Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 06:18 It is currently 01 May 2024, 06:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 119
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 802 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22108 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Seeking advice - score stagnation [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Your top practice test scores for each section are DI81, Q81, V88, which results in a score of 675 (96th percentile). 
So, it would seem that you have skills necessary to get a top-notch score. The hard part is doing well on every section on test day. 
Sometimes a handful of silly mistakes can kill your scores. 
So, to this end, I suggest the following article: Improving Your Accuracy on the GMAT

Here are a few more articles that might help: 
- GMAT Error Log: Do I Need One?
- GMAT Verbal Tips and Tricks for the Focus Edition: Top 10 
- How GMAT Students With a Growth Mindset See Their Mistakes
- How to Get Faster at GMAT Quant Questions

If you have any questions, please reach out to us in Live Chat.   
 ­
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
FediseK700+ wrote:
­Hello,

I am seeking advice on how to proceed further with my GMAT preparation. During the last four months, I was intensively preparing for the GMAT Focus exam with TTP (Expert + track, as I am aiming for a 700+ score) and completed all the chapters from quant, verbal, and data insights. Before that, I went through the majority of the practice questions from the OG, but my preparation was not structured, and I felt that I was stagnating, so I decided to purchase the TTP course. To know my baseline score, I also did one official mock exam, where I scored 535 with a high verbal score (although I did not tick the last question, I got 81/90), below average quant (75/90), and data insights (74/90).

I felt that my preparation went well, and I think that the TTP course helped me to understand the basic concepts and taught me all the important theories that I did not know before. During the TTP practice exams, I was able to almost always reach the target accuracy on all the easy, medium, and hard quant tests, but I was often struggling with time. Except for the mission review tests, I almost never finished the chapter tests on time and focused mostly on accuracy. I mostly did the test that was proposed at the end of the chapter, and then one chapter test from each difficulty level. For verbal, I felt that the easy and medium verbal tests were very easy, as I mostly got 100% on them, but the hard ones were very difficult, and I had to often redo them to reach the target score. I was struggling with data insights the most and had trouble reaching the target score on even the easy tests. This has thrown me off, as I found all the other material more manageable.

After I completed the TTP course, I started to do the mock exams, and to my shock, after more than 500 hours of studying, I got the same score as at the beginning of my preparation. I felt like the questions were too different from the ones tested on TTP, especially their wording and how they required the utilization of multiple concepts at once. I was also struggling with time and had to often guess on the last few questions. So I started to do additional quant tests on TTP but timed. After a few weeks, I was able to reach the target scores on all difficulty levels for all chapters, often with a few minutes to spare. When I moved to the mock exams again, my scores were almost the same and I had the same issues as before. 

I don't even know how to interpret the mock exam scores. Quant is often my weakest part, but I sometimes get very high verbal and data insights scores and sometimes very low ones. I am desperate and don't know what to do. Can you please give me some advice on how to proceed? Did some of you experience a similar situation? If yes, what did you do?

Here are all my mock exam scores in chronological order:

First practice exam:
535 with 74 (DI)/75/(QR)/81(VR)

After the preparation:
535 with 78/76/76
575 with 81/76/78
595 with 72/79/88
555 with 74/76/82

Thank you very much for your help.­

­Hi! I will give you a video link that I created just yesterday about exactly the same issue (score for mock exams not improving by much). It will for sure help. But before that I would like to call out that you have spent a lot of time on preparation and your fundamentals must be strong by now. The only thing you need now is a solid test-taking strategy. This means you will have to work on a lot of time-paced practice sessions where, let's say, you start with 10 questions in 20 mins and then slowly move to 21 questions in 45 mins on quant (and adopt a similar strategy for other sections). In the beginning, pretty much all the aspirants face the same issue that you are facing (running against time) or if they focus on time then the accuracy goes for a toss and vice-versa. It's bound to happen, just that you will have to keep practicing and things will eventually fall in place.

Here are a few things you should do (and you can watch the video for detailed info if you like the pointers)

1) Build a test-taking strategy and no matter what happens, don't budge from it. (example: Spend 11 mins on Q1 to Q5, 10 mins on Q6 to Q10 (you can take 1-2 risks), 10 mins on Q11 to Q15 (you can take 1-2 risks), 14 mins on Q16 to Q21. This also means that (since GMAT clock runs backwards) when you have 36 mins left, you should be at Q5 (considering you need 2 mins to answer that question), when you have 26-27 mins you should be at Q10, when you have 15-16 mins you should be at Q15 (since you will need 1-2 mins to answer that question).
2) Analyze your mistakes on each test
3) Review your correct answers on each test to ensure that you are getting them correct with right reasoning (and in stipulated time)
4) Identify patterns i.e. take note of the type of questions you are consistently getting incorrect, concepts/fundamentals on which you struggle, and questions where you spent more than 2 minutes (were they correct or incorrect)
5) Maintain an error log and keep reviewing it during your practice sessions to ensure you are working on the weak areas. Review the error log a day before the next test so that you remember the mistakes you made on the last test and you don't repeat them on the next one (it should be there in your subconscious mind)

I would also like to ask a few questions to understand in granular detail

1) At what frequency did you take these mocks?
2) How exactly were you practicing between the mocks (or during your regular practice sessions between two mocks)?

Here is the video link: The Art of Analyzing GRE/GMAT Mock Tests!

Blog Link: Boost Your GMAT/GRE Scores: The Art of Analyzing Mock Tests

Feel free to schedule a complimentary call to discuss the test-taking strategy in detail or to discuss the above pointers.
Intern
Intern
Send PM

BrightOutlookJenn wrote:
Hi Fedisek700+

Thanks for your post.

You mention working through TTP and then moving on to the mock exams ... but have you worked through the material in the Official Guide? If not, I would suggest that as the immediate next step.
GMAT wording can be pretty weird, so you need to expose yourself to as much recent GMAC-produced content as possible once you've covered all the concepts in a source like TTP. Of course, do not rely on the official explanations for guidance as to the most efficient ways of solving the question; for that, come here to GMATclub!

Are you keeping an Error Log to analyze your mistakes? You didn't mention it. It's crucial to assess what's driving your errors: process errors ("silly mistakes") vs. content issues vs. mindset problems. Once you know what the issues are, then you can make a plan to address them. If you are not spending time and effort in analyzing what caused a mistake, then mock tests are wasting your time. A mock test allows you to rehearse what you plan to do on test day, get feedback from that rehearsal, and then fine-tune your performance before the next show. (The purpose of a mock test is NOT to predict your score and NOT to make you feel good about yourself.)

Finally, can I ask why your initial target is a score above 700? On the Focus, a score of 705 is the 98th percentile; it's comparable to a 750 on the Classic GMAT. Do you really need to rank in the top 2% of all GMAT candidates to be competitive at your target programs? Sometimes this kind of a goal is motivating, but sometimes it turns your GMAT prep into a pressure-cooker atmosphere that is less than constructive. I just wrote a new post about what represents a good score on the GMAT Focus.

Happy to hear back from you!

Best, Jennifer­

Dear Jennifer,

thank you very much for your reply. I have done the official prep material as well; I have gone through most of the questions untimed at the beginning of my preparation before I even purchased TTP, and I tried to practice the official questions timed after I went through the course. Of course, the TTP course offers an in-built error log, and I also used one for the OG questions. Especially for TTP, I revisited all the bookmarked questions at least once and had the impression that I had improved my understanding of the majority of them. My errors are due to a combination of factors. 

Quant seems to be consistently my weak point, although I have dedicated by far the most time to it. I sometimes make silly mistakes (misreading, simple math mistakes, etc.), although I would rather say that these are mistakes due to time pressure. It is often the case that I try solving an example, and after that, I realize that it is not the correct approach. It might not be necessarily wrong, but the answer choices require a different approach, which I was not able to recognize at first glance. It also happens to me that I solve a question correctly, with the correct approach, but the solutions are again written differently, and in panic, I don't recognize that. However, my most frequent mistakes arise from the fact that many quantitative questions simply surprise me with how they are formulated or that they require the utilization of multiple concepts and their application in a way I have not seen before. I often know the underlying concepts that are needed but fail to combine them, or I solve the example just partially and get stuck. Finally, I often struggle with time and have to guess the last two or three questions. I have also realized that I mostly struggle with the last section on the mock exams due to fatigue, irrespective of what order of the sections I choose.

In the verbal part, my scores tend to fluctuate, ranging from the 30th percentile to the 99th percentile. I think this depends on the order in which I choose to do the exam sections. I always do quant first, and when I do the verbal second, it tends to be relatively good; when I do it as the last, it tends to be bad. I have also noticed that, although I might get a question right, I am often not 100% sure about the answer and have to rely on my intuition.

My performance on data insights seems to fluctuate a lot and is again quite dependent on the section order. Additionally, I have a feeling that the section as a whole is sometimes much more difficult than at other times.

I want to apply for some of the best finance master's programs in Europe (LSE, St.Gallen, etc.). Although they often don't mention a minimum required GMAT score, from what I have read here on the forum, they are quite competitive, and most people apply with a 700+ score on the old GMAT.­
Intern
Intern
Send PM

ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Your top practice test scores for each section are DI81, Q81, V88, which results in a score of 675 (96th percentile). 
So, it would seem that you have skills necessary to get a top-notch score. The hard part is doing well on every section on test day. 
Sometimes a handful of silly mistakes can kill your scores. 
So, to this end, I suggest the following article: 

Here are a few more articles that might help: 

If you have any questions, please reach out to us in Live Chat.   
 ­

­Dear Scott, 

thank you for the reply. I will take a look at your suggested material and reach out to you in Live Chat.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
1) Build a test-taking strategy and no matter what happens, don't budge from it. (example: Spend 11 mins on Q1 to Q5, 10 mins on Q6 to Q10 (you can take 1-2 risks), 10 mins on Q11 to Q15 (you can take 1-2 risks), 14 mins on Q16 to Q21. This also means that (since GMAT clock runs backwards) when you have 36 mins left, you should be at Q5 (considering you need 2 mins to answer that question), when you have 26-27 mins you should be at Q10, when you have 15-16 mins you should be at Q15 (since you will need 1-2 mins to answer that question).
3) Review your correct answers on each test to ensure that you are getting them correct with right reasoning (and in stipulated time)
4) Identify patterns i.e. take note of the type of questions you are consistently getting incorrect, concepts/fundamentals on which you struggle, and questions where you spent more than 2 minutes (were they correct or incorrect)
5) Maintain an error log and keep reviewing it during your practice sessions to ensure you are working on the weak areas. Review the error log a day before the next test so that you remember the mistakes you made on the last test and you don't repeat them on the next one (it should be there in your subconscious mind)

2) How exactly were you practicing between the mocks (or during your regular practice sessions between two mocks)?

­Hello,

Thank you very much for the useful tips. I will try to implement them moving forward. Regarding the practice tests, I did the following:

I took the first mock after familiarizing myself with the test structure and problems. This was just going over the OG questions and reviewing some of the ideas that I had previously learned but forgotten. Then, I purchased TTP and followed their recommended study plan. This meant that I did the next two mocks after going through all the TTP material, which was about 4 months after I took the first test. I struggled with data insights the most by far and did not feel well prepared for this section, but I was pressured by the university application deadlines, so I decided to try the mock exams. After taking the second mock test and realizing that my score did not improve at all, I waited a day or two and did the third mock, with a slight improvement in score (surprisingly, data insights was by far my strongest section, although I was the least confident there and dedicated the least time to it). I originally planned to take the real test in May, as I wanted to apply for the 2024 university intakes. However, after I realized that my score was so far off my target, I got quite depressed and canceled my exam appointment. 

My last chance to submit my applications was in April, so I tried to practice the OG questions (timed) for about a month and was able to reach ~80% accuracy on quant and verbal. Then I took the last two practice exams a day apart. However, after practically making no improvement, I resigned from my original goal to take the test and apply to universities this year.­
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
FediseK700+ wrote:
Quote:

­Hello,

Thank you very much for the useful tips. I will try to implement them moving forward. Regarding the practice tests, I did the following:

I took the first mock after familiarizing myself with the test structure and problems. This was just going over the OG questions and reviewing some of the ideas that I had previously learned but forgotten. Then, I purchased TTP and followed their recommended study plan. This meant that I did the next two mocks after going through all the TTP material, which was about 4 months after I took the first test. I struggled with data insights the most by far and did not feel well prepared for this section, but I was pressured by the university application deadlines, so I decided to try the mock exams. After taking the second mock test and realizing that my score did not improve at all, I waited a day or two and did the third mock, with a slight improvement in score (surprisingly, data insights was by far my strongest section, although I was the least confident there and dedicated the least time to it). I originally planned to take the real test in May, as I wanted to apply for the 2024 university intakes. However, after I realized that my score was so far off my target, I got quite depressed and canceled my exam appointment. 

My last chance to submit my applications was in April, so I tried to practice the OG questions (timed) for about a month and was able to reach ~80% accuracy on quant and verbal. Then I took the last two practice exams a day apart. However, after practically making no improvement, I resigned from my original goal to take the test and apply to universities this year.­

­Hi! I have replied to you via PM.
GMAT Club Bot