Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 23:22 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 23:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GRE 1: Q167 V164
GPA: 9.02
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
The Red Pen Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
Send PM
Re: Profile Review Request and college consideration advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
crucifier wrote:
­ 

­ 
­Hello

Please evaluate my profile. (targetting R1 2025 intake)

Demographics
I am 24 yr old, Male, India. (25 with 3 year+ workex at matriculation)

Education
I have a bachelor's degree from a top 10 college in the country with a major in Computer Science Engineering. CGPA: 9.02 out of 10 (Top 10 in the graduating batch).

GRE
GRE 331 (V164, Q167, AWA 5) 

Work Experience:
2 years at BlackRock as an Analyst

• Look after the external representation of the firm, i.e by looking developing and maintaining the country websites across regions.
  • Conduct sprint calls and draw product roadmaps for the tools that are under my stewardship.
  • Automate the Model portfolio solutions models for the fixed income funds and contribute to the portfolio strategy. 
  • Mentor and help onboard the new interns into the larger team (~2-3 interns a year)
  • Internation expiernece (working with clients around the globe)
Not sure if internships are accounted for...

Intern at Tata Motors as an App dev

• Created a mobile application that would modernize the old maintenince registry into an automised solution. (featuring auto escaltions, notifications, etc)
Extracurricular activities

• During my undergraduate years, I led the Google Developers Student Club as its community lead, overseeing approximately 40 members. I attended numerous Google-sponsored seminars and disseminated the knowledge to the club.
  • Additionally, I collaborated with NGOs to educate underprivileged children and women about sanitation and basic education.
  • In another project with an NGO, I worked on a Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) headset to aid people with C5 spinal injuries in communication and wheelchair control, garnering recognition in a prestigious newspaper.
  • I have played football at the district level and served as the captain of my college team. I also organise & take part in the football events at work.
Post-MBA Goals: I aspire to enter the fields of consulting or product management, with potential interest in exploring opportunities in finance.

Target Schools: (potential) Ross, Tepper, Kellogg, UCLA, and Hass  (guide me on choosing other M7/T15 colleges too :)

Query: I seek guidance in choosing a career stream (Product Management or Consulting) and assistance in selecting the right business school with a strong heritage in consulting or technology.

Thank you in advance!­

­Hi @crucifier, 

Internships will not be counted as a part of your work experience. However, you can show it as a part of your profile enrichment experience.

Your overall profile seems right on track with the right post-MBA goals.

However, the cohort applying with you will have work experience ranging from 3-4 years and above, bringing in more overall experience and knowledge. Your work experience might prove to be limited during your applications. Nevertheless, we recommend scheduling a call to discuss your profile and aspirations in detail to draw a roadmap for you. 

You can schedule a free one-to-one with our MBA consultants here
You can also connect with them via call at +91 7780769732
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:

Work Experience:
  • Look after the external representation of the firm, i.e by looking developing and maintaining the country websites across regions.
  • Conduct sprint calls and draw product roadmaps for the tools that are under my stewardship.
  • Automate the Model portfolio solutions models for the fixed income funds and contribute to the portfolio strategy. 
  • Mentor and help onboard the new interns into the larger team (~2-3 interns a year)

• Created a mobile application that would modernize the old maintenince registry into an automised solution. (featuring auto escaltions, notifications, etc)
  • During my undergraduate years, I led the Google Developers Student Club as its community lead, overseeing approximately 40 members. I attended numerous Google-sponsored seminars and disseminated the knowledge to the club.
  • Additionally, I collaborated with NGOs to educate underprivileged children and women about sanitation and basic education.
  • In another project with an NGO, I worked on a Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) headset to aid people with C5 spinal injuries in communication and wheelchair control, garnering recognition in a prestigious newspaper.
  • I have played football at the district level and served as the captain of my college team. I also organise & take part in the football events at work.
Post-MBA Goals: I aspire to enter the fields of consulting or product management, with potential interest in exploring opportunities in finance.

Target Schools: (potential) Ross, Tepper, Kellogg, UCLA, and Hass  (guide me on choosing other M7/T15 colleges too :)

Query: I seek guidance in choosing a career stream (Product Management or Consulting) and assistance in selecting the right business school with a strong heritage in consulting or technology.

Thank you in advance!­

­Hi Crucifier.

Thats an overall competitive profile. 
Your Academics are super solid and well complemented with a 330+ GRE score. Together, both the GPA and the GRE are going to make a strong academic component. 
Another positive would be your work experience. Financial firms being voracious users of technology, give you a great chance to innovate and make a solid impact on business. With this in mind, when you start to draft your resume, make sure that you are able to quantify your achievements and show what $$ impact you have created and how that has improved the way business is conducted. For example, "Automate the Model portfolio solutions models for the fixed income funds and contribute to the portfolio strategy." - by what peracentage did you increase efficiency through automation and how did that impact business to run faster/ earn more.
You should think of similar achievemnets for the rest of your resume. If your role so far has not allowed you to work on responsibilities with business impact, then you could try seeking more such responsibilities in the months following up to the application deadlines. This is just a suggestion for profile enhancement. Also, internships are usually not included in the resume or considered as work experience, so your present work at Blackrock has prime importance and would be a great way to further solidify your profile.
Your ECAs are good too, but I feel you can take up some activities now. You have already taken the GRE and achieved a good scrore- for most applicants having a competitive score is the biggest hurdle in their application journeys - but you have overcome this hurdle. And that leaves you with some extra time in your hand before the fall. Take up a few projects, which could be a continuation of the work you did during undergrad (tech community building and voluteering, for example). Or, you could do something new. Having currents ECAs will really round out your profile. Towards this, do note- some b-schools give you separate space to fill in undergrad ECAs and post grad ECAs. You would want to include material in both parts, so time to get woring on this bit.
Regarding your goals- I would lean towads product management as that seems better aligned with what you have done in the past as well as your education. That said, think deeply about what interests you more and you can build a narrative around that.
Your b-school list sounds alright- I would add Duke, Stern and Booth (among M7) if I were to generate more options.

Do reach out for further consultation. 

Namita Garg,
Founder, MBA Decoder
Email: contact@mbadecoder.com
Profile evaluation: https://mbadecoder.com/services/free-pr ... valuation/

­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi @crucifer,

We appreciate you sharing your details. Upon initial assessment, your profile is quite compelling. Your tenure at BlackRock, internship at Tata, and engagement in projects with NGOs, combined with an impressive GRE score, position you well for admission to many top business schools in the US/EU.

However, drawing from our experience, we would like to offer some candid advice. Typically, 2-3 years of work experience might not suffice for an MBA program. We often recommend candidates to aim for around 5 years of professional experience at the time of admission. This allows them not only to appreciate the value of the program for themselves but also to contribute significantly to the cohort. The return on investment of an MBA program extends beyond securing a job post-MBA; it also encompasses the lessons learned in the classroom and their application to accelerate professional growth. US/EU MBA programs emphasize practical application of classroom learning, which is best appreciated when candidates have already dipped their feet in the same pond.

Given that you have some time before submitting your application, there's ample opportunity to build your MBA brand. By leveraging your professional and academic background, you can further refine your MBA brand in the months ahead.

Please feel free to reach out for a 30-minute consultation call. We would be happy to assist you in determining the right timeline, selecting suitable schools, and guiding you through the application process in the coming months.

--
Regards,
team master's admit
mastersadmit(dot)eu@gmail(dot)com
visit our website www(dot)mastersadmit(dot)com to book free consultation
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi crucifer,

Thanks for sharing your profile. I agree with the opinion shared. Your work and extra curriculum look quite impressive, which makes your profile right to fit into desired B schools. Don't forget to write about the internship with Google when you go down to the application essay.

Since the GMAT is one of the essential criteria to apply for an MBA, having a good GMAT i.e above the average score would certainly make changes to your profile. Most schools shortlisted above are suitable for applying, predicting if you have your expected GMAT score. Considering almost all the schools mentioned here have their average GMAT around 720.

If possible do tell us more about your extra curriculum and certifications, to give us more clarity on your profile to share more inputs on your profile.

You can also try our unique B school selector tool to evaluate your chances for an MBA program to fit your career goals.­
Admission Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 73 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Expert Reply
Your profile is quite striking and well-rounded.

Starting with your academics, a CGPA of 9.02 and the GRE score of 331, sets a solid foundation for your MBA application. A stronger GRE would definitely be a plus.

Your professional journey at BlackRock, internship at Tata Motors along with your extracurricular activities are equally commendable. 

As for your post-MBA goals, both consulting and product management are lucrative and intellectually stimulating fields. Given your background in technology and strategy, product management might seem a more natural transition. However, consulting offers a broader exposure to various industries and business problems.

Considering your target schools like Ross, Tepper, Kellogg, UCLA, and Haas, you're already looking at institutions with a strong footing in technology and consulting. To widen your scope, consider the following for a technology industry orientation:

1. MIT: Sloan
2. UCLA Anderson School of Management - already in your list
3. University of California at Berkeley: Haas - already in your list
4. Stanford Graduate School of Business
5. University of Southern California: Marshall
6. Carnegie Mellon: Tepper - already in your list

If you decide to orient more towards a post MBA career in Consulting then you could also evaluate the schools below. You do have a few of these in your target list already.

1. Columbia Business School
2. Northwestern University, Kellogg School of Management
3. MIT: Sloan
4. Cornell University: Johnson
5. University of Chicago: Booth
6. Dartmouth College: Tuck
7. Duke University's Fuqua School of Business
8. Yale School of Management
9. University of Virginia: Darden
10. New York University: Stern
11. University of Southern California: Marshall
12. Carnegie Mellon: Tepper

To choose between product management and consulting, reflect on what aspects of your current role and past experiences you've enjoyed the most. If you thrive in fast-paced, varied project environments and enjoy solving complex business challenges, consulting might be your calling. On the other hand, if you are passionate about technology and enjoy seeing the tangible impact of your work through product development and lifecycle management, product management could be more fulfilling. Go backwards from where you see yourself in the future.

Remember, networking with alumni and attending information sessions of your target schools will help you make a more informed decision.

Your profile definitely stands out, and with a well-crafted application, you should have a strong shot at your target schools.

Best of luck!
crucifier wrote:
­ 

­ 
­Hello

Demographics

Education
I have a bachelor's degree from a top 10 college in the country with a major in Computer Science Engineering. CGPA: 9.02 out of 10 (Top 10 in the graduating batch).

GRE

Work Experience:

Thank you in advance!­

­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi Crucifer,

I suggest you stick to consulting as your preference for Tepper and product management will not bode you well. Tepper along with HCI have a MS in Product Management Program since 2018 and the credibility of the program is very low. 47 of 51 are Indians and placement rate is very poor. MSPM 2023 batch has nearly 24 out of 50 people unemployed. They graduated end November early December. It is over 5 months now. The current 2024 batch is also struggling to score internships which starts next month. Please speak to the alumni and academic directors to provide statistics before applying. I am told the frustration level is very high in this program for varying reasons.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Hi,

Your academic background is excellent.  Your GRE score too.

Your Work experience is not a hundred percent clear - were you in a Tech. services function or a Business/Financial analysis function?  I'm getting the feeling it's got elements of both, but that it is leaning more towards the tech. end of the spectrum?

If yes, then you may need to be slightly conservative with your school choice - but a T15 may still work.

If you are in fin. services, and have done some rock star work in that area, then an M7 can open up.  You'll close in a T15 for sure.  Feel free to reach out for a profile evaluation, and we can chat more.

Best,
Karthik
Quote:

Quote:
­ 

­ 
­Hello

Demographics

Education

GRE

Work Experience:

Thank you in advance!­

Quote:
crucifier

­
GMAT Club Bot