that. Thus lesser weights carried are less compared to the earlier case. Again the condition is satisfied.

Hope this is clear.

Can u explain this?
why can we take pr as 54 and other three weights be 56 each
also
for min why it cant be :
49 as then 3 can be 50 and all others can be 49
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1816 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
vanam52923 wrote:
lnm87 wrote:
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Bunuel & Others:

Hope this is clear.

Can u explain this?
why can we take pr as 54 and other three weights be 56 each
also
for min why it cant be :
49 as then 3 can be 50 and all others can be 49

If you read the question carefully you will see that exactly three weights must be more than PR so 53 is max. 54 would go against the question requirements.
For min PR see that the requirements would again be unfulfilled.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
robu1 wrote:
if we take 53 max as PR then three loads greater than 53 are 54,54,56
if we take 52 min as PR then three loads greater than 52 are 54,54,56 in this case too.
if we take 49 min as PR then loads greater than 49 are 50, 51, 52, 52, 54, 54, 56. ( 07 nos) which conflict the given condition: The truck has hauled exactly 7 loads, exactly 3 of which had a greater weight than the truck's PR.

i hope this makes clear.

I am confused...For the maximum, the problem states that 3 loads are greater than the truck's PR which would mean 56, 54, and 52. We can't count a number twice...

That would mean 51 is the max. If you take 53 as the max, then that would violate the claim that there were 3 loads greater than the truck's PR, no?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 189
Send PM
CEdward wrote:
robu1 wrote:
if we take 53 max as PR then three loads greater than 53 are 54,54,56
if we take 52 min as PR then three loads greater than 52 are 54,54,56 in this case too.
if we take 49 min as PR then loads greater than 49 are 50, 51, 52, 52, 54, 54, 56. ( 07 nos) which conflict the given condition: The truck has hauled exactly 7 loads, exactly 3 of which had a greater weight than the truck's PR.

i hope this makes clear.

I am confused...For the maximum, the problem states that 3 loads are greater than the truck's PR which would mean 56, 54, and 52. We can't count a number twice...

That would mean 51 is the max. If you take 53 as the max, then that would violate the claim that there were 3 loads greater than the truck's PR, no?

I initially made that same mistake thinking i cannot count 52 Twice or 54 Twice

But 52 CAN BE COUNTED twice.

The following suggests that

If 52 and 54 CANNOT BE counted twice as you mention above

-- Min value becomes : 51 [as you 52 (albeit 2 isntances of 52) , 54 (albeit 2 instances of 54) and 56 (one instance only)]

-- Max value becomes -- there is no max value you can come up with as you need 3 different payloads (irrespective of number of occurences)

i) lets say you try 52 -- only 54 (two instances) and 56 (one instance) -- only two payloads are seen - 54 and 56.
ii) lets say you try 53 -- only 54 (two instances) and 56 (one instance) -- only two payloads are seen - 54 and 56.
iii) lets say you try 54 -- 56 (one instance) -- only one instance of 56 is seen

But per the question stem - you should be able to get 3 payloads (irrespective of number of occurences) when choosing a max value too

But there
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33021 [1]
Given Kudos: 5781
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Official Explanation

According to the information provided, the PR is a whole number of tonnes, and among the seven loads (weighing 50, 51, 52, 52, 54, 54, and 56 tonnes), exactly three exceeded the truck’s PR. Given this, the PR must be a whole number of tonnes less than 54 and no less than 52, so the truck’s PR can be either 52 or 53 tonnes. Therefore, the least possible value for the truck’s PR is 52 tonnes.

The correct answer for Least is 52.

Based on the explanation above, the greatest possible value for the truck’s PR is 53 tonnes.

The correct answer for Greatest is 53.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Explanation:
A: Apply

According to the information provided, the PR is a whole number of tonnes, and among the seven loads (weighing 50, 51, 52, 52, 54, 54, and 56 tonnes), exactly three exceeded the truck's PR. Given this, the PR must be a whole number of tonnes less than 54 and no less than 52, so the truck's PR can be either 52 or 53 tonnes. Therefore, the least possible value for the truck's PR is 52 tonnes.

The correct answer is D, 52.

B: Apply

Based on the explanation for A, the greatest possible value for the truck's PR is 53 tonnes.

The correct answer is E, 53.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM