Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 20:39 It is currently 01 May 2024, 20:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620591 [1]
Given Kudos: 81712
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65031 [1]
Given Kudos: 429
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Larry, Michael, and Doug have five donuts to share. If any [#permalink]
KarishmaB wrote:
Sahith_Manikanta wrote:
Quote:
Consider this: we have 5 donuts \(d\) and 2 separators \(|\), like: \(ddddd||\). How many permutations (arrangements) of these symbols are possible? Total of 7 symbols (5+2=7), out of which 5 \(d\)'s and 2 \(|\)'s are identical, so \(\frac{7!}{5!2!}=21\).

We'll get combinations like: \(dd|d|dd\) this would mean that Larry got 2 donuts, Michael got 1 donut and Doug got 2 donuts, so to the left of the first separator are Larry's donuts, between the separators are Michael's donuts and to the right of the second separator are Doug's donuts

Answer: A.

This can be done with direct formula as well:

The total number of ways of dividing n identical items (5 donuts in our case) among r persons or objects (3 persons in our case), each one of whom, can receive 0, 1, 2 or more items (from zero to 5 in our case) is \({n+r-1}_C_{r-1}\).

In our case we'll get: \({n+r-1}_C_{r-1}={5+3-1}_C_{3-1}={7}C2=\frac{7!}{5!2!}=21\).

­Hi Brunel. I have a doubt here.
We're sharing 5 donuts among 3 individuals here right, and we don't have any constraint as to who will get any number of donuts.
So, each donut will have 3 options to go to (3 individuals). So, shouldn't the answer be 3x3x3x3x3 = 3^5.

The method you've stated is very valid, but my method is from questions like "3 letters need to be posted into 4 letter boxes". Where each letter has 4 options to go into, so 4^3. I don't seem to find any difference between these questions.

If you think the method I stated doesn't belong here pls clarify it. GMATNinja KarishmaB. Anyone pls clear my doubt.

­
The two situations are different. You are talking about distributing distinct objects - 3 different letters. Here this question involves distributing 5 identical objects (items of a given food are considered identical unless stated otherwise. So 5 apples means identical apples).

The handling of distinct objects vs identical objects is very very different. This question will be solves using separators as Bunuel mentioned above.
I have discussed various such cases in my section on Distributions in Combinations study module. You can check it out on Sunday through Super Sundays program. Details here:

­Ok, so had the donuts are of different flavors or something which do not make them identical, then 3^5 should be correct right?­
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Larry, Michael, and Doug have five donuts to share. If any [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92987 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts