GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 01 Apr 2020, 10:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The payload rating (PR) of a truck is the truck's recommended load

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Stanford MSx '21
GPA: 4
The payload rating (PR) of a truck is the truck's recommended load  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2019, 19:25
The payload rating (PR) of a truck is the truck's recommended load weight, which is specified as a number of tonnes (t), where 1 tonne = 1,000 kilograms. A certain truck's PR is a whole number of tonnes. The truck has hauled exactly 7 loads, exactly 3 of which had a greater weight than the truck's PR. The weights of these 7 loads, in tonnes, are as follows:

50, 51, 52, 52, 54, 54, 56.

Select the Least and Greatest possible values for the truck's PR, in tonnes. Make only two selections, one in each column.

Attachment:
Screenshot_2.png
Screenshot_2.png [ 2.87 KiB | Viewed 476 times ]

Spoiler: :: OA
A (Least) = 52, B (Max) = 53
Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Stanford MSx '21
GPA: 4
Re: The payload rating (PR) of a truck is the truck's recommended load  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2019, 19:35
Bunuel & Others:

Would love your thoughts on this one. The Min response as per OG is 52. This response seems a bit strange, as there is nothing in the Q Stem to suggest that when the truck is carrying 52T, it is fully loaded. In fact, in choosing 53T as the Max value (and not 52), the OG Implies that the truck could very much be plying at below full capacity. So based on the same logic, I would have thought the minimum value would be 49. What am I missing?
Director
Director
D
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Re: The payload rating (PR) of a truck is the truck's recommended load  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2019, 21:37
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Bunuel & Others:

Would love your thoughts on this one. The Min response as per OG is 52. This response seems a bit strange, as there is nothing in the Q Stem to suggest that when the truck is carrying 52T, it is fully loaded. In fact, in choosing 53T as the Max value (and not 52), the OG Implies that the truck could very much be plying at below full capacity. So based on the same logic, I would have thought the minimum value would be 49. What am I missing?

A recommended load (PR here) is a load upto that the truck can carry the load safely. However, its not like that the truck can't carry more than that. It can carry more than the PR but that would be unsafe.

So, 53 is the maximum value possible for PR beyond which three loads two of 54 and one of 56 was hauled by truck. In that case truck carried four lesser weights. I hope ill this point things are clear as the conditions(exactly three more than the PR) laid in the Question stem is satisfied.

Lowest PR value possible is 52. Here the truck carried exactly two loads weighted exactly to PR and three more than that. Thus lesser weights carried are less compared to the earlier case. Again the condition is satisfied.

Initially, it seemed bit ambiguous though.

Hope this is clear.

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
Manager
Manager
P

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2019, 21:28
52 min
53 max

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 09:52
lnm87 wrote:
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Bunuel & Others:

A recommended load (PR here) is a load upto that the truck can carry the load safely. However, its not like that the truck can't carry more than that. It can carry more than the PR but that would be unsafe.

So, 53 is the maximum value possible for PR beyond which three loads two of 54 and one of 56 was hauled by truck. In that case truck carried four lesser weights. I hope ill this point things are clear as the conditions(exactly three more than the PR) laid in the Question stem is satisfied.

Lowest PR value possible is 52. Here the truck carried exactly two loads weighted exactly to PR and three more than that. Thus lesser weights carried are less compared to the earlier case. Again the condition is satisfied.

Hope this is clear.

Can u explain this?
why can we take pr as 54 and other three weights be 56 each
also
for min why it cant be :
49 as then 3 can be 50 and all others can be 49
Director
Director
D
GMAT 1: 580 Q43 V27
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 10:27
vanam52923 wrote:
lnm87 wrote:
TargetMBA007 wrote:
Bunuel & Others:

Hope this is clear.

Can u explain this?
why can we take pr as 54 and other three weights be 56 each
also
for min why it cant be :
49 as then 3 can be 50 and all others can be 49

If you read the question carefully you will see that exactly three weights must be more than PR so 53 is max. 54 would go against the question requirements.
For min PR see that the requirements would again be unfulfilled.

GMATPREP1 590(Q48,V23) March 6, 2019
GMATPREP2 610(Q44,V29) June 10, 2019
GMATPREPSoft1 680(Q48,V35) June 26, 2019
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V29
The payload rating (PR) of a truck is the truck's recommended load  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2020, 23:11
if we take 53 max as PR then three loads greater than 53 are 54,54,56
if we take 52 min as PR then three loads greater than 52 are 54,54,56 in this case too.
if we take 49 min as PR then loads greater than 49 are 50, 51, 52, 52, 54, 54, 56. ( 07 nos) which conflict the given condition: The truck has hauled exactly 7 loads, exactly 3 of which had a greater weight than the truck's PR.

i hope this makes clear.
GMAT Club Bot
The payload rating (PR) of a truck is the truck's recommended load   [#permalink] 18 Feb 2020, 23:11

The payload rating (PR) of a truck is the truck's recommended load

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, Bunuel